Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:41:57 AM  Show Profile
My 8 yr old daughter purchased 4 ducks in early March, we are keeping them in our "empty" chicken pen. We are wondering if they are old enough to release them. we have a stream in our front yard that leads to a large wet land. Do you think they will survive, and be safe? i have no duck experience. They will however be where we can see them and hear any commotion.

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

May your bobbin always be full...

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, I had a small kids pool in the chicken yard for my ducks. I would have to change it every few days because, well, ducks are nasty and messy and would all get in and throw the water out with their wings. But they loved the pool. I don't know about just letting them out loose. They might not survive neighborhood dogs or wildlife very long. Maybe others have had experience with wide open spaces and ducks. I do know when we had lots of rain the bottom part of our pasture would be a pond and they loved it there. But it is fenced in too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris, I have a pool for them and they love it! My choc. Lab is used to the ducks and wont bother them, yes they are nasty and messy and are attracting flies! My front yard isn't fenced in, however the stream is tree lined and fenced on the outside.

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  10:38:44 AM  Show Profile
My mother told me recently that she had ducks when I was a baby... till they swam away down the creek never to be seen again! lol

If the ducks came from a feed store, they're to domesticated to survive if they answer the call of the wild, so you'd be well advised to fence them in somehow and provide safe water (that doesn't flow off property)

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Kelly:
We had big ducks, little ducks. Just beautiful. However, the lake alligators have eaten most of them. There are a few big ducks left, but I haven't seen the baby ducks in a while.
Enjoy your ducks!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Also, they should be EATING the flies.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile
Also, they should be EATING the flies.

Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  6:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, we tried to introduce the ducks to the water and natural habitat, when I came home from being gone for 2 hours, they were on their way back up towards the barn... I guess they will stay "pets" honestly not what I intended, I told My daughter when they were old enough we were going to have to release them.

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  7:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, I took my last 2 ducks to a friend's pond up the road from here. It's a pretty big pond and they loved it. He had made a little duck house and it floats on the pond. He also has a little fence so they won't go out on the road. It's a great place for ducks. So if you need to find a nice safe place for them, Im sure he would love to have some more.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  07:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I will keep that in mind.

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:08:00 AM  Show Profile
Be careful about setting domestic ducks free, #1 they do not do well regarding , knowing how to take care of themselves, and finding food, #2, here in my area, it is against the law...so many people turn loose their waterfowl in a local park with a pond, they had to start catching them and euthanizing them...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:24:22 AM  Show Profile
I'd call around to your neighbors and see if any of them want some "pond" ducks for their property. Back when my mom was a teacher and we hatched ducks, I wanted to keep a few, which was fine, until they got too big (We lived in the city). So, my mom found a farmer not too far away to take them for his pond. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile
Update: The ducks are doing great! they love the water, and have been nibbling everything in site! I check on them several times a day and they are in the water swimming or laying in the shade. Abby and I throw out bread and corn everynight. They seem happy to not be penned up. So... so for so good!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, sounds like ou have a good plan there. And they seem like some happy little ducks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  07:04:31 AM  Show Profile
We will have to keep our fingers crossed! But so far so good : )

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ducks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page