nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  6:03:35 PM  Show Profile
We're moving in 2 months to our property in rural KY and dh is worried about keeping the many deer and bunnies that inhabit our acreage away from our future gardens. I'd welcome suggestions on how to live with the voracious eaters and still have enough food for ourselves. We will be building raised beds which may discourage the smaller rabbits but will put the veggies at "dinner table height" for the deer.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  7:33:51 PM  Show Profile
predator urine in a spray bottle, I recommend fox and coyote, can buy at most sporting goods stores, also invisable fences work well for deer that will reach over and nibble, black nylon netting, meant to be used for fruit trees to keep the birds off, it will last for years in all weather types, they can not see it in the eves and early morns when they usually are eating and it scares them...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:33:30 AM  Show Profile
I also read somewhere that recommended video tape strips flapping in the breeze...don't know if it works but I'm open to all suggestions. DH, a retired engineer, will "run the experiments" and find what works best for our critters.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Honestly? The best way to deter the deer is to build a 10 foot fence all the way around your garden. I will be doing this with my garden when we have it- it can be expensive to do at first but much less expensive than losing your garden and such.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is a great forum about deer fences... It looks like you could build a smaller fence and then to a "false fence" of a wire a bit higher up.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/homest/msg020140202385.html?24

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:47:11 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a plan to me.

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Ha! Alee I was on the web trying to find the same link to send! I've read papers from several of the large University Ag depts. that support this type of fence. When we get the Apple trees etc planted this is what we plan to do.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:01:57 AM  Show Profile
Alee, thanks for the link. I'll pass it on to dh.
Connie, we're planning on putting in an orchard next year. We currently have 2 apple trees on our property that will finally produce a decent couple of apple pies this Fall but alas, we'll be moved by then. We haven't any deer problem in our sub-division but there are bunnies who ate all the young branches from our red buds that we planted last Fall.

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  5:57:08 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the 10 ft fence idea. I have a friend who did it and they say they look out every morning and see all the deer just staring at the garden drooling! lol They've made it look so wonderful. Like going into a fantastical fairy garden with arch and round door. Very cute.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I'd love to see pictures of such a fairy garden.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions and info. I'll keep you posted on what we try and how they work.

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Two things I would suggest, first, make a VHS Tape fence. I saw it once in a Mother Earth News or something. They took the regular poles that you can buy at Lowes like this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_92064-16418-090005_0__?productId=3160789&Ntt=fence+post&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dfence%2Bpost&facetInfo= and instead of electric fencing they used VHS Video Tape. The shinyness kept the deer away and if they wanted to get closer the roughness on their fur made them think twice. Plus it is easy and cheap to replace. Here is the article http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/garden-deer-fence-zm0z11zhun.aspx

Another thing we would do in Pittsburgh was to hang Irish Spring soap, the deer and bunnies do not like the smell of it.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  2:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I saw that article, too and have some tapes put aside to use when we get garden. Thanks for the links because I didn't know for sure how to find it. We also read that if we stuff stockings with cat or dog fur and hang them up, it deters the rabbits. Keith (dh) says that there has been a dog on the property for years and there are deer and rabbits all over the place so he doubts that suggestion will work.

Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Marigold
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Marigold
Chicago IL
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  6:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Get a working dog. He can still be a loveable pet, but at night give him a dog house near where your garden is. That or build a really tall fence!
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  04:45:33 AM  Show Profile
We'll be getting a dog and building a fence, too. With everybody's suggestions, we may have a great garden next year. Thanks to everyone!

Nancy

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Deer and bunnies, oh my! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page