Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Sky's ACL Surgery Update #8 ( a good one!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sky's ACL Surgery Update #8 ( a good one!) Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  3:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky is going to be having her ACL surgery (finally) this coming Thursday. She does have a few bumps that are going to have to be evaluated before surgery because if the chance of cancer is high we unfortunatly would have to make the PTS choice instead of surgery decision. I am nervous and a part of my heart is breaking at the thought of having to say good bye to my sweet Sky Dog. Here's hoping the doc will say her lumps and bumps are benign.

****Sky's surgery went well but she is having a hard time with the medicine. She is vomiting blood and refuses to eat. We have her on some antacids that the on call vet recommended, but I need to call my vet this morning and speak with him.

****Last night, Sky was able to hold down her food for the first time since surgery. She was given about a quarter of a cup of soft dog food for sensitive stomachs. She also drank water and I gave her a saline/sugar water mix because I am sure her electrolytes were way off.

****We are now 24 plus hours of food given and no vomiting. Her hives are now almost completely gone and she has finished a full can of wet dog food and, some tuna fish, a few bites of refrigerated but dry dog food and a milkbone and a half (large size). She is has continued to drink water. I think she is on the mend! I decided to go ahead and give her the antibiotic tonight as I am worried about infection and I also gave her a quarter tab of Deramaxx. I think that since she has food in her stomach, she should be okay for both of these and I am hoping that we will start seeing some improvement in her energy and appetite over the next few days.

Sky threw up again on Saturday when I wasn't here. Doug said it was quite a lot each time. I am giving her a prescription anti nausea pill as of Saturday night (thank goodness for an awesome vet who will send me meds through the mail!) Sunday was a good day. She ate eggs and some plain yogurt. I thought we were on the road to recovery. Her incision is well on the way to being healed already. It looks so much better and the fur is growing back at the surgery site. However this morning I woke to find that she had not slept in the bedroom like she normally does. She was in the bathroom and chilled to the touch. She got outside and did her potty and then laid down again. I got her up and as she went inside she was putting some weight on her foot but now she is laying on the floor shivering/shuddering. She has zero interest in food. I think her night on the floor and then putting weight on her leg is affecting her. I got her anti nausea and the pain pill in her. I am hoping giving her the pain pill on an empty stomach doesn't cause a bleeding ulcer, but I think her body will process it quicker than her supressed system post op. She is drinking water still so I am not worried about her kidneys.

I know she is recovering from major surgery and I shouldn't expect her to be back to normal so soon, but this up and down routine is starting to frazzel me. It is possible since she ate so heartily yesterday that she just isn't hungry today. She has stopped losing weight and her hip joints don't looks so knobby as they did when she was refusing food for a whole week. Sometimes even when she is healthy she self-fasts. I just would prefer her to have food on her stomach when I give her the medication. I hope she feels better by this evening!

*****Sky was running a fever this morning. Not a horrible one, but not good either since she has had surgery involving her bone. The vet is mailing me Subcue antibiotics.

***** Sky's injection antibiotics arrived yesterday and I gave her the first one. So far I am not seeing any improvement in demeanor. She still is refusing most food. She drank about 2 tablespoons of milk (she gets milk frequently in day to day life so I know she isn't intolerant) and she had about 1/2 of an animal cracker. She licked the meat I tried to give her but wouldn't swallow. This is going to drive me nuts!! Probably she is fine but she hasn't eatten anything of substance for several days.

*** Well I finally had to take things into my own hands. I force fed Sky some vitamin enriched broth (about 60 mls) And then I "helped" her eat a few table spoons of dog food. A couple of hours later I got the dog food out again and she voluntarily ate several tablespoons and I helped her eat a few more. Then she ate half of a large dog biscuit! After another little while she came back inside from pottying and ate some mac and cheese!! She has had now maybe one and half to two cups worth of food today!! This is the most she has had in days!! I am so happy. I am going to give her a few hours to process this before I offer her any more

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Aug 05 2011 3:38:50 PM

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  5:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Saying a prayer for Sky dog--and you too, Alee. Animals give us their unconditional love, it's no wonder we love them so much.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Alee
Older dogs get alot of bumps & lumps...usually benign.
Your Sky dog has been a blessing in your family's life, & prayers go out to you that she is around for a long time!
The "Sky's" the limit!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  9:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky is off in Wyoming now. Tomorrow at Noon she will be taken out to the vet and Dr. Steve will take a look. He will know right away if the bumps need biopsied. He is a good vet and I trust him implicitly. I am praying for benign growths but I also have to keep myself prepared for the worst.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  04:45:28 AM  Show Profile
I am with you today Alee and Sky - I know that everthing will be just perfect. I surround you in healing love and light. Please let us know how it turns out. Blessings.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  04:45:41 AM  Show Profile
I am thinking of Sky today. Hope all goes well and she's "up and at 'em" real soon!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  05:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies! I am so nervous!! Last night I when I traded Sky and Nora off to my sister (who is awesome), I couldn't help but watch Sky's face as I got into my car without her. She was looking at me intensly like- What are you doing? Where are you going and why am I not with you?" She didn't take her eyes of me at all except once she looked for a way out of the car and realized she couldn't get to me. My heart broke a bit. It's like hearing your child crying for you and not being able to go to them. I feel just like I did when I had to hold Nora for her infant shots. I know that overall this will be good for Sky, but I can't explain what is happening or why to her and I feel horrible. Originally I was going to be there for her the whole time and even assist with the surgery because I used to work for this vet, but work changed my schedule drastically on me and I no longer have the half days on Tuesday and Thursdays off. :(

