sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, my daughter, who works at a vet clinic, brought home a baby cottontail rabbit. Some man had brought it in and said that his co-workers had been abusing it for days and that they had been boasting about spray painting it with red paint. The little feller is just tiny and so gentle. It fits in the palm of my hand.

How could someone do something like that? What possible benefit could this kind of behavior give? Please farmgirls, help me to know that this world is not a scary place where our brothers and sisters will harm the innocents for fun?

My heart is filled with such sorrow.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  07:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to be Debbie Downer......I just think it is a topic that needs to be discussed.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  07:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I can't even begin to say the words that I feel about animal cruelty..it would take volumes..I worked in an animal shelter for 2 and half years and had to leave--humans completely destroyed my spirit and my heart was broken. All because of their treatment of these beautiful gifts of nature.

I'm glad that little thing is in loving hands now, bless him, bless your and your daughter.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6655 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6655 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile
It is a shame, how animals are abused, but look also what people do to our children. I do not understand the world and some of the people in it and how anyone can be so cruel to children or animals.
There are people out there who do not consider animals family and a important part of their lives so they are treated differently sadly.
I believe when animals are abused that the penalty for it should be stiffer with time in jail, maybe that would stop it I do not know.
It saddens me too and I cry every time I hear another child or animal was abused. I am just so happy the man cared enough to bring the precious baby rabbit to the vet, so it can not be abused anymore.
Sorry I could go on and on and it bothers me so much as well.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  08:00:13 AM  Show Profile
It happens on farms too. There is a farm down the road that makes me avert my head every time I pass by. There are horses and cattle (way to many) on a pasture of dirt and a few weeds they won't eat. I see an occasional pile of hay but the animals are thin and depressed looking. There is also a pen of goats next to the barn. Mommas and babies with no shelter from the rain or sun. Small plastic water containers that are often turned over and empty. Have you ever seen a skinny pig? His are.
They also shoot any dog on sight. But theirs run free and are often on our land.
We are afraid of these people and so are the other neighboring farms. They are always drunk and armed.
What to do?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Connie, why have you or your neighbors , not called the humane dept???There are laws in all states regarding cruelty to animals...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Because we are afraid of retaliation. I know it would be assumed that it would be anonymous but in a small town like this I'm not sure it would be. If it were anonymous whoever they thought it was would get their retaliation. I can't do that to my neighbors and I'm sure they feel the same way. Kind of a good old boy way of doing things around here. They have been here many generations and we are "outsiders" despite being here 15 years.
There are not many people here that share our views on animals or even caring for the land in a sustainable manner. Animals are things, the land is flooded with chemicals and women are referred to as "little lady" or Miss what ever your first name is. If a service person comes to your door they immediately ask to speak to your husband.
We want to make a difference here and getting ourselves burned out or afraid to walk our land would prevent that. I try to keep my eye on the bigger picture as hard as that is sometimes. We are planning a commercial kitchen that will be available for rent for the farm families here to make Added Value products for their market stands and retail. It will also provide meeting space and a retail area for local products. We hope to hire local people to clerk the store and eventually to manage the kitchen.
Our misfortune is that they decided to build and farm on land we have to drive by. Believe me they are not the only ones that keep animals like this around here. We cannot change them by force but hope to lead by example.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Connie
I know exactly what you are talking about. We made the mistake of calling about a dog that was being abused. The next week we came home and two of our dogs were laying in the yard both had been strangled. Nothing was ever done about this and nothing was ever done about the abused dog. So I can understand your frustration.

Marilyn

Sunshine hugs
Farmgirl #408
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  3:56:02 PM  Show Profile
I hate to hear that Marilyn. We keep our dogs close to the house but plan to get a guardian dog when we get our goats. Sadly I worry because they will be pastured on road frontage. But it is a reality we are learning to live with.
I knew I could not be the only one here that has had to deal with this!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Animal cruelty is such a horrible epidemic in our country. I have worked with various humane societies and it rips me apart. I honestly don't understand the mentality that enables people to treat animals in such a way.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:04:33 PM  Show Profile
I agree Alee. That is what separates us from them. I can't wrap my mind around it. The attitude of animals as "things" is prevalent in many of the third world countries I have visited. It is as if they don't view animals as sentient.
Karma must really suck for them...
Connie

