Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Have you squished your boobs lately???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Have you squished your boobs lately??? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Hey Girls,

I'm reminding you to make that overdue mammogram appointment if you're procrastinating on it! 20 minutes of discomfort is much better than cancer, chemo, radiation, mastectomies...etc etc. Call today!!

So you're asking why I'm pestering you about this? December '05 I found out that I am BRCA2+. Which means that I have a gene mutation (as do my Mom & Grandma) that gave me a 80-90% chance of getting breast cancer in my lifetime. Not good odds considering the normal woman (without the mutation) has a 12% chance in her lifetime. So in May I had double mastectomy, TRAM flap reconstruction and a supra-cervical hysterectomy to lower my risk. It's now 2%....much better odds if you ask me.

So, I wear pink, have awareness ribbons on my car, house, person. I walk in multiple fundraising events each year and raise thousands of dollars for Susan G. Komen, I pester my friends and loved ones....and now you!! So please, don't neglect it because it's uncomfortable....it's only 20 minutes of your day! Cancer can be forever!

Take care of yourself!
Heather

Live Long, Laugh Often, Farm Much!!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile
You know what...I have been putting it off and I am overdue...I will for sure make an appointment to do the "squishing"...you are right, of course. Thanks for the reminder. I am so glad you have such good odds now!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Jenny...that's what I like to hear!! It's such an uncomfortable experience, but I can tell you first hand that having a mastectomy is far worse! So squish squish squish!! :o)

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:47:46 PM  Show Profile
September is my squish month. Oh joy, oh rapture!
You are so smart to take preventative measures. I think that so many women overlook their own health while caring for their families.
Thanks for the post.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  9:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Karin...You're right, women do overlook their own health...to get snacks, or drive to soccer practice or to have dinner on the table! I was there 7 months ago! We put everyone ahead of us and neglect ourselves in the process.

I've had so many women with Breast Cancer tell me how brave I was for getting the mastectomy....but I always answer....if you knew you could have prevented getting BC, wouldn't you have done it too? It wasn't bravery to me...it was necessity! I watch my Mom, who is stage 4, go through rounds of chemo and radiation. One month her hair is growing back, the next it's falling out and the emotional rollercoaster that she'll be forever riding, and I just know I don't ever want to be in her shoes. Or to have my children watch me as I watch her. It's a terrible disease and can be cured if caught early. Ok ok...I'll stop venting now. :o) I am very passionate about this, as I'm sure you can tell. So, good for you for having your appointment scheduled!! Keep it up! :o)

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what age you should start a yearly mammogram?
If you have a high risk family do you start getting them sooner?
I am not so sure...
Thanks ladies
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile
I thoroughly believe in preventative measures such as mammograms but I also believe in beating the odds. Remember that what you believe and give your energy to is what you will manifest. It's a Universal law. Maybe so many women get breast cancer because they believe they're "fated" to because it's in their family. Not true! Choose faith instead of fear in addition mammograms and check ups and see what happens. Don't put your faith in the odds.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Kate,

Because of my family history, I started mammograms at 30. Most women don't start until 40. Speak to your doctor and form a plan that's right for you.

Patricia, I respect your beliefs but I would have to say that the millions of women in the world struggling with Breast Cancer would not agree with your statement. I personally believe that having a healthy attitude can change situations but I don't think it would prevent cancer. My Mother, who's had Breast Cancer on 3 separate occassions, never felt "fated" when she first contracted BC. I'm sure she does now, but only because she's dieing of it and she has more will to live than anybody I know. Good luck to you.

~H

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  09:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather and thanks for the comment. I know my view is not a popular one because most people don't know the tremendous role they play in their own well being. It's now being proven scientifically the effect that the mind has on the body. I know this because my husband is an internationally knkown Theoretical Physicist who is the author of one of the 6 current Theories of Everything and he has educated me on the subject. Science is finally coming around to proving these very exciting concepts.

I've made a study of this mind/body connection for 30 years, worked in hospice as a Methodist minister, and taught and counselled hundreds of people. I even saved my own life 28 years ago when I was given months to live.

