paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  12:51:53 PM  Show Profile
anyone have good recipes..?I never make them the same twice...still haven't found a good pickling spice. I use cuks, red pepper, onions as a staple for pickes. Spices and types of vingear vary to what I have on hand..so never the same. Of course when one batch is really good, do I write it down.....no...thanks.paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Would also love a few good recipes. This was my Gramp's job each morning during the summer and i have tried to copy his but just can't quite get it right! (he was also the one to daily make the banana/tapioca pudding for dessert)

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  7:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
A friend shared this one and I'll modify it if I do it again and I'll tell you why at the end.

1 gallon sliced fresh cucumbers
2 onions, sliced
2 tsp. celery seed
2 tbs. salt
1 c. white vinegar
2 c. sugar
1 tbs. pickling spice

Her instructions said to fix jars with all ingredients and refrigerate overnight, adding more cucumbers to fill jars as needed. Be sure to invert daily and eat after 10 days.

I prepared 4 quart jars, then mixed the vinegar, sugar, and spices. I felt like I needed to heat it slightly to melt the sugar, or else the last jar would be REALLY sweet. I did and divided the liquid. I inverted, shook, added a bit here and there, and we've begun eating them.

BUT, we're accustomed to either bread and butter or dills. These aren't sweet, but aren't tangy either. The pickling spice throws us off. Too much clove and cardamom (and other what we consider to be sweet spices) for us to be happy. I know it's only 1 T., but we REALLY taste it. My hubby asked me to make them again with my spices - which are mustard seed, tumeric, and celery seed with cider vinegar. I may try them just to see if they'll work. They were wickedly simple and Kim said they'd last for 9-12 months. Can't beat that!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  08:53:15 AM  Show Profile
yum thanks! I think my gramps used to put a small dash of nutmeg in as well. I think this was his little secret modification, lol!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  05:41:14 AM  Show Profile
This is the recipe we used last year

http://www.organicgardening.com/cook/refrigerator-pickles

The kids loved them so much that they ate up the entire harvest with this recipe. We never canned any for winter. I plan to can some this season.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  07:02:18 AM  Show Profile
thanks, holly and kristina....paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  07:47:01 AM  Show Profile
Martha Stewart suggests never throwing out pickle juice. So if you find a pickle juice you like, since it's mainly vinegar and salt as long as you keep it in the fridge it will pretty much last forever. You can keep on adding fresh veggies to it. I notice it takes about two weeks sitting in the fridge pickling to get the pickled effect I'm looking for. So if you ever find a pickle juice you really like once the pickles are gone, don't get rid of the extra juice, just keep adding fresh veggies to it (cucumbers, zucchini, cauliflower, what ever you like pickled) till all the juice is gone!

Heather

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  11:06:21 AM  Show Profile
Mmm..I was wondering this very thing today, Heather! I was gifted the bestest tasting sweet pickles ever, and they are almost gone. Didn't last long! So, to add new pickling cukes, do I just slice them up or should I salt them first?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

ckb
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

kathy
pioneer ohio
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:54:41 PM  Show Profile
My neighbors ammas recipe for 7 day pickels. omg these may be the best I have ever tasted. Mix together 1/2 - 3/4 c. salt, 4c water, 4c. vinegar. In a 1 gallon jar (with lid) Our local pizza shop sells them for a $ first put in 3-4 cloves of garlic, and a handful or two of fresh dill. Then add your cukes however you like them sliced, then top that with another 3-4 cloves of garlic, and a handful or two fo fresh dill. Pour in your brine. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 7 days. She says you must use fresh dill and that they will keep for 6 months in the fridge. I have not tried to make this yet but had hers yesterday and all I can say is mmmmm
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic refrigerator pickles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page