henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  11:20:40 AM  Show Profile
I am so blessed for all the zuchinni I'm getting from the garden so I made bread this am. I have been trying to cut back on refined sugar so I used the agave in its place. Yummo! Does anyone know where to find it at a cheaper price?

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:15:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by henlady35904

I am so blessed for all the zuchinni I'm getting from the garden so I made bread this am. I have been trying to cut back on refined sugar so I used the agave in its place. Yummo! Does anyone know where to find it at a cheaper price?

I don't know, but we do use it to make a limeade drink with real lime juice and rosemary. I have not tried a nature store yet, but that could be an idea.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  07:19:35 AM  Show Profile
Vitatcost
Here's a link
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=blue%20agave

Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile
I know our costco sells it in a double pack of bottles, organic as well for about 7$

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  09:59:46 AM  Show Profile
I use the Agave too, love it and use less in my tea and coffee than i would sugar. I buy it at Costco. I also found at Costco a bag of organic sugar- it's the color of raw sugar, has the same sugar content per serving as Agave and i just used it to make apricot/rhubarb jam- love it! I won't buy regular sugar anymore now that i can get these two products.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile
I buy mine at Costco also! And to be truthful I had a hard time adjusting to it. To me it is not as sweet. But that is the whole point right? I probably need better recipes to try it in.
But I do tell everyone about. I like it!
Tina Kay

Happy it is, indeed, for me that my heart is capable of feeling the same simple and innocent pleasure as the peasant whose table is covered with food of his own rearing, and who not only enjoys his meal, but remembers with delight the happy days and sunny mornings when he planted it, the soft evenings when he watered it, and the pleasure he experienced in watching it’s daily growth.

J.W. von Goethe (the Sorrows of Werther)

Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  4:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I'm going to Birmingham tmorrow for dr appt, will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  4:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Tina Kay, I bought a new bottle yesterday and it has the ratio of agave vs sugar- for baking, drinks etc. I will share if you're interested.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  5:47:33 PM  Show Profile
We sell it at the Health Food Store I work at but you can go to Frankford Farms (.com) and check out their price. We use it in place of sugar and honey on occation.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll
I had a really bad experience with the agave. I am a Type 1 diabetic and started using it. Then after about a week, I started getting pain in my upper abdomin. I quit using it and the pain went away. I have since learned that diabetics shouldn't use it because it harms your liver. They say it's great for diabetics. How can they claim that? Any suggestions?

Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, satan shudders and saya, "Oh no. She's awake".
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Funny thing, I've started seeing agave syrup in WalMart next to the corn syrup. My mom is type 2 diabetic and that makes me high risk so I've started cooking like a diabetic to baby my pancreas. I've bought milled flax seed, and soy flour from there, and they now sell generic splenda at a really good price-- I dont even buy sugar anymore.

Just powdered sugar and brown sugar to blend with splenda for recipes that call for it.

The one thing I have a hard time finding in quinoa. I have to go into the health food supermarket to find that, and restock on alternate flours like coconut and almond.

So far I've only used coconut flour as a half substitution for white flour. Its super dense and massive fiber. I tried some gluten free cookies made out of it when I first bought it and they were so tasty they gave people bellyaches from eating too many (3 cookies was too many).
I don't really like nuts that much so I didn't care for almond meal pancakes, although my hubby raved over them. I'd still like to find good ways to use almond meal and soy flour (hasn't been opened yet)

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Jen- I buy Quinoa at Costco, do you have one near you?

Donna- I have recently noticed pain in my upper abdomen also, but I have IBS, so I thought it was that, I will try not to use the Agave for a while to see if I notice any difference. Even though some things are "all natural" or claimed to be better for you- each person is different and reacts differently to different things, so Agave might work for Diabetes, but it doesn't mean each diabetic person's system will tollerate it.

I also buy the Organic sugar in bulk at Costco- so far i like that.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey chicks,
That is so weird!!! My friend is type 1 and he ate a couple pieces of the bread. Yesterday he c/o of his upper stomach hurting. He drank a quart of buttermilk. Lol. Will have to see if it is the agave. Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Blue Agave uses... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page