Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Sweet Italian peppers... pickled???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sweet Italian peppers... pickled??? Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  09:41:41 AM  Show Profile
My garden is not doing so great because of all the rain, wind, bugs, and tomato blight. But it looks like my sweet italian peppers are going to have a bumpter crop this year.

I was wondering if I could pickles them. I have seen a few recipes for pickled peppers. What I would like to do is pickle them so they taste like the ones at subway. They are kinds sweet and spicy. Not sure what recipe would have a good outcome for these. These peppers are long and turn red when they are ripe.Some of them are about 9 inches long but are still green. I figure I will have at least 50 of these when they ripen. I am so excited but want to do something with them besides freeze them. The pickled peppers at subway taste so good. They have a crunch to them and are sweet and spicy at the same time.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Linda,

If you have the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, there is a recipe for "Pickled Peppers" that would probably work. I *think* the peppers at Subway are pepperoncinis. I grew some of those last year and put them up using the above mentioned recipe. Let us know what you come up with! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Candy. I will look into finding seeds to grow those kind of peppers. I thought they were banana peppers or something like that. Did you like the way your peppers turned out using the recipe from the ball canning book?
I wonder if I will get good results using the sweet italian peppers. Guess I will have to wait for them to ripen and try it.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sweet Italian peppers... pickled??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page