Thanks for all your love and care ladies.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  07:08:14 AM  Show Profile
oh alee i sure can feel your concern for her. i bet it goes just great. sending hugs to you and sky. let us know right away how it goes. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good news! The vet doesn't think there is anything to worry about with Sky's bumps. She is entering surgery now. I get to take her home tomorrow :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile
How did the surgery go Alee? Hope all is well with your four legged child!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Alee, how did it go? I'm hoping she is feeling better, but it's going to be a few days time.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Thanks for asking! She made it through surgery really well and I brought her home to my mom's house yesterday late morning. She was pretty dopey all day and slept pretty much constantly. I promised my sister that I would watch her kids this weekend before I knew the surgery was going to happen so I left Sky with my mom last night and will be driving back to Wyoming tomorrow to drop the kids off and pick up Sky. The vet used a more updated procedure- not the TPLO but somewhat similar. So she does have some drilled holes in her bone to heal as well as the incision. But her menisicus disk was not torn and the vet said there was very little arthritis for a dog her age so overall she has every chance for a full recovery. I also am feeding her a food with glucosamine in it and he said to keep doing that. I might buy her some glucosamine supplements too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:06:53 AM  Show Profile
i am so glsd to hear she did so well. i bet you are so happy to know she is on the mend. they are just as loved as our kids are. so happy days for sky and you. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  08:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I am very happy that she is on her way to recovery. I feel horrible that she is so sore but she will be back on her feet in no time and maybe we can get a trail ride in before it gets too cold this winter. Her life will be much better. I can't wait until the day when I see her standing squarely on both hind legs again.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Alee - so glad to hear everything went well with Sky - I will pray for a fast, full recovery! Hope she is "better than new" in no time!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  06:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Alee, is she back home yet? I am so sorry she is having a rough time with the meds. I hope you get the vet to tell you more of what to do for her. Poor girl. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  07:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris- She came "home" to my mom's house on Friday and spent Friday and Saturday with my mom. Yesterday I went and got her from my mom's house so she is finally really home. She is a bit dehydrated and vomitted again this morning. It was outside but I could tell from the color that she is still bleeding. It might be a bleeding ulcer. Last night I had to take a test and I forgot to mention to Doug that he had to give her the antacid so that is my fault. I got her to drink some water and I will try again before I leave for work. I wish I didn't have to work today...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  5:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky made it through the day without throwing up again. She has had two antacid pills today and is not dehydrated anymore. I feel bad that I can't give her any pain medicine right now, but she seems to be coping well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky did fine all night- drank well, ate some and went outside for potty breaks. But this morning I woke up to find a large vomit area. She is pretty calm and just laying around which is good considering the major surgery she just went through and the fact that she can't be on pain meds. I am seriously a wreck. I just want to stay home with her and snuggle with her on her dog bed until she feels better.... Come to think of it- maybe the fact that I have to be at work all day is a good thing for her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Alee, could it have been from the anesthesia? Sometimes that happens. They have a bad reaction to it. I hope she gets over this soon. Poor girl. To have surgery and then this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Glad to read that Sky is home and that the vomitting has stopped. I will still keep her in my prayers and enjoy each moment you can with her.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  9:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky is still throwing up. I got to start the day by cleaning up vomit in my bathroom. Poor dog. I just feel so bad for her! I wish there was more I could do. Right now she is sleeping and she does drink water so that is good. She is peeing frequently (ish) so I know her body hasn't shut down. As soon as I know she is done vomiting I am going to work to try to get her body a bit more balanced. I just feel so bad for her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  9:31:14 PM  Show Profile
oh alee sending hugs and love to you and sky. hope she is better soon. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  9:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, it's so hard when our fur friends are hurting and ill. I truly feel for you and hope that poor Sky's stomach heals so that she isn't so sick all of the time. Has your vet given her rhymadal? My old basset deals with it for pain better than some of the other things, but it's like Tylenol and too much can cause liver damage.

Big hugs to you and to Sky.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  9:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Annika- no, she got a bleeding ulcer so we had to pull her off everything. Right now she is even throwing up just water and dog food. I even bought her the refrigerated dog food to tempt her appetite a little and I was hoping having some food would help settle her stomach. I thought we were in the clear last night until I woke up this morning to the mess. If she keeps throwing up I might have to make her swallow charcoal pills.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well she is still vomiting, but the good news is that it isn't bloody any more which is excellent. I just wish I could get something to stay down. And now she has these weird bumps on her skin where she was shaved. I shaved one spot and the doctor shaved her leg so two different razors. And both have these weird bumps. Like the size of a irritated mosquito bump but lots! Her shoulder where I shaved is only the size of about half a dollar bill but it is covered in these things and her upper thigh of her leg is the same way but no where else. And they didn't show up until yesterday. I shaved Sky on Wednesday evening and the doctor shaved her leg Friday. So I am wondering if something in her system (like the new dog food) is causing the reaction and if so- why only in the shaved areas? Either that or she is allergic to something she is laying on and that is why only the shaved areas are reacting. Poor doog!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sky's ACL Surgery Update #8 ( a good one!) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page