Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile
Okay i know it sounds weird, but my plan is to get a Scottish Highlander to milk. my dad owns three milk cows, each one produces 5 gals of milk a milking! Thats just to much for me and my husband. Does any one out there milk a beef cow? I was wondering about how much milk i would get a day.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Megan, you can milk a beef cow but won't get near the milk a dairy cow would give. Or the cream either. I tried to milk my Red Angus cow Mazie. But this is her first calf. A friend of mine had a dairy for years. he said the first year I wouldn't get much. She will be producing just enough for a calf right now. I did milk her a few times. The milk was good and sweet. But her udder is small so I let Chuck have it all. Next year I will try again. But it is done alot. It would be enough milk for a few people.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  8:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Keep up milking her Kris, you may never get as much as off a dairy cow, but the more you milk AND let the calf suckle the more she will produce.

Megan, I have read that beef/dairy hybrid heifers make good family milk cows as they still produce enough for a family, just not all 2-5 gallons that a full dairy does. You might want to look at cow breeds labelled as "dual purpose" or "triple purpose" to make sure you get enough milk to satisfy your needs.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  06:49:54 AM  Show Profile
We had cows growing up. My parents were very scientific about their breeding selection. Our holstein was bred always bred to a beef bull. That way she'd make enough milk for a very hungry baby that grow up to be eaten. We kept one of her daughters. Years later our farm ended up being a calf orphanage. We ended up with each girl having a calf, plus a few more.

Daisy (holstein) nursed three at once. It was so funny watching her hind quarters fly into the air when all three would bump her udders at the same time. Delilah (the cross breed) nursed one or two can't remember. We were able to milk enough from her to bottle feed another baby.

I'm not sure where I was going with the story, but I guess I was showing that beef/dairy mixed cows can produce a huge chunk of milk. I'd almost prefer a mix personally so I'm not over run with more milk than my family/friends could handle.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  07:02:19 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of it being done. My Jersey cow, Mona produces 6 to 7 gallons a day for months and months. I get her down slowly to 4 gallons a day so I can go to once a day milking later on (for winter) but it IS alot of milk.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  07:02:41 AM  Show Profile
How about a Dexter? They give less than a full size cow but are great smaller milk cows. If I can buy/ rent an adjoining pasture that is what I want.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  07:06:11 AM  Show Profile
How about a Dexter? They give less than a full size cow but are great smaller milk cows. If I can buy/ rent an adjoining pasture that is what I want.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile
well i have a minute. i thought i would say we have been raising dexters for 18 years now. in love with them totally. we also have jersey. my first milk cow was buttercup. she was a small mini jersey cross. she taught me a whole lot about cows milking and farm life. we now are breeding A-2 A-2 dexters with jersey A-2 A-2. i believe they are the perfect mix for us and or small farms. if a bull is born he will beef up from the dexter side. if a heifer you can milk her. dexters can give between 2 and 5 gallons. depends on cows age and size of bag. i believe maddie will produce at least 3 gallons when in full lactation. she is a white park / dexter cow. she is A_2.dexters give hardiness and ease of calving calmness and good food conversion ratio. they are easy keepers. just a few ideas for you. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
well i found a hefier calf, just weaned. know i have to halter break her. she is a scottish highlander, if she isnt a used for a milk cow we will use her as a stock cow. have to see what happens

thanks for all your help

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the scottish highland cows Megan! I hope she works out well for you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile
oh boy those are the cutest calves. congratulations happy days for you. can you post a pic? sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile
They are the cutest little calves!!! I'd love to know what you decide. I wish I had time for a milk cow! Maybe when DD gets a little older.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  09:31:30 AM  Show Profile
okay there is a picture up on my web page, dont know how to get it on here
its the second pic just click on it to make it bigger. she only weighs about 200lbs and is pretty and wild
not a great picture, but i tried to take some last night but with the flash all you could see was bugs
hoping to get a pg just for her up

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  10:35:29 AM  Show Profile
well that is a cute calf for sure. she is probably nervous right now. new home and all. i bet she sweetens right up to you. ours love bananas peel and all. so happy for you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Beef Cow For A Milk Cow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page