Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 too much zucchini, not enough grandma time!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic too much zucchini, not enough grandma time! Next Topic  

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have 4 zucchini plants. Only 4. I have shared, sold, fried, steamed, broiled....can't keep up. I'm getting over a dozen zucchini a day. My plants must be doing steroids while I sleep. Lol
Today, I'm going to my grandma's house, back on the farm. Since the move I haven't seen nearly enough of her. We are going to make sweet zucchini relish, and be canning all day. I can't wait. I can rid my fridge of way too much zucchini, and spend time with an amazing woman. I'm a fourth generation farmgirl, thanks to her mama, and she taught me how to sew, crochet, and can. My mama never really gardened, or canned. But her mama, my other grandma, did, and I got all my baking and gardening skills from her.
My paternal grandma, NanE, is the one who lives on our farm. We are going to chop, laugh, can, and heat up that old farm kitchen with the best of 'em today! I'm so excited. And so truely blessed to have both my grandmas still here, in their 80's helping me carry on such wonderful skills, they had to have to survive as kids. I'm so happy to absorb it all, and be able to pass it on to my kids. Gonna take tons of pictures!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:49:26 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like the most perfect day!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile
You are blessed! Enjoy your day. Give Grandma a farmgirl hug from me!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  09:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies. I can't tell you how thrilled I am. I feel like a kid getting ready for a family vacation! Things are always non-stop here, and I don't get over to the farm nearly as much as I'd like. NanE is gonna get tons of farmgirl hugs!!!

Thanks for letting me share this excitement with you!! &hearts

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  09:41:43 AM  Show Profile
I pray my granddaughters look forward to coming to see me like you do your NanE.... :)

Edited by - DebbieSue on Jul 08 2011 09:42:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Amen Debbie!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:29:34 AM  Show Profile
what a wonderful day to plan! I asked my mom about helping me to learn how to can and she told me it was too hot to think about it...sigh. I can just picture your day though! wishing I was there!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:43:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm so jealous.... my paternal grandmother might have known enough to teach me farm skills but she passed when I was a little tyke, and I can think of all kinds of colorful and creative ways to insult the memory of my maternal grandmother.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  1:38:00 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like a great visit!

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  1:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Looking thru old threads about pickles and zuchinni and I love this one. I so wish my mom or grandma was still alive to do the same thing. Hope you have enjoyed the summer growing and canning with your gram.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  2:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  3:23:57 PM  Show Profile
When I have extra I take & shred it & freeze it in 2 cup batches for making zucchini bread later! It is great to pull out in the winter & make up a fresh loaf!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  09:46:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Karla and the shredding. It's also good mixed with potatoes for breakfast. It is a wonder plant and its nice you have someone to work it up with you. I just made up a zesty zucchini relish.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  3:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I promised pics of the zucchini relish making trip to my grandmas. I finally got the post up on my cooking blog. It was a wonderful experience. Feel free to browse!!

http://friedokiessuburbankitchen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  03:57:33 AM  Show Profile
Long about August I got off the dime and froze most of what was left of the zucchini. Just diced it and put it into spaghetti sauce or plain tomato juice for cooking.

Did anybody else have a rough time with those vine boring bugs??

Pumpkins didn't do well at all! But the cukes did ok. Biggest pumpkin at the fair this year was a paultry 500 or so pounds.

Warm zucchini bread would sure hit the spot right about now! I was a little hesitant to shred and just freeze on its own for fear of ice crystals making it mush down
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Anna, I froze a bunch, I made 24 loaves of zucchini bread, and made a few batches of a squash soup. I have two loaves of zucchini bread left in the freezer, and no soup left.
I don't care for the texture of frozen zucchini, but it works great for breads and sauces after you thaw it.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  04:01:12 AM  Show Profile
To add some whimsy to the garden, we bought cueball zucchini. So it grew round and small like cue ball size. It all did very well. We did 3 staggred plantings.

I did save enough seed (Johnny's Select I think) that we'll have enough for next summer) so maybe I'ff eat some and TRY to remeber to put some back to freeze for breads and sauces again
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic too much zucchini, not enough grandma time! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page