Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Book recommendation: The Joy of Hobby Farming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Book recommendation: The Joy of Hobby Farming Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  4:45:16 PM  Show Profile
I just received a fresh from the press copy of The Joy of Hobby Farming by Michael and Audrey Levatino for my birthday, and I really recommend it to anyone in the starting out stage of hobby farming like myself. The book takes you on the journey from natural foods enthusiast and farm fancier, to a small productive sustainable food producer, and even into the farmer's market industry.

The book walks you through what to expect on your hobby farm journey (from the perspective that you are at least beginning with an outside income source) including things you need to know about buying a farm (a lot of things I never considered!)maintaining your farm including fences, barns, water table and wood lot, a really good gardening chapter, and an introduction to the ins and outs of weekly markets.
Not the best chapter I've seen on animal care as the authors are vegetarians, but still good information about managing chickens and beef cattle.

A great read if you can pick it up through a book club or amazon, may still be too new for public libraries, but keep an eye out for it!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  7:18:18 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like a great read! Thanks for the suggestion!

Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  5:46:44 PM  Show Profile
I bought a copy of this for my lib at home! I have skimmed it and admit it is a keeper!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Book recommendation: The Joy of Hobby Farming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page