kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  2:44:22 PM  Show Profile
I just got back from taking my hubby to Kingsport, Tn. He has been on a 2 week vacation and had to go there to get another truck so he could get "back on the road again". That's a long drive. He drove up there and it was 235 miles from the house. He wants to talk while he drives. I don't. I brought a magazine and a good book to read.

So on the way back it's just me. I put in the Crazy Horse CD. I love that CD. I have not seen that movie yet though. So I crank it up and drive. I love to travel by myself. I can do whatever I want. Stop when I want. I listened to that and Adele, Crystal Bowersox ( I can't wait for another CD from her. She is SO good.) and The Band Perry. All the way home.

So what are some of your favorite travelin' tunes? Something ya just want to crank up and sing along with while driving down the highway?

It is so good to be home. Just about 500 miles. I don't want to get back in the car for a long time. Oh, I thought I saw Ruth (Violet Rose) at a rest stop. But she's home already from Col. I got a nice farmgirl birthday present from her. She is so sweet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  3:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Good travelling music for me ranges - Bruce Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles,teh Cranberries, then i slide over to some Elvis, Martina McBride, Lady Antebellum, you name it - if I can sing along to it - I love it! I know what you mean about travelling alone though - nice to stop when and where you want!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile
I like a little bit of most music. My DH likes to have the radio off and talk too when we go somewhere. I like to have some music going. Lately I've been on The Doors, Gogol Bordello and Zydeco--what a combination, lol.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  6:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Michael Feinstein, Kristin Chenoweth, Rosemary Clooney, Kristin Chenoweth, Trisha Yearwood, Kristin Chenoweth, Toby Keith, Kristin Chenoweth, Heart, Kristin Chenoweth, Diana Krall, Kristin Chenoweth, Gino Vannelli, Kristin Chenoweth, Gino Vannelli, Peggy Lee, Yo Yo Ma, Gino Vannelli, Kristin Chenoweth, Allison Kraus, Kristin Chenoweth, Stan Getz, Kristin Chenoweth, Sergio Mendes, Kristin Chenoweth, John Lee Hooker, Kristin Chenoweth, Frank Sinatra, Kristin Chenoweth,Stray Cats, Kristin Chenoweth, Gino Vannelli, & one of my newest faves...Kristin Chenoweth. She just makes me smile
Nothing subliminal intended
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile
This is some good music. Some I have not heard of. I love Zydeco. And Lisa, Kristin Chenowith was on the CMT awards show just now. She is so cute. And so little. How does that voice come out of that little bitty person anyway? She is good. And I love Allison Kraus. I was at Target the other day and saw a CD of her with some other singers. I would like to have that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  8:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris,
I saw her on the CMT awards. I don't lnow if she fits in with the country music scene or not. She has such a 40's style voice..but I just love her attitude &, yes, would love to be 4'11" & a size 0 ...with a 4+ octave range. & a sweet personality to boot.
Love me some Allison Kraus too.. What an angel..
& .. I am not ashamed to admit.. I would love to be the middle of a Toby Keith, Trace Adkins sandwich!
Now that would be some good eatin!!
& beat any grass fed beef from....well, darn, pert near anywhere!!!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  07:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, you crack me up!

My husband's ipod has over 15,000 songs on it, and yep, he's heard them all. I joke that's his "survival kit". On trips we listen to just about everything, but some of our favorites are:
Ray Lamontagne, Patty Griffin, good friend and Nashville transplant, Otis Gibbs (he sings truck drivin' songs, Kris, your dh might just take a shine to him!) http://otisgibbs.com/
The Beatles, the Stones, Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska", The Pogues, The Counting Crows first release...really, just about anything that sounds like scenery passing by quicker than you can see it.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Was Otis Gibbs at Rabbit Hash maybe?
Seems I remember an artist there 5 or so yrs ago?
I'm embarrassed to say, but I have an IPod & have never used it. I REALLY need to before it goes the way of the 8 track.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, Otis rolls through here every now and again, Lisa. Justin started booking him at the York Street and then we hooked him up with the General Store (in Rabbit Hash). I'll let you know if and when he's next in these parts. He's awesome. And one of the best souls I know. He played in Louisville a couple of weeks ago but Janice and David couldn't get out of a previous commitment.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to get an Ipod of my own because Jus ALWAYS has his with him and there are times, though few, that I want some music on.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I love him! I have him playing right now. Kansas City. The video shows the big fireworks store not too far from here. I would love to have a cd of his. Where do you find his music? I have heard some people on coldantler blog that I would like to have too but I don't think they'd be in a music store. Thanks so much for telling me about him. I do think my hubby would like him too. He looks like a truck drivin' biker just like hubby.

