Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The Price and Availability of Canning Jars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Price and Availability of Canning Jars Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh my word! I was out today looking for quart sized Ball canning jars... I found them at three different stores, for, on the average, $18 per case of 12! I couldn't believe it - $18?!?!?!?!?!? That's insane! I finally broke down and went to Wal-Mart. They had only one opened case of Ball jars with a few missing and a whole bunch of no-name brand. The ball jars were $10, the ones from China were $7. I only use Ball jars because they're American made AND I trust their quality (didn't see any Mason jars anywhere in my search, or I would've considered them). The no-name brand from China weren't very clear - almost in a darker, gray-colored shade of glass, which, of course, made me all the more concerned about their quality. They just didn't look right, and I really couldn't bring myself to buy them. Plus, I really try to buy American whenever it's an option, you know? I decided to head out to another Wal-Mart. They had only Ball jars on the shelf in a little section of one aisle - $10 for wide-mouthed jars, $7 for regular-mouthed jars, and the Chinese brand was in another section, right in the middle of the store for $7 (regular-mouthed). I bought the whole lot of Ball jars.

I cannot get over the fact that the other three stores sold these same Ball jars for $18 a case. And I'm also shocked that Wal-mart is replacing the Ball brand on their shelves with mediocrity from China. And I'm incredulous that they would feature the Chinese brand over the tried-and-true American favorite: Ball. It's cheaper, true, but geez! Ball is an American institution! I can't help wonder: is it really that Ball jars have become so much more expensive over the past year, or is it that the stores are taking advantage of consumers? Online, the Ball store sells them for $11.99 for a case of 12... Last year they were $8 a case. I understand why there's a price increase, but shame on those chain stores that are charging $18 per case! So much for appreciating your customers. It boggles the mind!

Okay. I'm sorry. Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 11 2011 5:31:36 PM

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I feel your frustration. We all need to rant every now and then, especially with the price of everything going up. I sure do my share. $18, did I understand right? Is that for regular pint jars? Oh my!

I needed wide mouth quart jars and went looking, everywhere I called they were around $14, then I remembered a friend that works at a hardware store, they no longer carry canning equipment but she could order the jars I wanted at $10 a case, the problem was I had to purchase 6 cases, that was their minimum order. I knew I would use the jars, if not now, later. I had them the next day. They were Ball jars. I know where I will be buying my jars from now on.

My mother bought a case of the Better Homes and Garden jars at walmart because she thought they were pretty and she gave them to me. I used them for jelly and I don't like them. The seals didn't seal so I had to re-process some of the jars and they don't stack well either. I don't think they are a good deal, especially if all the seals are not gonna seal and they are NOT "Made in America". These are the only jars that haven't sealed this year. I would also rather pay a little more for something made her as opposed to China.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:57:54 PM  Show Profile
You know what I think is worse is that Goodwill and some of the other thrift stores around here try and sell them for 2 dollars a piece. A piece?! That's just batty. Why would I pay more for ones that I don't know how old they are and if there are chips or cracks?

Our Walmart sells about 4 different brands, a cheap generic Walmart kind, the BHG ones, Ball, and Kerr. Ball and Kerr are more expensive, but I am willing to shell out the extra buck or two. They are even cheaper at one of the grocery stores though, luckily. And when the commissary has them (they only have them VERY seasonally) they are a great deal. I never seem to buy enough though!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  7:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow. ladies you make me feel how unappreciative I was last weekend when one of our local thrifts just raised the price of "real" jars from 10 cents to 25. I am going to go and give all those girls a big hug. The only ones here that cost 1.00 are the old blue ones. and I think I have snagged all of those that I can.
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  8:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Nini, I just had the very same experience!! I am canning sweet zucchini relish with NanE, and I ran out of lids. I went to town, and glanced at the jars while I wad there, I had to stop in my tracks!! Only one case, open and picked through, of Ball jars!! Most of the jars were there, but only one lid remained. I grabbed the very last pack of regular jar lids. They had single packs of wide mouth jar lids, and one 12pack of regular size lids. I was disgusted, and since I needed them ASAP, I had to get them, no matter the price. I will be ordering them from now on:(

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  8:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Check out the Tattler lids. They are reuseable & were tested by Jackie Clay (canning guru) & she gave them the OK!
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/
USA made, FDA approved!
They are more expensive, but can be used over & over!
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  04:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini -

Do you have a Tractor Supply nearby? The last I looked they were only about $8 - $9 a case.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  04:47:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm like Inge..... I get the Ball or Kerr jars at the thrift shops or yard sales for less than a dollar. I buy them all winter and store them in my barn.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  05:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Just to give you a heads up for the Fall, not sure if your's does this or not, but all of our Lowes sells out all of their canning supplies on clearance in the Fall. Last year, I got probably 30 boxes of lids for 50 cents each and 30 boxes of lids and rings for 80 cents each. They only had one box of jars left when I discovered their clearance nook, but I got a beautiful anniversary Ball waterbath canner complete with canning utensil set and everything for $20. It is my backup. Plus, they had all of their Ball Bluebooks for $2 so I bought a bunch to give at canning demos. Keep your eyes open at your Lowes and pounce! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  05:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Around here you used to be able to find canning jars at yard sales but since they became the in thing in decorating and everyone has went back to canning you can forget it. Lucky for me I have been canning since I got married (25 years) so I am well blessed with jars. I may have to buy a dozen jelly jars this year but that should be it. I was at Kmart here the other day and they had Ball canning jars. I believe they were $11 there. But I am like Luanne, I have seen them at tractor supply also. Oh and also you might want to check Ace Hardware or any other small hometown hardware stores. I know ours sells them, not sure of the price though.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  05:38:59 AM  Show Profile
When canning jars get that expensive it's MORE EXPENSIVE to can your own stuff! That's insane!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Filesfarmgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kay
Itasca Tx
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Okie Farm Girl, thanks for the heads up...I will be watching the Lowes nearby. And while I don't really need anymore canning jars right now, I believe that one can never really have enough in reserve ;)

