Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 High prices of washcloths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic High prices of washcloths Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:35:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm really tired of the high price of store bought washcloths! Has anyone ever made them and what type of material did you use? I'm considering taking a large regular towel and cutting it down to the size of washcloths and edge hemming the edges. If it works, I should be able to get 6-8 nice size washcloths. What do you ladies think?

Dogs never judge people, they only forgive!
www.kennelcreations.com

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Participate in a dishcloth exchange. The dishcloths I am getting are too lovely to scrub dishes with and much nicer washing my face.

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:46:22 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea but I don't crochet or knit since I don't like to. I do sew with fabric though. Thanks Debi.

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
I would think a nice sewn cloth would be a wonderful addition to anyones collection Tina.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  11:49:00 AM  Show Profile
I make mine with 100% cotton and crochet them with a simple dishcloth pattern. There are several free patterns on-line for them also.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  12:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Tina,

If you will send me your address.... I will be glad to send you a "dishcloth" to try out.... I knit them all of the time.

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for the ideas. But I really want something that I wouldn't need to knit or crochet. Please keep the ideas coming though.

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  3:59:09 PM  Show Profile
I have purchased terry cloth at the fabric store, $5.99 yard (sometimes you can find it on sale for less) cut to the size you want and serge or hem the edges.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile
frankly, I hate thick and plush washcloths, so I buy mine at WalMart (UGH) in a packet of like 9 or 12 for about 3 or 4 dollars. They are in with the kitchen wares. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  9:15:17 PM  Show Profile
I cut my granddaughter's no longer needed receiving blankets into squares the size of a paper towel and surged the edges to use instead of paper towels.
I agree Amanda. I have started using them as wash cloths too. I don't like big heavy thick towels either. I actually like towels to be a little rough too. Call me strange.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  06:24:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tinaberry

I have purchased terry cloth at the fabric store, $5.99 yard (sometimes you can find it on sale for less) cut to the size you want and serge or hem the edges.

Thanks for sharing this tip. Sometimes I find my crocheted ones are a bit too thick also.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile
I have read that you can purchase cotton knit sweaters from the thrift and cut into squares. Stitch seam binding around the edges. It was in a tightwad gazette I believe. It may just be easier to knit or crochet some. :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile

Tina, instead of cutting a terry towel into squares, first do rows of ziz-zag stitches on the towel marking off the squares, which will then be cutting lines. It will cut down on the flying fuzz and make it easier to add an overcast edging.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  12:22:09 PM  Show Profile
These are some really great ideas. I found some white terry cloth in my stash that I've had for some time and I think I might try the zig-zag stitches as well - Thanks Rosemary. I would need to double this terry cloth because it's not really as heavy as I would like but I might as well use it up. Does anyone think that cutting a towel down in size and serge the edges will work? Thanks everyone.

www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jun 05 2011 05:26:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  3:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I don't know why cutting down a towel wouldn't work. I'd say go for it.

I really, really would love to have a serger! sigh.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Try using a larger needle, that's what I do to knit washcloths so that aren't too thick.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  6:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda, thanks for the "thumbs up". I don't have a serger either but my machine has a stitch on it that acts like one and will do the job.

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, my mother never let anything waste. If a towel became too thin or showed wear, she would cut it down to squares and make wash cloths long before they went to the rag drawer. I think you have a great idea.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  11:31:53 PM  Show Profile
A couple months ago I took an old white towel we had...it had turned into the "spill towel" :( I kept soaking it with lemon juice in the wash water and getting the stains out and finally got tired of it...LOL!I also was tired of smelly sponges...Sooooo I cut it up and put 2 layers together and sewed them(zig zagging the edges together) They worked real well!
Now if I could just get everyone else(especially hubby) on board with using a dishcloth instead of the sponges(which I refuse to buy now)They just need to start hanging them over the faucet to dry instead of laying them in a bunch.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  11:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Great idea CJ! My husband has a terrible habit of letting the sponges sit in a sink full of water. They get waterlogged and are falling apart. Gross! I've gotten him on board with my other kooky ideas so this might work.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  10:40:43 AM  Show Profile
I was just searching online yesterday for any kind of pattern to make wash cloths. I came to the conclusion that wash cloths are either crotched or made in China. SO, I am going to try cutting out some terry cloth for one side and cotton for the other and just sewing that together. I am going to wingit. But cutting down old bath towels works too I had done that before my serger quit working. But there is a stitch on my sewing machine that kind of copies the serger stitch. After you make some please share your completed project.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic High prices of washcloths Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page