True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello Chickens!
I need some help and I am hoping that you wonderful ladies can help me out. I have a yo-yo spread that has been in my family for a long time, I am the fourth generation to work on it! I have decided to repair/restore and finish the spread to put on my antique bed (the one it was made for and is as old). My Mama who is 79 years young and I will be working on this together long distance as she is in SC and I will be in CO.

The problem I am having is finding Chintz fabric!!! I have ordered several yards at a mostly reasonable price, but most is prohibitively expensive. So here is my question, do any of you Chickies know of sources for Chintz fabric, or can you recommend a good substitute (will break my Mama's heart, but better to have the spread than not I think), or perhaps you have some tucked away that you do not have a use for that I could purchase. I have been searching the internet for a couple of days and have not found any more than the few yards I purchased. This will be the last project my Mama and I work on together as she has cancer, so it is very important to us both. Please, please please put your collective hen hats on and let me know!

Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:02:20 PM  Show Profile
How do you know for sure if the fabric is chinz?
Good luck to you, and have you looked on ebay?
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  3:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Chintz fabric used to be made exclusively in India. It is cotton, was usually hand painted, there was a soaking process, then it was beaten so one side of the fabric was shiny. In more modern times, beeswax was also used to give the cotton a shiny side. In modern times they actually coat one side of the fabric with teflon. So it is a cotton fabric that has a shiny side with the pattern usually only on one side.

And yes I did look on Ebay, but did not see any I could afford, but thank you for the idea!

Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Can you post a picture of the quilt or the fabric that you have bought? I have a piece of old but new chintz, but I am assuming it will not be the same time period you are looking for. If you could post the pics. that would be great.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  07:16:03 AM  Show Profile
The entire thing is made from Chintz fabric. And I am really only looking for "ANY" Chintz fabric, not just the old stuff. Here is a picture of the spread.

www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Margaret

Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020

Edited by - MEWolf on Jun 24 2011 10:49:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile
This place http://store.schindlersfabrics.com/chfaisba.html has some solid on their web site at only $6 yard.
This store is amazing and is in my town http://maryjos.com/default.aspx. I did not see anything listed as chintz but they have an Ask Mary Jo button and I would try that. Where in SC is your mom and does she get out to shop. This store is huge and is on I85 just about 20 miles from the SC state line.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Thank you for this link! I will check it out. My Mama lives on John's Island just south of Charleston.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  4:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Thank you for this link! I will check it out. My Mama lives on John's Island just south of Charleston.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Chintz-y Dreaming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page