Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The Ingalls connection....any others?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Ingalls connection....any others? Next Topic  

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  3:30:22 PM  Show Profile
For quite awhile I have known that my great, great grandmother's (on my Mother's side)maiden name was Ingalls and that she lived in South Dakota. I didn't give it much thought at first knowing that Charles Ingalls never had any sons that lived so there couldn't be a connection to Laura. I recently started the search for ancestors on my mother's side and found to my surprise that Philena, my great, great grandmother was Charles Ingalls cousin. I was so excited!! Charles and Philena's grandfather was Samuel Worthen Ingalls Sr. One of Philena's son's middle name was Worthen. That pretty much clinched it!! I had the right Ingalls. I have loved Laura's books for a long time and have read them over and over. I worked as an interpreter of life in the 1800's at Old World Wisconsin and every time I put on my petticoat and work dress, or hoops, or a bustle, I would feel like an Ingalls myself. Little did I realize then the connection there really was. Now, I have a question. Do any of you out there have a connection to the Ingalls also? I would love any info or copies of pictures of the lesser known family members. Pictures of Samuel sr and jr would be wonderful. Thanks

"He treads the soil, with earth-love in his heart;" Ardon Antony

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness!!
I have no connection what-so-ever to the Ingalls, except my pure obsession with the "Little House on the Praire" shows, books, etc... :)
I have the entire book series, and have read them since I was about 10 years old, and I am now 50.
My cousin and I used to pretend that we were Mary and Laura...does that give you a clue as to how much we loved them??
How wonderful for you that you found the history and the ancestory. Good luck finding other family members!

http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I always wondered if the Ingalls women had infertility issues. Laura had two and one died and the other two girls who married never had children plus her daughter Rose had a son who died so three generations who lost their only son.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  5:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jan...how exciting! I took a quick peek on Ancestry.com and there is alot of info. There are alot of family trees connected to her so I doubt you will have any trouble finding the information you are looking for. Good Luck!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile
I just noticed you are in Tomahawk. Part of my family came from Norway and settled in Marinette, which isn't that far from you.

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Vicky, I found most of my info on the Latter Day Saints site but I'll have to get the 14 day trial on Ancestry and work like crazy for 2 weeks to find what I can on there.

Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile
How cool! I have been to her adult home in Mansfield, MO., Rocky Ridge Farm, where she wrote the books. I love everything about the Ingalls.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  03:29:29 AM  Show Profile
How exciting for you! I love all her books as well, and I am 54 lol. Still read them once in a while. Also have the books about Rose, her daughter.

I have recently started my own search of MY ancestors and boy...am I having fun with that! Found out SO many things...enjoy YOUR search :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  07:37:51 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could claim that ancestry. Good, strong people. My nearest claim to fame is I'm distantly related to Davey Crockett's wife.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  07:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Correction...I didn't put in the full name of my great, great grandmother....it's actually Ellen Philena Ingalls.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:18:26 PM  Show Profile
I went to bible school with a gal from SD who was related to the Ingalls. That's as close as I get.

I wear my cape around my waist.

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com
www.turnerhilltea.com
http://www.turnerhilltea.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  9:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Jan,

Have you ever seen a picture of her?

~Vicky~

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:45:28 AM  Show Profile
Vicky, no I don't know if anyone has one. The South Dakota relatives are more interested in the other side of the family, Ellen's husband. I need to see if my mother or aunt has any contact info so I can call or write to someone there. I personally don't know any of them. The search continues....

Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  7:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Jan,

Emailing you.

~Vicky~

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  11:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Got it and replied....thank you

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Ingalls connection....any others? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page