Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  9:05:26 PM  Show Profile
I posted a picture at the blog of the unwanted guest we had tonight. Oh my gosh. Do I live in Arizona???? 110 degree heat and then this?? It was trying to get into our front door. Pigmy rattlers are especially dangerous because you can't hear them. They only have a tiny button rattle.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Snakes are one thing that gives me the uggies. I know they are valuable in the ecosystem, but they certainly belong on my top list of critters I don't enjoy coming "face to face" with, much less a poisonous one!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  07:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Yikes! And here I'm afraid of the little gardener snakes here in IL! Thank goodness you didn't step on it. I'd wear work boots all the time if I had any of those snakes around my area.

I hope you never see another one again in your yard!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Eeeeeyiiiiiikes!!! That is one HUGE, scarey snake! I would've fainted dead away! I'm so glad you're okay, Mary Beth! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:01:05 AM  Show Profile
Keep your eyes open Mary Beth. Where there is one of those there is usually another. Just sayin.
Glad you are OK.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Yep, where there's one, there's usually more!! I am never going out in flip flops again. This one was bigger than the one we found last year and I have a funny feeling it's got cousins.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:46:40 AM  Show Profile
LOL Yep! Our big rat snake in the garden has a nephew. He is about a third the size of his uncle.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  12:42:56 PM  Show Profile
EW EW EW EW!!! creepy, legless belly wriggling, soulless blighters!! Last summer I found one drowned on the second step of the our swimming pool, rigor-ed in a curled up, mouth open striking position. SCARY!!!! When I was a teen I never went hiking or horseback riding in the bush without a .22 or a high powered pellet rifle. Snakes and I are not compatible. I would be willing to get a pet rhinoceros if it 100% guaranteed I would never have a snake on my property. (I'm pretty sure that rhinos have no connection to snakes... but I think you all can get my hyperbole.)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  7:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Eek! I would've been slinging a shovel and everything I could throw at it. I am like Jen and not compatible with snakes. We've never seen one out here and I think it's probably because of having so many cats around (I only have one but all the neighbors combined probably makes around 20). We do tend to find scorpions a lot.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  8:02:58 PM  Show Profile
I think that the reason we have all of a sudden started having poisonous snakes is because I think our neighbors must be killing the good snakes. We had a monstrous king snake that loved to hang out in our well house and our peach trees and we had a couple of big hog nosed snakes too. They have disappeared. They always kept the other snakes away.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  8:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Exactly why I let the snakes live in the garden. We are known for copperheads on this hill ( I really mean that) but haven't seen one so far all year. Knock on wood. I can't wait to get all the construction stuff away from the house. That makes me nervous cause they like to live in piles of boards and bricks and burn piles. I don't want to leave the light on for them. ; )
Connie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bleahh!! Sneaky Snake Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page