SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile
I live in North Tx and had blight hit my tomatoes. I removed the plants, but lots of the leaves fell on the soil. My question is will the leaves cause another problem and how do I correct the problem. I really do not want to remove the soil. It is in a raised bed in the back yard. I live in a neighborhood. Please help this wanabe veg. gardener.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  5:04:52 PM  Show Profile
try putting down black plastic over the soil, and let it cook until next spring, then till ALOT of new soil and compost in...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile
In my experience the only thing that will help is moving your tomatoes to a different area for at least two years. Get up All the sick leaves that you can. Do not compost them. Bag them and put them in the trash. Black plastic won't help with fungus and some bacterial diseases. It will kill all the weeds. The next time you plant tomatoes in this area be sure to mulch so the soil does not splash on the leaves when it rains.
We have it this year too. I'm already getting the soil ready for where they will go next year. We have never planted there before so we have lot's of amending to do.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  8:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for y'alls help.
Go to Top of Page