princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Well the deer got in my garden again last night. I am crushed...All the leaves are gone from the zucchini and the cucumbers and brussel sprouts.

Help!!!! Will they grow back? Should I try new plants? I am in Growing Zone 4. I am at a total loss here. Hubby is going to make the fence higher tonight, but I am hoping to salvage my garden.

Arttie

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:11:25 PM  Show Profile
I would think it's too late to plant more plants for either of them. Our first planted seeds were washed about by the rains. Then we bought plants and a few died and a few are struggling to get up to size. The ones that have gotten larger, and doing great, but the smaller ones can't take the heat. I have to water the smaller plants every day to keep them alive. Very frustrating too. We don't have any yellow summer squash this year either (bummer). If you had a green house it might be possible. I'm not real certain. Hopefully, others can post their thoughts for you too.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:18:58 PM  Show Profile
We had such a late Spring that things are now just taking off. I have had quail that ate most of our lettuce, cuke & squash leaves 7 pea pods stems & beans. I put lawn chairs, night lights etc out there & i now have blossoms on most. Plants try hard to please and struggle to live. it won't hurt to keep them weeded, watered & say a prayer or two. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Think you would do better with the established naked plants. However, try to see what you can do to keep out the pesky deer. They must think your veggies are wonderful too.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  6:46:32 PM  Show Profile
If you still have blossoms they will produce with out the leaves.

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be happy, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  7:42:02 PM  Show Profile
I would let them try to live, and plant some more, you never know, your winter could come late, and you might get a decent crop...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got up this morning to find the deer ate the rest of my garden. Everything is completely wiped out. We put up more fencing yesterday, tied ribbons on everything and all the males had to pee around the garden all day yesterday. Didn't work.

So I spent my morning crying and finally went out for a run to exert some frustration. UGH!!!!!!

Hubby promised that next year I will the 'fortress style' fence (10 feet tall and bullet proof)......He felt so bad for me this morning.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Arttie!! I am so sorry that the deer got your garden!! That is so frustrating!! I love deer- but not anywhere near where I am growing food!! I think the 10 foot deer proof fence is your best bet! You could also try adding bells to the new improved fence.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
How frustrating for you Arttie! Hope next year goes better!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:45:06 AM  Show Profile
So sorry about the deer. Hope something is salvageable.
Go to Top of Page

mountainmomma
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Miriam
Jonas Pennsylvania
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  07:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Send mountainmomma a Yahoo! Message
Every year we have the same problem with the deer getting to the plants before we can cover them with mesh. It's not too late to plant more beans here in zone 6. I will only replant where plants are beyond recovery. So sorry for your lose; I know how it feels.
Miriam
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile
i am soooooo sorry this happened. hugs going your way. i too would be sad. maybe you could replant a few things they done eat. hang in there. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh that stinks!!! I would try to let them live and if you happen to find some transplants that maybe a nursery has you could do those for a late crop and of course you could try planting an early variety of squash. If it gets too late in the season where the frost is threatening my late crops I will just make a temporary hoop type house with plastic to finish the garden off this year. I'm going to plant a few more bush beans and some peas,lettuce, cucumbers, spinach and another crop of late type radishes yet this summer. Oh and carrots too. I don't think it's too late for us but since you are farther north than I am I would probably plant some more squash this week just in case your current plants end up dying.

Oh and another thing is I don't know if you have a farmer's market up by you but sometimes you can get random plants from the people there, it never hurts to ask! :) Best of luck!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  08:53:50 AM  Show Profile
I've heard that human hair works well too, if you put it around the garden/on the paths/between rows. Maybe it would be worthwhile to talk to a hair dresser & see if you can take the hair & spread it around???

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Deer and rabbits are a serioes problem in my area, too, even though we are not rural. If you go to a salon, explain the problem and ask if you can have some of the swept-up hair put in a bag for you to sprinkle around the garden and yard. Also, get some cheap garlic powder in bulk and sprinkle that heavily around your garden - rumor has it they don't like the smell, but you have to re-apply every few days. You might want to try putting windchimes on poles in your garden and on hooks on the deer-deterrent fence around it.

I'm sorry they destroyed all your plants this year. I've been fighting them off my stuff left and right this year.

Don't get me wrong - I think they are beautiful creatures, just not in my garden!!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic HELP!!!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page