Omah2
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandra
St. Petersburg Florida
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  6:27:18 PM  Show Profile
The fourth of July is just around the corner and one of my favorite days of the year at my beach condo. I can choose to participate and walk the beach passing all the individual parties or stay up on the 3rd floor deck and watch it all surround me.
This year I will appreaciate it even more as my son who has just returned from his 6th time in either Afganastan or Iraq has been home for a couple weeks. He is a wonderful man now who chooses to make this, defending the principles of America, a lifetime ocupation.
I know how much as a family we have missed in each others lives by his constant absence.I wonder if most people relize how much the entire family is affected by these brave peoples choices. Not only the wives/husbands, and children but siblings and mothers and fathers too.
So I ask for those who read this that you all stop this fourth for just one minute and appriaciate the sacrafices of the men/women and the families that are working very hard to keep those ideals of America spreading across the world and keeping us safe.

Farmgirl on the beach....
Live a simple life of restraint and moderation, in which the primary good is "the health of the body and the soul's freedom from disturbance" Epicurus

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  6:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Sandra
How true it is that not only are those serving affected by being away from their loved ones but also the families who are waiting..always waiting. We are an ex-military family and when my children were young it seemed it was always hurry up and wait. We waited to celebrate our special days till Daddy was at home. We made a lot of adjustments and he served his years but did not stay in till retirement. I am not sorry he left the service but am proud that he chose to serve his country. I am grateful for those who sacrifice their time and really their families make so many sacrifices too. You can never get back those years when the children are little and they miss so much of their growing up years. Thanking God for all those who make these sacrifices willingly.
May the 4th have the significance it deserves as we celebrate the freedoms that we have.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  9:21:06 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in a military family (my Dad retired from the Navy but most of it was reserves, I think.)and I met both of my husbands at the USO. I am so GRATEFUL not only to the men and women in uniform but also the families. I worked for many years with PTSD Vets and their families. Freedom truely isn't free and I am indebted not only to all those who put their life on the line every day for me and all of this nation, but also to the families who wait and worry at home. My best friends son is serving in Afghanastan right now and I know we will spend the next year praying him home safely. Thank you to all who serve away or at home. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  07:20:37 AM  Show Profile
I did not grow up on a military family but I do appreciate all that these men and women do for us. Their wives, children, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, I feel, are serving right along with them. I think your incredible sacrifice is just as important as theirs. I think it takes a special person to be in the military or in a miitary family. Thank you!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Omah2
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandra
St. Petersburg Florida
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  08:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses girls. I appreciated your stories,and are happy that those who haven't been through it can still understand.Its not all bad, we get to travel the world when we visit the bases and meet many wonderful and diverse people. Joey I see now that your from Dunedin, my favorite place on St. Pattys Day.

Live a simple life of restraint and moderation, in which the primary good is "the health of the body and the soul's freedom from disturbance" Epicurus
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  08:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, thanks for posting this topic. Thank you for the sacrifices your family makes for our country. Please tell your son thank you from all of us!!!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I didn't grow up with parents in the service, but my step-daddy served before he married my mama. He was a police officer when our family merged. My FIL was also in the service, before my DH was born. I never experienced the waiting, or worrying, but my gratitude is immense.
Not only for our service men and women, but for their families. Thank you too Sandra, for being the supportive and loving mom your son needs, and for raising such a proud and outstanding son, who is willing to protect all of us! Special thanks to all of you, especially on the 4th!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  5:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah Sandra. It really is a nice town and there is always something going on downtown. Sent you an e-mail. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  5:08:43 PM  Show Profile
I have a professor who is originally from Ukraine, and she asked me about my patriotism as a military veteran and as a wife of an active duty sailor. She couldn't quite grasp the concept of it. I guess it is a hard thing to explain when you really think about it. She was telling me that when she was growing up the Soviet Union was breaking apart, so there was no sense of national pride. That is such an odd concept to me, though when you think about it there are so many people here who feel the same way. It is sad to me. We live on base, so there is always a great sense of pride in our military and country. It is so strange being off base and not being surrounded by it.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Omah2
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandra
St. Petersburg Florida
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  11:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Thats an interesting story Liz I guess we just think everybody is the same.

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in a military family. Dad was an Army lifer. I still fly a flag on my home. The Star Spangled Banner brings tears to my eyes and I am saddened when people talk, walk around, don't remove their hats and don't place their hand over their heart when it is played. It seems patriotism has gone the way of civility these days.

The town I am living in right now is right next to Fort Campbell KY. We have a lot of military families here so the forth is always well celebrated. It warms my heart to look around and see entire families standing at attention, hat's off and hands over their hearts during the playing of the anthem. I see moms and dads teaching their little ones to be still and quiet. All is not lost!
Because I know the cost of our freedom on soldiers and their families (Dad is a veteran of three wars) I am so grateful for the service they do. Even now at 54 I feel like I was a good soldier for our country too by supporting my dad in his service.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Omah2
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandra
St. Petersburg Florida
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  06:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Amen to that Connie

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, thank you so much for raising up such a brave young man! (And thank him from us farmgirls for fighting so we can all talk freely here!) Patriotism is such an individual feeling-I think some people feel it in different ways than others. Sure, we all love our country, but some of us see our fallen relatives or friends, some see the ability to become a citizen and live and make good money here, some see kids selling lemonade, some see fireworks... but each of those things make up peoples "Patriotism"...and I think that's so cool.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic 4th of July Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page