Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Long Skinny Rhubarb Next Topic  

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  9:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
i am not sure what the deal is for a while this summer my rhubarb was nice and fat and not when i went to pick some all that is there is these really long skinny stalkes. is this just a new crop and i need to wait for them to fatten up or should i just use them like this? anyone have any ideas. Thanks

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  5:06:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm just not sure of rhubarb growth patterns - mine, even though they are only a year old, seem to have both fat and skinny stalks. I say go ahead and use them since they are long and skinny instead of short and skinny...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  5:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Mine start out fat and long to begin with also, then they get tall and skinny to, I figure they must need more water or fertilizer, Im giving them more water , but havent done the fertilizer thing yet.
someone must know about how to keep it big and fat. cause Ive seen it that way in the middle of the summer at farmers markets
shirley
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile
When did you plant the rhubarb? If it is a new planting maybe it was too soon to harvest, if it is an old planting it may need thinning.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html

quote:
Established clumps will have to be trimmed every 4 to 5 years or when the stalks get small and spindly or when the crown is visibly crowded. This will help the plant to keep growing nice thick stems. This is done by digging around and trimming the crown down to 4 or 5 buds. You can also use this opportunity to divide your plant into more plants. You may encounter is rot in the crowns from excessive water in the crown area. If so, destroy these plants.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  1:18:48 PM  Show Profile
They do not get fatter in my experience. I agree, mine started out all fat and then they all got skinny. I think this is how they evolve as the weather gets hotter. It has rained in the NE here for 3 months, so it is not how much water they get. I have also been told that skinny rhubarb is a sign that you need to divide them. I will do that this fall and see, but I still get some fat ones.
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
It is a plant that i got from my stepmom two years ago and did not harvest much last year because it was so new. it is doing great this year other that skinny stalks. I guess i will leave it be this year and maybe trimm it next year. tanks for the info everyone

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  7:32:47 PM  Show Profile
What would be considered the correct lighting conditions for rhubarb? My mom has some in VA that is not doing very well.... I check out the website, but I didn't see the light conditions.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2006 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile
I looked at the Burpee website and they recommend partial to full sun for the variety they carry.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Long Skinny Rhubarb Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page