Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cherries $5.67/lb!!! Next Topic  

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  9:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ok so I am not sure where to put this, but Cherries are one of my favorites that we hardly ever see over here. Well, yesterday I went to the store and was soo excited to see two boxes full of cherries!! ...but then I saw the price! Oh my *sigh* I do so miss so many fruits I am used to having!! I talked to someone who said in the states they are around $1.50/lb. Dunno if that is true or not but this just made me even more homesick and longing for my little dream farm even more because a Cherry tree is on the must have list for what I will plant on my farmette!! And of course Tina's picture of that bowl full of cherries...well I just wanted to dive in!!!
What is in season and how much where ever you are??
Hugz to all!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  9:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I wish I knew where to get cherries for $1.50/lb. I also just love cherries but I don't see them for less than $2.99/lb. and I live in Michigan (we export most of the world's sour cherries)! I may have to plant a cherry tree too because I've been just green with envy today about Aunt Jenny's shopping bags full of sweet cherries.

Where are you located now?

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow..I sure do appreciate even MORE my neighbor giving me all those cherries to can up now!! Wow!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  08:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Laura, right now we live in Okinawa, Japan. So being a fruit lover is not a good thing here...they are more into vegetables here. Strawberries are $3-$4 per little container, peaches and nectarines? What are those? Blue berries, bosenberries, raspberries only frozen. Golden Delicious apples...not here. Pears? nope just asian pears once in a while. Grapes come and go. The only for sure fruit we have is apples(red ones), bananas, and oranges. We do get a bunch of tropical fruit which you would think being we live in a tropical place would be the least expensive...but nooooooo there are times they want $6/lb for mangos. Watermelon when we get it is crazy.... I miss fruit so much!! Ok I will stop complaining now ...I just miss fruit! I love hearing everyone talk about the canning and pies and goodies they are making and I am so looking forward to the day I can do it again too!! Yummie!!!
Hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  08:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I think if I were in your shoes I would buy a pound of cherries at whatever price, and savor every one of them. I would wash them and then pop them into my mouth one at a time, bite down and let that sweet juice just trickle out of them as I slowly chewed it, enjoying every drop of its sweetness. I think this would help with the homesickness for fresh fruit. It takes going away sometimes for us to remember just how blessed we are.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Vanessa
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Vanessa
Central GA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:28:08 PM  Show Profile
ITA with Eileen. Splurge on a pound and savor 'em!

(I did get cherries on sale yesterday for $1.87, but they've been $3.99 the rest of the season, and I've paid it.)
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile
Two weeks ago sweet cherries special ordered from Michigan at our local orchard here in Ohio were 10-lb tub for $14.00 so I guess that is $1.40 a pound.

A week ago I went looking for pie cherries IN Michigan and there were none to be found at any price. Go figure!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  4:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Yes Eileen, I think I will!!! I wish now I had and on Sat. when I go back there I think I will have to do that!! I LOVE cherries!! It is just I have four little ones and so I can't just splurg for me..got to buy for the whole gang..lol... but Hubbie was upset I didn't being homesick and all he wants me to march right back and get a nice big bunch ...I hope they still have em!!
Hugz to all!!

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile
You go, Buttercup!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Buttercup...think of it this way: people pay tons more money for a nice steak! especially if you get one at a steakhouse...or what about fudge? Good chocolates or fudge can be $10 a pound...a steak can be $8 a pound if you cook it yourself...$25 if you go out to eat....
Go buy yourself a bunch of cherries
You deserve a treat
Kate
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  7:28:14 PM  Show Profile
I just paid $5.50 for a pound and a half of Bing cherries. They are worth every penny (and I'm a penny pincher). I agree with katydid...splurge, and make them a yummy dessert.
Barbara in Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thanks!!! I think I will!!! And you are all right...they are more then worth it!!! Yummie...Cherries here I come!! lol

What is in season there now that you are all enjoying?!?

