Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have any good ideas to crub hot flashes? I am in menopause from surgery, and its been two years and they keep on commin! ugh! any helpful sugeations?

dreamer

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile
Angie,
Check around for an acupuncturist, I was have night sweats and the acupuncturist took care of that for me!
If you find an acupuncturist, ask how much schooling and what type of schooling.
(I first went to a chiropractor who also does acupuncture)
Chiropractors only need 150 hours of training to get certified.
The acupuncturist I have now, she has over 3000 hours of acupuncture and chinese medicine. There was no comparison in the results I was getting for many things she's treating me for.
just my two cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  2:57:41 PM  Show Profile
They do start going away, little by little. Mine were more at night then day time, but light clothing. open windows, ice water, a cold wash cloth to the neck. You pretty much just have to go with it unless they are very bad. I don't know how to compare mine with others, but I was able to deal with it. still get one now and again but not as bad, just kick the covers off. I guess some have a bad time of it and really do need some outside help. but I never took anything and feel I just about made it through to the end. Having the windows open in the dead of winter was not a lot of fun for Richard, but I was happy. And you know that old saying, IF MAMA'S NOT HAPPY, NOBBODY HAPPY!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  3:48:33 PM  Show Profile
I have had them for years, also due to surgery (1993), still have them. I'm not on any meds, but my doctor recommends black cohash, and it has helped. But then I'm just naturally hot all the time anyway!!!! :>)

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
Try eating more soy products. Soy contains plant estrogens that can help replace what you've lost. I recently had a hysterectomy and have been eating more soy and flax and I can really tell the difference from when I slack on it. You should try that out!

Live Long, Laugh Often, Farm Much!!
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I've read and personally find that caffein and alcohol make the hot flashes worse. Go easy on the coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks and
anything with caffein, and easy on wine and other products with alcohol.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  03:59:20 AM  Show Profile
I know a lot of folks recommend soy, but there is a word of warning. First of all, some/most soy is genetically modified - you can google for info on how that effects all of us. Second, if you have a risk of having estrogen fed breast CA or have had breast or reproductive organ CA - STAY AWAY FROM SOY! It is a phytoestrogen and can "feed" estrogen fed tumors.

Black Cohosh works similarly to phytoestrogen, but according to a recent issue of Alternative Health, research has shown that black cohosh does NOT increase risks in those with estrogen fed tumors.

Another good herb to add is Evening Primrose Oil. It also has other benefits and in fact was prescribed by the oncologist for a friend of mine who is battling Stage IV uterine and ovarian cancer.
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  10:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
I've talked on other posts about natural replacement hormones. I'm on them as pre-menapausal, and I feel great. Here is the website of my doctor. I urge you to educate yourself and find a OB/GYN that will prescribe these hormones.

http://www.hotzehwc.com/about_us/

I urge everyone to read these success stories. You are sure to find one that fits you. This is also a part of Dr. Hotze's site.

http://www.howigotmylifeback.com/stories.cfm

This story describes my symptoms until I went! A true gift from my husband, too.

http://www.howigotmylifeback.com/stories-read.cfm?id=162

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help from Hot Flashes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page