It's more than having a healthy attitude. It's KNOWING that right here and right now your body is whole and healthy. And it's not easy to change such deeply held beliefs, but it's worth it. It doesn't really matter what runs in one's family or what anyone else says, especially those who are only going on what everybody else thinks.

It's always hard to voice this view because everybody has a loved one who has some physical problem and who is insulted by an implication that they have either done something wrong or not done enough. This is not what I am saying. My total sympathies are with you and your mother. My mother died of pneumonia and senile dementia. My dad died of cancer and I have had close friends who have died of cancer and AIDS . My sister-in-law has MS and is totally incapacitated. Etc., etc. I believe the day will come when we will be taught how to prevent illness instead of anticipating it. That day is not yet here and there is no blame to be placed anywhere.

All I am saying is that from my own experience, eduation, and working in the field, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that our mindset and intention play an enormous role in our physical health. All I ask is that people consider this. Like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

We create our own reality. Isn't that more exciting than thinking you have no control over it?

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  10:08:18 AM  Show Profile
I had mine done 2 weeks ago!!!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  10:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Patricia, you can believe what you'd like, but I wouldn't make statments such as "so many women get breast cancer because they believe they're "fated" to"!! I don't know one woman who would wish such a thing on themselves. I'm sure most would find that statement offensive. I did, and I've never had cancer...or wished to!! I took my preventive measures so that I wouldn't spend the rest of my life praying that I wouldn't get cancer....or trying to beat the odds of a 90% chance. So, I've taken control of my own destiny, as you put it. I guess that makes us similar and yet so different.

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  11:28:56 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I never said any woman wishes cancer on themselves. Go back and look at my posts without all that emotion. I get mammograms regularly, too. 90% is only 90% if you buy into it. I'm sorry that you're offended, but I stand by my statements

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  12:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls

Thanks for the reminder to get a mammogram. I am actually 2 months behind and was just thinking this morning that I should schedule an appt. Will call on my lunch hour today. My mother is a breast cancer survivor, and I have had some minor problems over the years.

However, I do agree with what Patricia is saying also about a mind-body connection. Patricia, doesn't Louise Hay of Hay House Publications believe the same thing? I believe that Dr Dean Ornish has also used meditation in the complete reversal of heart disease. Dr Bernie Siegel (SP?) has also written books on similar topics. Seems like this would also be connected to the Carolyn Myss and her theories of healing related to chakras.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

Edited by - connio on Jul 19 2006 1:02:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  1:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes, yes, yes - get the mammo! Because of my move in Oct. 2004 and a new job in March 2005 and a new health insurance, I didn't have my annual mammo in 2005. My mother was a 20-year breast cancer survivor, had a mastectomy when she was my age, and I have had an annual since I was 40. This year, when I made a "getting acquainted" appt with a new doctor (I am blessed with very good overall health and rarely go to the doctor, so hadn't been since Aug. 2004), the doctor thought I could wait to next year for the mammo...that would be TWO years, with MY history (which includes removal of a benign fibroadenoma almost 30 years ago!). But I was getting messages and finally just called and scheduled it myself. Guess what? They found "something" on the mammo which another mammo, and an ultrasound and a needle biopsy later they determined was another benign fibroadenoma. I also had a hysterectomy due to fibroids and had another lump removed...so my body likes to grow things - must be the Farm Girl Gardener in me! *grin* Anyhow, I am truly blessed with my health and will definitely be changing doctors to one who will read and respond to the personal medical history that I presented to him in our first (and only!) meeting.
Patricia, I SO wish I could have gotten to Farm Fair and met you! One reason for my deep disappointment when my car broke down on the way there to be a vendor was that the biopsy was on July 3 and I thought that being in the company of so many positive and uplifting women for the weekend would have been the best thing for my rather conflicted psyche at that time.
So get that test! Thanks, and best of health to you all! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Patricia, I think we should just agree to disagree!! It's obvious we look at it in different ways.

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Okie dokie, Heather. Either way, we're getting our mammograms and that's what counts.