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:30:51 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I hate hate hate is seeing the commercials where they show abused animals. They make me want to cry! All of our dogs have been rescue dogs from the humane scoiety, and almost four years ago, my friend's family adopted a dog from the Humane Society who was from a puppy mill (our Humane Society bought out a huge puppy mill here in Wisconsin). I think that animal cruelty is just as bad as abusing a child. Animals feel pain, and when abused, they get fearful. My dog was abused, and she still crouches when my Mom even raises her voice after 8 years with us.
Marilyn and Connie, I wish that your situations were better. That's so sad.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Megan, me too. All our house pets are rescues. Have been since I had my first place years and years ago! I've had several wonderful dogs that had very good lives with us. We have never had to go find a cat. They seem to just show up on the farm. : )
Connie

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Connie, we're not cat people, but we have had three rescue dogs. One of them is my family pet, and one of them is still with my Grandma. She's 18, and it's going to be a very, very sad day when she passes. But she's had a good life! We wouldn't ever think of getting dogs from regular stores though, only rescue pets. Glad to know others are rescue only, too!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:54:37 PM  Show Profile
I have taken in many alpacas who had been beaten, starved and then on their way to being destroyed. One took three years to have his life turn around and become all he could be. I also had one of my Great Pry's shot because she was chasing away a coyote that was attacking a freshly born calf because the neighbors never watched their stock. The guy knew my dog would never hurt anyone and was chasing the coyote in the opposite direction - when I confronted him he said to me "What your #$@*%!& problem - it's only a dog.." That has been 13 years ago and I still can not believe it... I dealt with children in the court system who did horrible things to animals - that is where we get our serial killers...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile
I spotted my new quote in one of my farming books, it's just so true, and so applicable to this discussion.

I couldn't deal working on the front lines of animal cruelty. It boils my blood to see people neglect or mistreat creatures like that.

Either because they're too comfortable in their house to remember there's an animal outside that needs food/shelter/water, or picking on an animal because they think they'll get away with it, my inner Valkyrie comes out.
I really hate when it's a parent that brushes off an animal that is dying of malnutrition or dehydration by saying, "Oh, it's the kid's pet. It's their responsibility to take care of it (not mine)"

Way to teach criminal irresponsibility baddie.

I especially hate when "parents" who play video games ignore their children in favor of the stupid online game. I've seen astonishing failures in the parenting arena from my desktop. (While my well fed and relatively clean rugrats play outside, nap or are happily playing solo of course.) It really gives those of us with the same hobby a bad name.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Sheron.. the horror and anger I feel it. We have been rescuing critters for the past eight years. The anger I felt when I found a small full-blood boxer that showed up at my neighbors place.. she was covered in blood and you could count every bone in her small body. Yet she stood there and wagged her butt (her tail was already docked) and jumped a little and gave us a huge grin. We melted and cried all the way to the vet. We were afraid the vet couldn't fix her. But it turned out she had Hemadex mange (red mange) and was very nearly dead with starvation. With medication and food and constant love you can't tell that Betsie was every abused. She's the happiest dog ever. And that is about what we had to do with every rescue we have taken on.
What we know about this situation is that there was a breader selling puppies with red mange.. red mange is passed through to the puppies..it's not contagious to other animals. Betsie is a full blood Boxer that someone paid good money for..and probably when she became stressed her mange showed up which is nasty and smelly..and bloody.. so they tied her outside and forgot about her. Until one day that someone couldn't stand to see her or didn't want her to die in their backyard decided to dump her on a long country road.. and she ended up with us. I know she's thankful but I wonder if she knows how thankful we are to her.

How courts can allow people like that to get away with animal abuse.. I will never understand. Thankfully states are paying a little more attention to animal cruelty but it doesn't go far enough.

Cyn

Currently with me being in Louisiana and my Betsie is in Arkansas with the rest of my family.. I miss her so much. Tomorrow I'm going to the local no-kill animal shelter to see if they need any help.
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  12:31:48 AM  Show Profile
We adopt our dogs from the Oregon Humane Society as well. The rabbit story makes me so sick. I have a white bunny on my farm named Jasper and I love him dearly. I enjoy spoiling him and he is very personable. I hope that person is brought to justice for what he did....

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  09:18:13 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with everyone here. I just do not understand people who can hurt an animal and seem to enjoy it. Right now we have a case of someone beheading cats in our area. They are trying to find out who is doing it. I just dont understand how someone could do that.

My daughter wanted to be a vet when she was young. She went to work for a local vet for a couple of years. She quit. She could deal with any of the animals but some of the people that came in were just too much to take. A man came in with a German Sheppard pup that he had in the back of his truck. Apparently it had jumped or fallen out of the truck and he just kept driving, dragging it along. It was a mess and all he could say was he guessed he could not sell it now. That was it for her, she quit. How sad some people's livees must be to hurt an animal.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Animal Cruelty Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page