Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Trimmed my mule's hooves today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Trimmed my mule's hooves today Next Topic  

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:58:20 PM  Show Profile
I've been putting it off using one excuse or another...too hot, too dry, too wet, too busy. Today there was no excuse. The weather was warm but the humidity was low and there was a nice breeze. So I brought my long hooved mule in from the pasture and set up to trim her. I was so pleasantly surprised how well she did. You'd think by her age it would be no big deal anymore, but sometimes she can be quite unnerving. After today I'm beginning to think she is finally starting to mellow. And tonight I'm so glad to have that task off my list and off my mind not to mention the fact that her feet look sooo much better!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  7:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful that you know how to trim their hooves! I wish I knew how to do a trim job for my horse. One of these days I am going to take a class and learn. Save myself about $300 a year!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile
I, too, am jealous. I have tried to trim my horses' hooves but have no strength in my hands (carpal tunnel). Plus in the summertime their hooves are harder than rock. Even the farrier says so. Fortunately their hooves don't grow in the winter enough to necessitate having them trimmed. So I get a financial break until spring. But I always tell my shoer that I won't be calling him during the winter so he doesn't depend on my check.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  10:18:40 AM  Show Profile
When I trimmed professionally I used to tell my clients who wanted to maintain their own horses that if you keep up with it (do as I say, not as I do ) then you can keep their hooves in shape just by rasping. It is the same concept of keeping your own fingernails filed smooth and neat. A once a week rasping will keep them shaped up and never need a nipper. It is actually better and healthier for the horse anyway, prevents flares and keeps their hoof walls much stronger than allowing them to grow long and weak. A nice SaveEdge brand rasp is very sharp and doesn't require much strength at all!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  2:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am afraid to try it without training. Tala has to walk on those feet and I would feel so bad if I messed them up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Trimmed my mule's hooves today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page