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  05:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Blueberries are at their height in the Midwest. I bought several quarts and my son and I ate handfuls of them and then I froze what was left. I want to get more but I don't know if I'll have time before we leave for our vacation.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  2:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Yup, cherries are around $5/lb up here in Canada too. But the blueberries are cheap and plenty. I don't get around to freezing them, since I eat them too fast!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately in the midwest nothing is REALLY cheap. But peaches/nectarines are in season (from Georgia and California I think). Most of the ones I've eaten have been good...not too many disappointing dry, mushy ones (nothing worse than biting into a peach and getting dry, mushy!). Midwest melons (mostly cantalope) are good right now and not a bad price--$2 per. Blueberries are almost done in Ohio (good prices anyway). Most of our farm markets in the suburbs are selling the same thing the groceries are selling, which is not locally grown. Nothing is really ready in Ohio yet. But I harvested my first tomato today and peppers are about ready too. Waiting on cucumbers and yellow squash...so far they've beat the old squash vine borer!!
Barbara in Ohio
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  4:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Loving the blueberries -- which are now coming to our Chicago markets from Michigan. Really big berries and so good! Thanks, Michigan, for those lovely berries!
Go to Top of Page

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  7:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I just bought Sweet and Red Cherries today. Both were marked DOWN to around $5 a lb. They sure are delicious though. I guess I have to plant a few trees....
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  10:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh wow....so great to hear about it all!!! I know what you mean Barbara... I hate dry mushy peaches But I do love good ones!!! I was surprised to hear that some of you are paying close to what I am here ..... but aren't they good!!?? I love blueberries too!! We dont get them here. I use to go self picking for raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries every year.... My second oldest loves fruit and he would just sit there with a pint on the way home and eat!!! It was the cutest!!! I love to self pick so I know they are ripe and plump and juicey!!! They make the best whatever...so sweet and juicey!!!
Thank you all for sympathizing and sharing..think of me as you all chow down on fruit...and I will let you know how wonderful the Cherries are when I get 'em!! lol
Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Some lucky farmer/marketer is getting $15.00 a pound! (Well, actually $29.99 a pound but then they are doing a two-for-the-price-of-one sale....) I say more power to them if they can get that much...
http://products.proflowers.com/productdetail.aspx?pID=6163&lng=&REF=CMFeppfeature&validAcc=&selectionTypeID=&COBRAND=CMF Unbelievable! Blueberries are in season here, for $29.99 a pound I will go pick some for you! (LOL-just kidding)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  2:35:01 PM  Show Profile
It's not the farmer that's getting the $15 a pound -- look at that pretty packaging. This is marketing markup for sure. But still lovely.

Since this discussion on the short cherry season and how we deserve those juicy treats, I've purchased cherries for myself twice this week. Yum! Thanks, Washington state, for excellent cherries!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  6:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh my Brenda!! I guess if you are where their are no cherries, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! And yes please, pick some and send 'em right over so I can make some blueberry jam!!!

And Kate, I am so glad you have!! You all are so right..they are so worth it!!! I couldn't go this weekend, a bunch of things came up, But am going tomarrow for sure...Oh I hope they still have a bunch!!!

Hugz to all and keep enjoying that fruit just a little extra more for me!!!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  04:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
so guess what....
there were no Cherries, they said they will get more though, but they had PEACHES!!! I have not had a fresh peach for over three years!!! I bought three packs and did not even look at the price!! So tonight I had one fresh and one with Bryers natural vanilla icecream and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH My kids just stared at me as I mmmmm and slurped my juicy peaches...they also had fresh blueberries. They were like $3.80 per little 3 inch square but I got them anyway!!! I am so happy!!!!!! Now I just really hope they get some more cherries back in!!! I am a happy farmgirl right now!! Oh and my husband was stealing pieces and was very happy too!! Thank you all for the push to splurge!! It did a homesick farmgirl's heart good!!!

Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cherries $5.67/lb!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page