Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning Very Old Silk Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  07:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I came upon two old Japan WWII flags along with other silk souvenirs and an old army uniform that belonged to my hubby's father. I would like to display these but the are VERY wrinkled. One flag is in very tatered condition but very cool as it is covered with writing, the other is in better shape but very creased as are the other pieces. I would like suggestions on straightening or flattening them (not sure they would hold up to washing or cleaning) and framing or mounting for display. Right now I have them laying on tables and try to straighten them buy hand but not pulling to hard. Hopeing the fibers will relax from their years of being jamed in a box. Any suggestions would be help full on care or displaying them. I also have magazines, the coolest carved womens shoes, diary, pictures and other war stuff. Please help.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  07:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
best bet is to look for a restorer to do it as if you mess with it to much you may break it and feel real bad. Go to you local museum preferrable a big one they should be able to point you in the right direction. I have framed things that where over 100 years old I left the wrinkles as that is part of what the item is now it has had a life. Just as older people have liver spots and wrinkles. fabrics have stains and wrinkles part of life to me. of course not every one thinks like me but a good restorer should be able to fix your items ask for referrances and before and after photos and contact informnation of past clients if you are real worried.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 25 2006 09:27:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  3:07:03 PM  Show Profile
I agree with sunshine, let the textile professionals deal with it. There's point trying to clean them yourself, especially if you don't want to lose those precious artifacts!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning Very Old Silk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page