Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Internet shop sites or ebay?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Internet shop sites or ebay? Next Topic  

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  07:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I know many of you have an Etsy shop. However, etsy is primarily home made items. I like making items, I just don't think my quality is high enough to sell the items. My forte is junking. I have an large collection of items, that I am interested in selling. I have thought about using Ebay, or building a website or just selling through a blog. Are there any good sites like etsy, that are not restricted to hand crafted items. Ebay seems to me like it may be the best way for me to go currently. The traffic, and low start up. However, it makes me a little nervous. I have never bought off of ebay or any other online Auction, and am afraid of making a mistake. I am a little embarassed to say paypal and all that are very foreign to me. A blog seems like the easiest to get going, but traffic through a blog is not that great. My own website seems way over my head.

Does anyone have any pointers on this subject?

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth~
I have just started using ebay too! I was really nervous and clueless, but it was really easy! I just created an ebay account, then clicked on the paypal link and did that too!
If I can do it, believe me, you can too! I am not computer savvy at all! But if I have a big problem, my 11 year old daughter can usually help me out!!
I say go for the ebay, their reach is world-wide..start up is almost nothing!
Good luck
love,
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  09:25:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Kate..I have sold on Ebay..mostly some collectibles when I first moved here and was simplifying a little...and if I can do it anyone can certainly do it. It is a quick and easy..and fun way to go. I love Etsy for handmades, but if I were selling stuff from junking I would go ebay for sure! Have fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  09:33:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sillyfoulks

I know many of you have an Etsy shop. However, etsy is primarily home made items. I like making items, I just don't think my quality is high enough to sell the items. My forte is junking. I have an large collection of items, that I am interested in selling. I have thought about using Ebay, or building a website or just selling through a blog. Are there any good sites like etsy, that are not restricted to hand crafted items. Ebay seems to me like it may be the best way for me to go currently. The traffic, and low start up. However, it makes me a little nervous. I have never bought off of ebay or any other online Auction, and am afraid of making a mistake. I am a little embarassed to say paypal and all that are very foreign to me. A blog seems like the easiest to get going, but traffic through a blog is not that great. My own website seems way over my head.

Does anyone have any pointers on this subject?

Elizabeth

Greetings, Elizabeth! Another junker, oh how my heart beats faster! I have seen the best stuff "tossed to the curb" as the saying goes, in my city neighborhood in Norfolk, VA every Wednesday for the next morning's pickup. I began to pull the car over and go through piles that seemed like buried treasure might be unearthed and boy did I hit the jackpot sometimes, definitely worth cruising the neighborhood on a regular basis! I got my talented sister, who could probably build a house with nothing but chewing gum and string she is so handy, involved and we started cruising mine and the surrounding neighborhoods. What a rush! The good feeling that you are rescuing something useful from the trash compactor, and no price tag attached! When I was in Norfolk in May I saw the premier issue of a new magazine called Junk Style (or something like that) at Barnes and Noble. It is by those two women who have a regular column in Country Living Magazine (or Country Home, I forget), and maybe you could get some good ideas from that publication. Anyway, good luck with ebay!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  05:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I have my Ebay and paypal accounts ready. I am hoping that with in a day or 2 I will have my first items listed. I am just not sure about shipping charges. I will have to do some figuring to find out the best way to handle this. I will have to post to the forum here, when I get my first listing up. Wish me luck!!

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth,

I love eBay! I've been wanting to sell on eBay and have even started a collection of items I've found as I've been to garage sales that I think I could sell. So far as I've looked for items, I've found them with a smile. I've even thought of an item I can make to sell to a particular market and do well at it. I've talked to a sister-in-law who sells, and her advice was to buy some items, at least ten to get the positive ratings so individuals wouldn't be scared about purchasing an item from an individual. She even said I should only buy from someone with a ten or more rating. I've read the eBay tutorials and they are a great resource. I love my paypal account, wish I could buy online using it all of the time.

