Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:49:36 AM  Show Profile
Well so far this year we have made several (can't remember how many and don't want to go count them!) jars of strawberry jam, 4 quarts of salsa (but one broke so only left us 3), 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce, and I picked up some peaches this morning at the farmers market that I will be making into preserves tonight.

We got blueberries too but I will probably freeze those, not sure what you would do to can blueberries?

Part of me wants to go find more tomatoes but the reason we got the ones we did was because we found a really good price on them. Our tomato plants JUST started budding so maybe we will get some late season ones if they can survive the heat!
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What about blueberry sauce or jam and dehydrating them?

I really do envy your extended growing season in Georgia!! I hope your tomatoes really thrive and give you bushels!! I keep cheering mine on and am hoping to get my first tomato by the end of the month!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  12:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if anyone here will eat it as sauce or jam....maybe. I would have to find somewhere cheaper to get them to get enough for that though! My husband and youngest daughter will eat them like candy though. We tried planting some bushes but they apparently didn't take because they aren't there now :(. I might try some bigger ones next year, of course it takes a while to get berries from them.

I don't know if I would call it an extended growing season, the problem here is that generally by mid June everything gets fried from the sun and heat, so you have to start seeding early. I'm surprised the tomato plants aren't dead but here's hoping they produce something!

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  12:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sabrina. I used to live in Sav. Great place. We also lived at the beach. Loved it there too. My favorite street is Bull St.

I just picked 2 gallons of blue berries yesterday. I did make some peach-blueberry freezer jam the other day with some I had picked a few weeks ago. It is so good. I have also made jam.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  1:52:31 PM  Show Profile
I too lived in Savannah, on Wilmington Island. We loved it there. I canned 11 jars of blueberry jam last week. It was a first for me, (blueberrys we given to me), wasn't sure if my family would like it but they loved it. My daughter and I are planning on going to pick more next week.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  2:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Good for you!! We raise blueberries and I froze all until I could get time to can them. I will be putting up a post on canning blueberries next week. I love to have them for muffins, pancakes, scones and waffles.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  2:13:35 PM  Show Profile
If you make your blueberries (or other fruits) in a sauce (Like a thinner jam), it's great to flavor plain yogurt or to pour over plain cake or ice cream or cheesecake.
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  6:59:00 PM  Show Profile
I have a yogurt maker on the way so I'm really interested in how I can preserve them to flavor yogurt....I think I'm going to need more :), wish I had gotten more strawberries when they were in season but I'll probably just use our jam in the yogurt (my kids are more likely to eat it slightly sweet anyway).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  2:01:30 PM  Show Profile
I have made blueberry butter and blueberry syrup, also something called bumbleberry jam with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. My extremely picky DD even likes it, which says a lot. Found all the recipes in Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Blueberry pie filling!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning accomplishments Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page