StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  8:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Now that I have chickens, I have evening chores...after they've climbed their little ramp up into their bedroom I go out and bring in the chickie's hanging feeder to fill and get ready for the morning, and check the charge on the electric fence "moat" that surrounds their tractor. I say, "Good night Little Peepers" while I'm putting things away, and I always get a little "peep peep" out of someone because they haven't grown into their cluck voices yet. So, while "tending the flock" I decided to check on my garden at 9:30 p.m. By the light of my trusty headlamp, I filled the irrigation buckets, tied up some vines and squashed a squash bug without breaking a sweat on this day that reached 100+!! If it wasn't for this thing they call "sleep" I could get lots of gardening done on these summer nights very comfortably.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  8:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Paula, I can relate! My sweetie says he is glad there are no lights out at the garden or he would never get me in at night. There is always "just one more thing" I need to do.
It really was a scorcher today. I was drenched in a matter of minutes. Had on a cotton skirt that was clinging to my legs it was so wet. I had to go put on shorts. They made me hotter but at least I could walk! LOL
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Paula~ I am lauging right now thinking of you with your headlamp on - gardening!!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  3:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Oof. I need to start doing this, I went out early to harvest all the peas I could find. I was out there for about an hour and when I was almost finished, my vision started to black out a bit at the corners. Not good! next year I'm gardening earlier and just doing low maintenance stuff like melons in high summer. 110 in a "cool front" is ridonkculous.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  07:06:30 AM  Show Profile
My headlamp is a life saver. It keeps my hands free while feeding horses and chickens in the dark before going to work, walking the dogs, you name it. We have one at almost every door in case we need to run outside at night to take care of something. They also come in handy when the power goes out. My hubby gave me a really nice lightweight LED headlamp for Christmas because I had been using TWO cheapy headlamps at once. It was like I was wearing a set of car headlights on my head. Talk about funny looking!!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  07:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Head lamps are wonderful tools aren't they? We use them hiking to get in that last mile or so when it is dark. If there are two of you out there it takes a little getting used to to not look at each other when you are talking. Close up they are blinding!
I never thought to leave them by the doors. I'll be hanging a hook by each door just for them. Thanks Paula!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

momof4grlz
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Michelle
Hesperia MI
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I totally do my gardening in the evening. After I put the kids to bed and the barn to bed, I work on the garden to wind down. I stay out there until close to 11 pm and work by the yard light until I become a meat fest for the mosquitoes!

A city chick learning to scratch in the country dirt
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening in the dark Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page