Lisa, you crack me up too! It sure feels good to laugh like a crazy woman sometimes!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile
That's awesome, Kris! I'm so glad you dig him--I listen to him all the time, and never tire. He's such a great person, and so talented. A few years back, he did a tour of grain elevators across the west to promote his new album! He'd get the ok from the owner, then start playing. He said that for awhile, folks would just look at him kind of sly eyed, and then they'd come on over and sit a spell. He and his gal, Amy Lashley, also a talented singer/songwriter, moved from the Indianapolis music scene (they're both from Wanamaker) to Nashville last year and it's been a real good thing.

You can buy his cd's directly from his website (I think paypal works) or Itunes, if I'm not mistaken. If that doesn't work, I can get a hold of him thorugh Facebook and see what I can do. OR, I can just burn all of them and send to you :) Best, though, is to see him live if you can. He travels around ALOT, so keep your eyes peeled!!

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile
I always listen to Bob Dylan, CCR, or Grateful Dead on long road trips. My cabin is on Hwy 61 on Minnesota's north shore, of the Hwy 61 Revisted fame of Bob Dylan, so I always feel a kindred connection to that album. If I am by myself I like classical, but nobody else usually likes it!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  5:53:35 PM  Show Profile
My ipod has over 500 songs on it and they vary from Hank Williams, Flogging Molly, Crystal Bowersox, Keith Urban, Dropkick Murphys, Green Day , Grateful Dead, Toadies, etc..... something for everyone! Me, i like it all.

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  6:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh man, it is awesome to see some other ladies who like Flogging Molly, Pogues, and Dropkick Murphys...most people look at me like I"m crazy when I mention I like them, lol. Dylan, the Dead and CCR are also really good. I like a lot of classic rock and general "hippy" music as my DH calls it; actually I like a little bit of most stuff from classical to death metal (don't care a whole lot for rap, modern country, modern pop, hip hop and most modern R&B) I've got tons of music on my computer...I'd love to get an ipod to have it handy but that'll have to wait probably until they don't make them anymore before I can afford one, lol.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile
So what kind of music is Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys? I love the old 70's classic rock too. Brings back lots of good memories. I forgot Natalie Merchant and Gillian Welsh too.

Jonni, could you check his facebook and see what he has? Do you know him? He seems like a great guy. My SIL reminds me of the lead singer in the Zack Brown band. He plays and sings alot like him. They could be twins actually.

When it's just me at home I like to turn on the tv to the music channels. Accoustic Crossroads is my favorite channel. They play really different people.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile
OK, so I guess I'm the fuddy-duddy. Is it ok to admit that I pop a Bread CD in and just belt out Baby I'm A Want You? But then, I love Casting Crowns too as well as a hammer dulcimer instrumental of Celtic music that I throw in there. And I guess I can't forget my stepson's CD that is absolutely awesome - it'll be out pretty soon. But I doubt you know of him. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:04:44 PM  Show Profile
I love Skillet (Awake) and Flyleaf. I'm afraid as I get older the metal just gets louder.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  05:13:55 AM  Show Profile
@Kris--
I do know Otis--he's a fan of my apple pie, even told my longtime idol, folk singer, Billy Bragg about it when he toured with him in England. They're both very much pro-worker, pro human condition kind of folks with a bit of politics thrown in. Modern day Woody Guthrie's, if you will. I checked out his webpage (the link I gave you) and you can go to "store" and there are 2-3 cd's for sale that you can purchase right online. Joe Hill's Ashes is his newest and great, and Grandpa Walked a Picket Line is wonderful, and also available. His earlier discs are out of print, but if you'd like them, I can make you a copy of each. We even have some 3-4 song demo's that he sends out (prior to release) to shop songs that he's given us over the years.

@Rachel and Turtlemoon--when I met my husband, he was playing in a Pogues type band as the house band at a local Irish Pub called Jack Quinn's, a stop on the Sinn Fein route when visiting America. The band was rowdy and raucous and having also grown up on the Pogues, I immediately fell in love with a certain guitarist

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  4:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, Pogues, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys are Irish bands that play a mix of Irish folk/punk? I guess is how to describe it. I LOVE them...I love anything with killer fiddles though--which is one of the reasons I love Celtic folk and gypsy music so well.

Jonni--congrats to you and your guitarist ;)

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Edited by - rksmith on Jun 10 2011 4:16:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, that would be great! I would love them both. Just let me know and I will send you my address. Those other bands sound good too. I was wondering when you said Pogues type band what that was also and Rachel explained for me. Thanks, Rachel. I will ahve to check them out now also. I love good music.

Lucinda Williams is good too.

Mary Beth, I like Bread too, just so you know!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Travelin' Music Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page