Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Cheap, healthier dishwasher "soap"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cheap, healthier dishwasher "soap" Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
We've just started using a mixture of equal parts baking soda and borax instead of store-bought powdered dishwasher detergent. It cleans spectacularly better than the store-bought stuff, and doesn't leave that nasty residue of who-knows-what. We didn't even bother with white vinegar, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add that, too.

You use the same amount of the baking soda/borax mix as you would the store-bought. What a great savings, and so nice to know it's safer.

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:21:07 AM  Show Profile
Good for you! :) Borax and baking soda are just incredible cleaning agents. I wish I had a dishwasher to try it in! LOL. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:52:12 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a great idea - going to try it!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9403 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9403 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  10:18:22 AM  Show Profile
I use that for my laundry. Just borax and baking soda. 1 part borax to 2 parts baking soda.
sure gets the work clothes clean! Will have to try it for the dishwasher! thanks!!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  12:36:26 PM  Show Profile
I've been making mine with washing soda and borax for several years now. We do add vinegar in the rinse cycle, to help with our well water and with odor.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  8:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I started adding vinegar after getting the idea from the sisterhood and love it!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile
A little follow-up. My husband is the one who does most of our cooking and dishwashing (yeah, I know!!!) and he tells me that actually the 50/50 baking soda and borax isn't working so well. I'm going to try Kristina's blend and go back to adding white vinegar.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  1:33:16 PM  Show Profile
It didn't work for me either Rosamary. At first it was OK, but after a few times, I was finding crud on all the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  12:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I have tried and tried to make a dishwasher detergent that works in my hard, hard West Texas water. The addition of citric acid to the borax/washing soda works for many people in different parts of the US. Lemishine or Koolaid Lemonade contain citric acid. The addition of Kosher salt is supposed to aid in cleaning also. None of this has worked for me yet. So for the time being, while I continue to experiment, I'm using a half and half mixture of Cascade and my own concoction. I look forward to reading if someone else comes up with a good homemade recipe that will work for hard water.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  8:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy. I'm going to give up and go back to store-bought dishwasher detergent, or wash my dishes by hand when I have the time. Sorry I mislead everyone. I thought our experiment had worked. SusanScarlet mentioned having hard water, which we have, too. That might be the problem. I sure hope others of you are successful with a homemade alternative. :(
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  8:22:38 PM  Show Profile
I've tried too and haven't found anything that works. I had to clean the inside of my dishwasher after my last attempt,
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  08:28:11 AM  Show Profile
I also have hard water, but I have a water softener now. I wonder if a water softener will make difference? I'll go to the market tomorrow and buy everything and try it out and let you know. Has anyone ever added lemon juice to the mixture? Just wondering if it would help or hurt?
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile
We've been trying to find a solution for this too. So far I've had the same experience as the rest of you :(. I use soapnuts for my laundry and have been told that the soapnut liquid will work in the dishwasher, I just boiled down a bunch so we will see if it works. I'll let you know :).
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  2:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Hope Floats: I have a water softening unit in my house and my homemade stuff still doesn't work. BUT ... my half Cascade and half homemade stuff is working great. Try mixing your homemade stuff with an equal amount of your purchased detergent and see if it works for you. Even though I'm not completely replacing my purchased detergent, at least I'm extending it.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great tip, I'll try that next.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cheap, healthier dishwasher "soap" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page