Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  09:20:17 AM  Show Profile

I ordered a dozen Khaki Campbell pullets from Ideal Poultry, 5 survived I'm so happy to get them! I've always wanted ducks. Now to keep these ladies kickin. Just wish I could have gotten them locally, but either no one has campbells, or they're not willing to part with them.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  1:15:07 PM  Show Profile
that happens, you just never know and when they are little they like to play with the water, so becareful that they don't drown..... that happened to some of ours.... khaki campbells are great and don't make a huge mess like pekings.... great choice and good luck!

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  2:18:37 PM  Show Profile
I joyfully miscounted, there are 6 rather than 5. They're all eating and drinking well, and I go back there every once in a while to nudge them around.
I'm giving them water in a really shallow saucer and they cant even get their nostrils under the water level. They're so funny! They wake up, hop around and then sit in the water. I'd worry about them getting chilled if it wasn't 117 out today.

Ideal is supposed to be good about replacing losses, so I should eventually end up with a few more toward the dozen I purchased. I just hope a 50% death rate isn't typical :( I dont want to feel like I'm killing animals by ordering them.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile
ducklings/ducks need to be able to get their nostrils under water to clear out debree, otherwise they will suffucate , all ducks need to be able to do that...remember too much heat will kill them also, your death rate is high at 50%, I would call the hatchery asap, in case there is a time limit...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  3:20:35 PM  Show Profile
I thought it looked like there were 6 little ducks in there. And yep, 50% is really high. I have never lost a chick that I got from the feed store. I have never ordered any to be delivered to me so can't really say about that. I'm sure they have lost some. I am thinking about ordering meat chicks soon so I will see how that works out. Enjoy those cute ducks!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  6:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Very cute...hard to believe my ducks were that small 6 weeks ago!! They are huge now. Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile
hatchery is closed for the weekend, I left a voice mail right when I got home, AND sent an email immediately after that, so I should be covered in that respect. We just got our summer heat wave and I think the ones I lost dehydrated to death in transit-- it was 117 today. I'm going to ask for a refund if I can get it, rather than a re-ship,(if odds are that bad, I'm not willing to risk other little lives if I can at all help it) and I'll try from a more expensive place that is a shorter trip.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile
I glanced at the Ideal website and they list khakis as out of stock until next year, so unless they have extras in reserve for replacements, they will probably try to substitute with crested khakis, but hopefully they will just send a refund for the lost portion of my order and I'll finish my flock from elsewhere.
Does anyone have a favorite hatchery in the west? I'm thinking about ordering some layers from Metzer Farms.

http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  2:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Jen, i have always used Murray McMurray, and have never had a problem...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  12:59:19 PM  Show Profile
I use McMurray too. Every time.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  1:27:47 PM  Show Profile
A rep called me and I told her how many I lost and that the site said they couldn't fill any more orders, so she said she'd get the refund out. Just waiting for it to hit my account now.

I'm looking at http://www.metzerfarms.com/Golden300HybridLayerDucks.cfm?Breed=Golden%20300%20Hybrid%20Layer&BirdType=Duck&ID=GOLDE&CustID=366361 and http://www.metzerfarms.com/WhiteLayerDucks.cfm?Breed=White%20Layer&BirdType=Duck&ID=WHGOL&CustID=366361, but I'm also thinking of welsh harlequins for some variety (they're a color variation of khaki campbell breeding)
This farm is a lot closer to me so transit should be shorter? The white and goldens I can order a male for every female for free as well. I'm sure those drakes would be just as valuable to my neighbors as they would be to my freezer.

From a business perspective I don't think Ideal Poultry is bad, I may order from them again, but they don't have the best waterfowl selections, and I'll order earlier in the year if I use them again so my only concern is cold. I think the ones we lost dehydrated in the summer heat.

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jul 05 2011 1:37:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  1:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, not to jump in here...but they are sooooo cute!! Love that picture. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  1:42:16 PM  Show Profile
oo! you reminded me Nicole, New picture time.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  08:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Today I got.... Moar duckies!

I ordered from Metzer farms for this batch and got 5 golden hybrid layers, 5 white hybrid layers and 3 welsh harlequins. 100% of the bevy survived the trip from central california and I popped for the gro-gel so they wouldn't get dehydrated.

My khaki "duck ducks" (its hard to tell them apart so the whole group is just "the duck duck sisters") are one month old and doing great. I moved them to a mobile outdoor pen and they get to forage for bugs and eat my aging watermelon and zucchini all day long The picky little buggers are so stuffed on flies and ants they wouldn't touch the meal I gave them this morning.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  07:19:49 AM  Show Profile
so very cute. they are the one bird i have not tried to grow yet. looks like you are doing a great job. happy days on your farm. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:33:58 AM  Show Profile
I love them, I don't think I will ever get chickens. Duck eggs are my niche I think. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  5:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh they are sweet! I'm just looking for some Ancona ducklings myself. :)
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile
duck eggs make the best cakes, especialy angel food, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  8:49:34 PM  Show Profile
There are just so many ways duck eggs have an edge over chicken eggs. The only real contest is the taste, some people will just always prefer chicken eggs because thats what they're used to.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  6:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, I lost one of my white layer chicks today-- She just wasn't putting on weight with the food and got weaker and weaker. Tried to feed her some sugar water and corn oil (my trick when my ferret got sick to force some calories into her) on a Q-tip but all for naught. At least I gave it my best. Seems like a simple case of failure to thrive. Even the next smallest duck was almost twice as big as she was.

Hate losing any critter in my care. :( And I was so full of hope 'cause they were doing so good when they shipped. At least it wasn't one of the harlequins, I wanted those really badly.

Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  06:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Ducklings are so much fun. I just got into them. I had a couple of khaki campbells that were mixed with cayuga but they didn't survive long. An excited 3 year old and week old ducklings are not a good mix. Poor little ducks. Now I have four muscovy x blue swedish girls that are much older. They are about a month old and move much faster. Mine like to shower in my sprinkler. Funny girls will stand with their chests puffed up and let the stream hit them for awhile then move out to preen.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  5:31:26 PM  Show Profile
One of my harlequins is a bit runty, but otherwise healthy so I let my 8 year old pull a charlotte's web and baby it for a personal pet. I'm sick of watching the bigger babies step on her all the time. :(

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Duckies! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page