MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
I am fairly new to bread making. I've recently started making all our bread from scratch (I must be getting better, because dh is a picky eater and has begun to let me make his!). I have a recipe that we really like that makes good sandwich bread, but after the first day it gets crumbly. There are just so many crumbs falling from the sandwiches! It's weird, because I wouldn't call it "dry" but it starts to crumble apart. My friend recommended using a dough conditioner, but I don't know what that is, and I'm trying to keep my ingredient list as short as possible. In all other ways, it's great. Texture, density, moisture, taste... it just gets crumbly. I keep it sealed. What can I do to help with this?

www.aquietlittlelife.blogspot.com

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  7:47:50 PM  Show Profile
You can get dough enhancer online at PleasantHillGrains.com It is lecithin and helps keep the texture of the bread uniform. How much oil does your recipe use? I find that the more oil the better. My recipe uses 1/2 cup. Also, how long are you kneading it and how are you kneading it?

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile
I second the dough enhancer, you can buy it or make your own, just google dough enhancer recipes. There are several versions out there, but I like the one that includes pectin and gelatin. It will also help your bread keep its freshness a little bit longer. I use this recipe http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/breadbuilder.html and have had great success.

I also use honey instead of sugar, it will also help increase the moisture.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

mindy_marie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mindy
Fargo ND
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
I have the same problem with my bread! Thank you for bringing this up, Melody!

Mindy
Farmgirl #3290
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  7:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Too much flour added makes a crumbly loaf, plus over baking. Good luck.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile
For 1 loaf, it's almost 2 tablespoons of oil. Should I try using more oil and less water?

I must admit, I've gotten very lazy lately with my kneading, and I have let the Kitchen Aid dough hook do the job! The bread turns out well, so I didn't see a problem with the shortcut, but perhaps I should put more heart into it. :)

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  8:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Melody, using the dough hook is fine. I use mine and knead it with the dough hook for 8 minutes usually. My bread recipe is at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=608 and it uses 1/4 cup of oil (4 tbsp) for one loaf and 1/2 cup for two loaves. I also put a tbsp of oil in the bowl, put the dough ball in and turn it so that the oily side is on top then cover with a wet towel to rise. When I form my loaves, I oil my hands too. Just a thought.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:23:06 PM  Show Profile
@Mary Beth: That's more oil than I usually use, and a longer kneading time, but otherwise I do the rest the same. I'll have to try your recipe. Thanks for the tip!

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  06:19:27 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I forgot to ask you, are you using home ground flour? And if so, are you using hard red or hard white wheat berries? If not, then never mind! ;-)

Mary Beth

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Jul 23 2011 06:29:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Also, I've noticed that if I add a cup or two of self-rising flour, I get a more "solid" loaf. I have NO idea why.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  8:23:07 PM  Show Profile
I use a combo of whole wheat and white (unbleached/unbromated) bread flour. Not home ground. I think it's going to take a few more years of farmgirling to get to that point! :)

What is self-rising flour? I mean, what properties does it have that make it self-rising?

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Melody, the only reason I asked about the flour is that if it is home ground it has to be sifted and sifted. A lot of people don't realize that because we are used to getting pre-sifted flour at the store. What you are usin is just fine and I think that you will really like the sandwich bread recipe at the blog. BTW, self-rising flour has salt, baking powder and baking soda added to the flour. I think that if you try that bread recipe, your whole wheat and unbleached will be totally sufficient.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  9:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so I tried the recipe a couple of days ago, and I am still unable to tell you about its crumb. We ate the first loaf within 24 hours of it coming out of the oven, and I just pulled the other loaf out of the freezer at lunch today. So, it is apparently delicious! I think it's going to be much less crumbly than my other recipe (this one has replaced that one, as per picky dh's request--great job!), but I guess we'll need a little more time to see how it is when it hangs around a little longer.

There are a few substitutions that I had to make. First, I can't have dairy so I used water instead. And I didn't have dough conditioner, so I used 1 1/2 t ground ginger and the yolk from the egg white (that was what I came up with as a make-do conditioner, based on what I read about conditioners and what I had on-hand). I'm sure it would help a lot if I could use the powdered milk, but that is reason #1 why I'm making my own bread in the first place.

So, perhaps we'll see tomorrow if our second loaf is crumbly. But probably not, as it is already nearly gone. :)

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  04:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Great, Melody!! My dh loves this recipe and I read him your account with a giggle. He said that if you all keep on at that rate, like we have, you'll have to check into Weight Watchers too!!! :-) We love that recipe for sandwiches and cut it with a finely serrated knife for a smooth cut. I really don't think leaving the milk out will make that much difference, but if you can order the dough enhancer, you'll like the results! So glad you liked it.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  09:21:28 AM  Show Profile
The second loaf didn't last long, either. But it was good! And less crumbly, even after being frozen. Perhaps when the novelty of a new, delicious bread wears off (as well as that of a new, delicious batch of homemade peach jelly!) it'll be easier to resist it, and it will hang around longer. :)

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  09:28:06 AM  Show Profile
I make my own bread with home ground flour. I use only whole wheat and definitely use dough enhancer. I don't sift my flour I just use it straight from the grinder. I have never had a problem with it being dry or crumbly. I make 4 loaves at a time. The recipe I use calls for water,oil,honey,yeast,lecithin, flour and salt. I don't add the salt until right before I put in the second addition of flour.
So nice to see others making their own instead of eating all those preservatives and air in the bread at the store.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why does my bread get crumbly? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page