LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  10:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I am a new Farmgirl and feel like I am posting like crazy, but I am just so enjoying everyone's online company!

I am having a weird gardening issue and wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I have a fairly large raised bed in our backyard where I successfully grow tons of herbs, tomatoes, peppers and chiles every year. The raised bed is fenced because we have so many deer and rabbits visiting our yard and it keeps them at bay. This year, I was also given a ton of extra tomato and pepper plants as gifts after I had done my own planting, so decided to do some container gardening on our back patio, too. I had to make a large (slightly ungainly) netting "tent" over the containers to also keep the roaming creatures away. Everything was going fine and growing well on the patio, until today when I went out and the tomato plant in one of the middle containers had drooped down to the dirt completely limp. I checked the moisture level of the container, which was just fine, and the netting tent around the containers was completely undisturbed (so I'm fairly sure there was no animal interference). The leaves still look green, have no signs of blight, fungus or insect damage, but it looks...near death. All the other plants are thriving and I have NO idea what happened.

Anyone have any ideas?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Jul 13 2011 10:36:41 PM

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  5:29:14 PM  Show Profile
I had a tomato plant do that once - just keeled right over. I don't know why though - just know that you are not alone:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  6:06:49 PM  Show Profile
something got to the roots it sounds like, pull it up and see if it has any roots left...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic weird tomato plant issue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page