Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 I'd love some baby food recipes!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic I'd love some baby food recipes! Next Topic  

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:13:07 PM  Show Profile
I would just love some either ready to eat meals that are baby food, or some baby food recipes from MaryJane! I think that would be so wonderful!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Most foods can be eaten by baby as long as they are soft enough.

Personally I have never given mine any "baby" food.

Good first foods are things like avocados (soft, mushable, and they don't choke on it), I just slice it easy enough for them to pick up themselves. Bananas-may want to slice in half length wise, too much slicing though will make them gooey and slippery. cooked carrots cut into chunks. cooked till soft green beans, or really any beans! torn up small pieces of bread, or tortillas, or pancakes. scrambled eggs.

Personally I just look at each meal what ever looks soft enough or cut up in chunks enough and edible for her we put on her tray. So far so good for us. Really I can't think of much she hasn't eaten from the time we intro'd non breastmilk food.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  5:47:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Heather! So what were you starting with at 6 months?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  7:15:58 PM  Show Profile
These are AMAZING!

http://www.babycubes.com/

I loved them when Rosemary was a baby. I used a small hand food grinder then could freeze a bunch at once. Rosemary really liked sweet potatoes and peas this way.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  7:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Rice, not baby food rice, just regular cooked rice, also puffed brown rice almost on contact with baby saliva fall apart and is mushy and never had one of mine choke on it. Soft avocado. Pretty much most pinchable (babies kind of pinch with their fingers to pick it up) foods that were soft and small like that. Mushy green beans....it's been about a year, but that's off the top of my head.

You may want to check out this link, it kind of describes my approach really well, I think.

Oh and baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, both of those bake up really really soft, I would just kind of fluff with a fork, or cut into cubes (not uniform or anything just a rough chop) and put on babies tray. Those are still my girls favorites. Funny they are the only kids I know of that don't like "mashed" potatoes! But, love a good baked one! lol I must admit I love some smashed taters! lol But, my girls would rather just have a baked one any day. I think they just got used to it cause it was always easier for me to bake potatoes then mash them so I didn't make mashed potatoes often but we did eat baked sweet and regular potatoes often. So...that's what they think is normal. lol They aren't in to pureed foods of any kind now though as a result. lol They like texture! lol

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm

How I think about it is....how did people do things before blenders, and baby food companies? That usually helps me figure it out a bit more.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 18 2011 7:58:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:05:33 PM  Show Profile
That is such an awesome way to think about it!!! (Probably more fun, too!)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:33:24 PM  Show Profile
I love this way. I am so glad I found it. It is sooooooo much cheaper and easier! I don't have to worry about having "baby" foods on hand, buying them or making them! I just make our regular foods and put it in their plates. I think as a result they are not very "picky" eaters either, and will eat anything the rest of the family is eating.

Oh cooked till soft pasta even plain is both one of my girls favorites too. I cut it into non chokable pieces at first, till they are good at knowing how to handle the food, after that they seem to do fine with it as is.

I also do NOT feed my children. They feed themselves. I don't get out spoons and sit there in front of their chair spoon feeding them at all. I put it on their tray and let them go at it.

I will say though all children are different. I am pretty sure DD1 is ADD/ADHD. I noticed if I put too many choices on her tray or too much of any food on her tray it would over whelm her and she would just throw it on the floor and not eat. If I just put a few bites at a time on her tray of only one kind of food she would eat it all and want more, over and over again. Ending up eating quite a bit. But, if I put all the amount of food she would eat in those little bits at a time all at once on her tray she would look at it, get a look on her face and throw it on the floor. I think it was just overwhelming to her. Then DD2, if you don't put "enough" on her tray she gets mad! She wants lots on her tray! lol haha Or she screams and tells you about it! lol Also if she is sharing food with you (say ice cream-ok Ice cream I do spoon feed her! lol haha) and she starts seeing the amount getting smaller she wants it all, and gets mad if you even take one bite. lol Like hey, it's getting low and we have to start rationing here, you're first person out! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:10:41 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree Heather. Just mash up whatever you are eating, and don't make anything special. Another thing to try too, we got these fantastic things that have little mesh baggies attached to handles. They open and close on a hinge and lock. you pop them open, put some food in, and snap it shut. Tada! Kid eats whatever, and you don't even have to worry about choking. These were a life saver for me and my daughter who wanted to do it herself, thank you very much attitude. Made dinner time A LOT easier. You can get them at any baby store, I got mine at my baby shower. But I've seen them everywhere, including Walmart.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted one of those Sarah and never ended up getting one. I think they are great for teething too. Cause you can put half frozen (don't want completely frozen and freezer burn them!) or very cold fruit in them and let them go at it for teething. I may get one this next go around though. I always like I said wanted one! Every one loves them that has them. My step mother said all her patients (she's a dr) goes on and on about how great they are.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile
I have seen these at Babies R Us! I'll have to stop and get some!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  6:41:22 PM  Show Profile
My daughter makes her own for my granddaughter. She just cooks it, puts it in the blender and then puts it in individual little containers in the freezer. When she wants to use it she put it in the refrigerator to thaw and then warms it a little when it is time to give to her. This is the food before finger food. She is 7 months now but I think she started around 5 or 6 months. She does good size batches and doesn't buy anything different then the rest of them eat. Very economical too. Not time consuming either.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic I'd love some baby food recipes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page