Porch swing, cup of tea, and the setting sun after a hard day's work....a little bit of Heaven!!
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  06:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Kay, the lids will get you too. If you think about how many lids you have to buy, getting them for 1/3 of the price is awesome. It was like having my own grocery store shelf here this year!! No running to the store when I realize I need lids. My friend has purchased some of the reusable lids and loves them. They are quite expensive in my book, but she says that they are worth it because she isn't buying lids anymore. I may give a few a try and see what they are like.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  06:18:40 AM  Show Profile
I have used both lids and the reuseable one I use for those items that will not be stored long. Estate Sales are a great way to really get them cheap.. I purchased years ago about sevety jars and a huge box full of lids still in their original boxes... SCORE! However, over the years I have used them down so I better get looking again.

I love that canning is in but that is no reason to raise the prices thru the roof but that is how folks think of things now a days.. Same with farmers markets right now - thru the roof.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2317 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2317 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  06:52:09 AM  Show Profile
I just picked up 2 cases of ball jelly jars for 5.59 each at Menards. I believe the qts. were 7.99. I refuse to pay more than $9.00 for a case of jars. Years ago at our county fair Ball and Kerr sponsered the canning section and always gave coupons for cases of jars to the top winners, I have gotten many cases from those entries. I always check TSC in the fall to, they put all thier canning supplies on clearance and you can get some great deals. Inge, which thrift store do you go to, I have to be in Fargo at the end of the month.

Julie

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  07:22:32 AM  Show Profile
I use the pint and half-pint jars (easier to handle in my small kitchen!) Last week I purchased another case of the half pint jars and found that they were cheaper at my local Krogers than they were at Walmart (about a dollar's difference---but hey, it all counts up!) I believe they were $8.75 for the case.

I will definitely keep my eye on the local Lowe's to see if they go on sale there. I will also keep a watch on Krogers---given their placement in the store, I wouldn't be surprised if they were marked down more toward the end of the summar as well.

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  11:32:09 PM  Show Profile
I get mine at the dollar general and family dollar stores. They usually run about $7 or $8 bucks a case around here. I will be watchin the lowes and menards and such for clearance sales. Thanks for the info!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  4:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh crazy!!

I thought it was too good to be true when WM started to add their house brand of canning jars!!

Shoot!

Luckily I have plenty of Ball and Garden Harvest jars stocked. My mom and her friends are good about saving jars from the Habitat store.

Keep trying w/ thrift stores and yard sales. I had to do a triple take when I saw what the quart sizes are going for!!

I ought to save and send to you...working at the zoo means bears and other critters go through jars of honey. The other keepers save those jars for me, and I already have 4 bags full!

Around here they seem to multiply like coat hangers in a dark closet, so let me know!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile
What a blessing....went to the thrift store and picked up 2 1/2 dozen quarts for $.25 each! Yah!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  6:22:24 PM  Show Profile
I bought Ball jars today and didn't notice a price increase.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  7:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I looked at jars today . City Market,part of Krogers had the ball jars,all sizes for around 9.00
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  06:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
So Sorry if I offend anyone..BUT..Walmart has been the ruination of small town rural America...they bull in run all the mom n pop places out with their lower prices and not american made.. then they have ya where they want ya...ya have no choice..it has been the dumbing down of America as we all knew and loved...if we arent careful ...China will own us...just had to vent...I miss our downtowns n country folks...saturday go to town as a family type thing...and yes canning jars are just the tip of the big ole iceberg...Cherish America USA!!Blessings Girls

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  07:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I am not sure what part of PA your from, but if you are on the western side like me and want to make a nice drive to New Hope, Ohio I found bulk ball new canning jars for .55 each or $6.60 a case for quarts and .45 each or 5.40 a dozen for pints but you need to get 8 cases to get that price. If you get less the price goes up a little. Lids are $42 for 345 lids. Still the cheapest I have found. I dont need jars now, but I am really thinking of stocking up for the future since I know prices are going up like crazy. I just found out my grain mill I bought in the fall went up $200! Thank goodness I bought it when I did.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jane. I live east of Pittsburgh - and am not too sure where New Hope is. I'm not afraid of driving to Ohio, though - I LOVE Ohio! I think I'm in good shape for the time being, but I really do appreciate the information. I was at the grocery the other day, one of the places where I saw them for $18 a case, and there wasn't a jar to be found. I hadn't seen a sale in their flyer, so I don't know what to make of this, except a lot of people are canning this year!!! I'm just really glad I found and purchased what I did. I'll be checking for them at local yard sales, too, and stocking up when possible. What a thing!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and Shirley - no offense taken whatsoever! I hate shopping at Wal-mart, and for us, it's usually an absolute last resort if we can't find what we NEED. I have a lot of friends, though who shop there regularly, citing that if it weren't for Wal-mart, they wouldn't be able to feed and clothe their families. I am so thankful that one really good friend finally saw the light after taking a college economics class. She and I used to debate over Wal-mart regularly, but when her professor showed what is truly happening with Wal-Mart, she changed her tune completely. I think sometimes people think we make this stuff up. I'm just really glad her professor had the proof to back up the arguments. Now she's starting down a better path. It doesn't happen overnight, but with baby steps, we eventually will get there! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile
Nini, if your that close, Trader horn has them on sale until wednesday for $7.99 quarts and $6.99 pints. Most Trader Horn's are north of the city, route 8, butler, 422, and North hills off Mcknight road, but much closer than Ohio. They have the best deal in the PGH area.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Price and Availability of Canning Jars Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page