Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hydrangeas Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  9:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else have hydrangeas? Mine are in full bloom, a beautiful bright blue color that cheers me up every time I see them. I have some dried blossoms, too, that I use for decoration. They must like the soil and the climate around here cause I've seen them in other people's yards and they look all happy and healthy. Most of the one I see around here are blue; what color is predominant in your region?
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  03:48:37 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a purple one! I mostly see white ones, but I heard you can control the color by changing the PH of your soil.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

french08
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Kim
Sharon Springs NY
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  06:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Mine are a vibrant pink. I have always loved hydrangeas and this year decided to plant some. I should have done my homework on them, I guess. The ones I purchased are a spring bloom variety and not the heirloom one I thought it was. But, they are still beautiful and they are all getting new leaves and growth on them. I am so excited! I understand that their color will depend on your soil balance. As my flowers fade, they turn from vibrant pink to a lavender blue color.

~~Kim French~~
Farmgirl Sister #2997
Farmgirl at Heart From The Start
Go to Top of Page

quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Mine are just starting to bloom..kinda blue-purple. So pretty. Such a loooong winter we had, every blossom and bloom is a thrill!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:10:15 PM  Show Profile
When I was walking boxer this evening, I noticed on one street that four different houses all had pink hydrangeas. I wonder if the soil is that much different--they're in a valley and I'm on a hill. Mine are still a brilliant blue.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:30:01 PM  Show Profile
I love hydrangeas! Mine are just starting to open and the colors are peeking through.
I have a purple and a pink, and I just got a small blue one for Mother's Day. I've always wanted blue! Well, then I got sick for a couple of weeks, and now it's just a stick!! I planted it, and hope it comes back next year (or the next...) in BLUE!!
Yes, I hear it's the acidity in the soil, but mine stay their own color even though they are planted in the same area. Science is crazy, huh?
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hydrangeas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page