Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pressure canner questions Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  12:46:07 PM  Show Profile
I've never canned with a pressure canner, and I know there have been threads on which is the best one. Can you help us out with that again?

Also, I do need one for canning tomato sauce and ketchup right?

I had planned on canning these this year, but just realized we never bought a pressure canner. I am wondering what they cost also. Ugh.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  12:57:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a Presto and love it. You can easily get replacemement parts for it and it suits my needs just fine. I have heard All American re the best, but I simply cannot afford one at the moment. I saw a 16 quart Presto pressure canner at Walmart for $64.88 the other day. I have a 23 quart but for my family could have gotten bu with the 16.

Tomato based you can water bath due to the acidity of the tomtoes, but I use my pressure canner for everything else!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Elizabeth. I completely forgot out getting one, and that we needed one this year. I just made another 8 pints of pickles today, and realized I never got my outdoor dehydrator made either (for drying my cayenne peppers). I made the pickles without the peppers, but it made me think about lots of things we need. Ugh. I typically keep a journal to make notes for this, but never bothered to double check it.

Thanks again. I may have to wait until next year. I just got our electric bill - it's higher than last month and we used less (prices went up).

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Kristina, I have a Mirro and absolutely love it. I got it in 1977 but I noticed that they are still making them just like mine.

As far as your ketchup and tomato sauce, you only need a waterbath canner for those. Tomatoes are acidic and the added vinegar to your ketchup makes it even more acidic.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget you can go to your county extension agent and get recipes and the canning times for your area. It is a great help.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile
I purchased my Presto at the end of the season a few years ago,(never used it until this year) it was marked 1/2 price. If you can wait you may get a good deal. I like mine, I have the 23qt, this is the only pressure canner I have ever owned, and I have no complaints. I have canned everything in sight this year so it has been used a lot, at last count 407 jars.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple of questions about the Presto... It says it's good for smooth top ranges - does that mean I can use it on my glass top range? Also, it says in the manual it is only recommeded that you use MASON jars... I haven't ever seen Mason jars around here at all, but I have Ball jars - are those okay, do you know? I really need a pressure canner and have been eye-in the one at Wal-mart for two years... I'd like to buy it, but I'm not sure I can really use it. I really appreciate this thread - and everyone's help! Thank you! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  6:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Nini--I use Ball jars with no problems. Maybe they just mean to use canning jars, some people use the term interchangeably I have found. I am also pretty sure you can use a glass range, you just have to REALLY watch the pressure gauge. My Presto has a smooth flat bottom that would be fine on one. I used to water bath on my old one, and just had to be real carfeul to watch the heat. I am so happy to have a gas range now. When we first moved in here that was the first thing I saw and squeaked, my husband thinks I am a nerd! That one at Walmart is a good deal for $65 (I think)!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you should probably check with your extension agent and take the manual to your range into them. The problem with glass top ranges is that they have a sensor that cuts the heat when it gets to a certain level in order to keep from cracking the glass. That keeps the pressure canner from pressurizing correctly. Also, pressure canners have been know to crack the glass anyway. I would sure check before investing. Just a suggestion.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  05:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. Last year was the first time I ever made homemade salsa, but we ate it up (all 15 qts) so fast, I never boil sealed them. Every year I try to can more items.

I have an electric (very, very old)stove. I hate it, but it gets us by for now. I will never buy the flat top ones either. Our plan (big dream here), is to build an island (which we have room for) put in a new stove that has 6 burners run on propane (we have propane for our hot water heater here) vs. electricity. Our other dream is to build an outdoor kitchen with a wood burning stove. Last year we looked at 6 burner stove tops and fell in love with them. That would give me lots of room for canning.

Farmgirl #800

Edited by - FieldsofThyme on Jul 18 2011 05:53:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  07:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Ok I am going to be the one that jumps in and says "if you can afford an AA canner then get one". I LOVE my AA canners! The quality is excellent and they will out live me. In fact my 22 yo DS and wife have put their name on them. They are also made in the USA!!!! Alot of time you can find them on ebay or craigs list and even garage sales, but you have to be right on top of things to get them that way. My first one was purchased through the online store and the second through ebay.

You need to check your stoves warranty, sometimes they are void if you can on them. My sil had to replace the top of hers and it would have been cheaper to buy a new stove!

Also you do not need to pressure can your tomato sauce or ketchup, but if you are adding meat to your sauce than you will deffinatly need to pressure can.

When I originally bought my first AA I thought it may be used a few times each canning season. I now use it for canning year round. We have part of a cow coming next month and I will be canning part of it. We don't buy canned beans from the store anymore, because it so simple and cost effective to can our own. Point is if you use it alot, it will pay for itself many times over.

Happy Canning!
Lillian
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  08:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Nini
I have a flat glass top stove & pressure can all the time. The weight is much less than a water bath, so you should be OK. When I bought mine, I asked about canning & they had one version that had one extra large burner that can take the weight of the water bath.
Also, as far as the heat going down like Mary Beth said, I have never noticed that, but I always stay close to make sure the proper pressure is maintained throughout.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pressure canner questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page