Connie, yes, all of the folks you mention have contributed to the body of knowledge that we have about the mind/body connection. In fact, I interviewed Bernie Siegel years ago when I was a reporter and learned a lot from him. Also, Jerry Jampolsky is another pioneer in this field. He works with children with life-threatening diseases in Tiburon, California and was an early pioneer in visualization. I took a course from him in hospice training and it held me in good stead when it was my turn to use it not only on others but on myself.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Edited by - Utahfarmgirl on Jul 19 2006 3:01:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  3:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Patricia,
Have you ever heard of Dr.Stan Block? He has written a couple of books on the mind/body connection...He has done lots of research too.

Heather,
Good on ya! You can agree to disagree! We don't have to all think alike! It is our differences that makes us special. I understand that this is a very emotional issue for you, as you have so much pain involved...emotionally with your mother, physically with your surgeries...

The important thing is that we all take preventative measures to keep ourselves healthy.
It is also important to have a positive outlook on our health...I know this first hand, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Minere's disease, and heart valve disease.

I really appreciate you all and your individual voices.
Love and light to you all, sisters.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  8:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Last week I had a mamogram and then got a call Monday saying that i needed me to come back in for another that the ones I had last week didn't look right but It could just be a shadow. I worried some but told my self that It was probably just a shadow . When I went back today and I am glad to say that every thing was fine!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  3:42:23 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I have noticed 2 small bruises on my right breast recently and was just reading on the NET about inflammatory breast disease. Does anyone have any experience with this? There is a list of symptoms, and I don't have any of the other symptoms.

Have scheduled an appt with my internist on Tues. Trying not to panic, but I am a little scared in Texas!

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  3:52:18 PM  Show Profile
I go every year like clock work - have an appointment in Sept. I make it the same time I make my annual check up appointment because my doctor is at OHSU hospital, so it is just a walk upstairs to the radiology department.

Thanks for reminding everyone.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  8:20:15 PM  Show Profile
What age does this have to begin???
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  10:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I think the recommendation is annual mammogram at age 40 and after, but if you have a family history, you might want to check with your doctor. Since my mother had a mastectomy, I think I started on a regular basis in my 30s somewhere...

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  10:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, Judy is right. Check with your doctor to find out what's right for you. I started at age 30, but I have a very strong family history. The norm is 40.

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  06:34:38 AM  Show Profile
I'll be getting mine squished today, ladies!

August is always my mammo month, so I'll take the opportunity to remind everyone to schedule their own mammogram if it has been more than one year since the last one.

I saw an email joke about "Man-o-grams" a while back; that's a visual image to help us get through our own squishing ordeal!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  07:16:03 AM  Show Profile
My mother had BC when she was 42 years young. She had a mastectomy and is now almost 78 years young! I go get my boobs squished (they're little so it really hurts me) at the end of September. I have fibrous cysts which have cleared up by my taking vitamin E for the past 20 some odd years. As soon as I stop taking E, they come back. Please, ladies, take good care of yourselves. Farmgirls need to stick together and spread the word about our own self maintenance! Thank you and God bless.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  06:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Here's a cute posting about preparing for annual mammogramsm

"Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following practice exercises, you will be totally prepared for the test, and best of all, you can do these simple practice exercises right in your home.

Exercise 1:

Open your refrigerator door and insert one breast between the door and the main box. Have one of your strongest friends slam the door shut as hard as possible and lean on the door for good measure. Hold that position for five seconds. Repeat again in case the first time wasn't effective enough.

Exercise 2:

Visit your garage at 3 AM when the temperature of the concrete floor is just perfect. Take off all your clothes and lie comfortably on the floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend now to slowly back the car up until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for the other breast.

Exercise 3:

Freeze two metal bookends overnight. Strip to the waist. Invite a stranger into the room. Press the bookends against on of your breasts. Smash the bookends together as hard as you can. Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year and do it again.

You are now properly prepared."

P.S. After this, a real mammogram will be a relief!

Jo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Have you squished your boobs lately??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page