I have used eBay to save gas money on shopping. I've purchased two Madame Alexander dolls circa 70's and antique teapots for my MIL, the two things she collects. Purchased candle holders, cookbooks, candles, my Oneida Stainless that has disappeared over the years as it is discontinued. Right now I need to go back and purchase a second bug zapper from an individual who sells regularly, his bug zappers are the best. We just had one quit on us, that was no where near the quality. I don't particularly like to buy from those who look like they are drop shippers. I've purchased from individuals, and then realized they were drop shipping. I love the "ME" pages to read why an individual is on eBay. I especially like to buy from stay at home moms. I urge you to make a "ME" page.

As for your shipping costs. Most people don't mind paying reasonable shipping costs. I'm included in that, but when I start to sell, I'm going to include the shipping items (boxes, bubble wrap, etc.) in the costs. I've even searched for those items on eBay and found them cheaper there then purchasing through an office supply store.

Kim

I wish you the best in your eBay endeavor.

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  10:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth -- I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1997 and have had only a few problems. It is very easy and you'll be a pro at it in no time! If you are going to be selling a lot of stuff then I would recommend that you by a postage scale so you can weigh your items. Before I got mine there were many times that I did not charge enough for shipping and it came out of my profit. I never charge a handling fee on my shipping, may add $1 to cover bubble wrap, etc -- high shipping costs are one of my pet peeves. Some sellers jack up the shipping to cover their eBay fees or to make more money if they think the item isn't going to sell for what they want which is totally wrong. I will not buy from anyone that charges overly inflated shipping. If you send items by priority mail you can get the boxes free from the post office. Go online to USPS.com and order the boxes. The post office will deliver them right to your door. Every package that you receive save the bubble wrap, peanuts, etc and reuse them to package your items. Not only are you saving money but the packaging is being recycled.

One word of caution -- there are dishonest people out that that like to send "phising" emails. These emails look like they are from eBay or PayPal and want you to click a link in the email to update your personal information. Then you put in personal info and the scammers have the info they need for ID theft. eBay and PayPal will NEVER send an email with a link in it for you to click. They will always give you instructions to log into your account through the website to resolve a problem.

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 27 2006 11:02:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
quote:
One word of caution -- there are dishonest people out that that like to send "phising" emails. These emails look like they are from eBay or PayPal and want you to click a link in the email to update your personal information. Then you put in personal info and the scammers have the info they need for ID theft. eBay and PayPal will NEVER send an email with a link in it for you to click. They will always give you instructions to log into your account through the website to resolve a problem.

Kay is so right on this! The first one I got for my Paypal account I was so disturbed by it I was able to inform Paypal. They want to know to go after these internet scammers legally. So everyone needs to report them.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  1:34:37 PM  Show Profile
If you get a letter like this send it to spoof@ebay.com or spoof @paypal.com depending on which site they come from.

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 27 2006 6:26:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  2:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Kay has given you great advice -- I've sold on Ebay for 10 years, and the way ebay is now set up, it's easier than ever to list your goods. I almost always send Priority Mail, using the free boxes and those envelopes from the post office -- and I also use their free package tape! And I use a postage scale and figure out what the cost will be using the www.usps.com site. I don't add any cost for handling; if I need bubblewrap, I usually recycle or occasionally buy some. And I use lots of newspaper in packing -- again, recycled.

I love ebay! Have made great profits over the years -- my best one ever was $2,500 for a pre-publication copy of To Kill A Mockingbird that we'd received free in a box of books a few years ago. That's a once-in-a-lifetime score, I think.

Other ways to sell your finds are through consignment shops (our historical society runs one) or by renting a space at a flea market. Not everyone has those outlets, however, and for you, Ebay may be just the ticket.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  6:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies -- I want ebay user names so I can add you all to my favorites!

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  05:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I was thinking about the scale, and packing material a lot. I know the man who runs the local post office, and thought that I would actually have him weigh my first items before I list them. As well as have them virtually packed and ready to go. Now I just need to decide which items to list first.

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  05:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth -- Ebay has it set up so that a bidder can enter their zip code and see what the postage would be -- but that means you will need to provide method of ship (Priority Mail, etc.) and weight when you list. I do weigh the item in a box and put a bunch of packing material on top -- not quite packed to go, but it does give me a good idea of weight. And then I round up on the weight. Knowing what their shipping would be really helps the bidder. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Internet shop sites or ebay? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page