Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Thinking about designing a line of aprons..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Thinking about designing a line of aprons.. Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile
My favorite apron is unique. It is solid black cotton, and I made it without a pattern when I was 17. At the time I was heavily into civil war reenacting and (apart from the hurried machine sewn workmanship) it is an accurate impression of a house apron from 1863. A simple solid color appropriate for time or mourning, that doesn't show stains, in a color neutral enough to match anything.

To this day, it's still the best fitting apron I have. Based on that, I'm considering making some tweaks to its practicality to match my modern needs. In the mid 19th century they didn't have a shoulder or neck strap on aprons, I'll be adding it to my version. I'll also be putting in some pockets, maybe even quilt the skirt portion with heat resistant batting to pick up hot pots... maybe some period flavored embellishments like ribbon ruching, pleats, or decorative buttons to add some beauty to a flowy apron that was originally designed to go over a hooped skirt.

Is this 1. unique enough that I won't step on any toes and 2. intriguing enough that I may be able to sell some? I'm thinking of targeting the farmer's market crowd.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  5:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Sounds awesome to me - I'd love something like that to go with the period costumes I wear when we do farm shows and demonstrate antique farm equipment, spinning, weaving, etc. Hope it works out good for you!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  7:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Sounds really awesome! i love aprons and this sounds intriguing! Keep us posted on your plans... :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great plan! would love to see it!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  5:09:14 PM  Show Profile
alrighty! I'll get some prototypes going. I figure I can't go wrong making 3 or so. Even if I never sell a one I can gift them out!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  9:42:20 PM  Show Profile
That sounds lovely. I have always dreamed of having a black and white apron. I have one in the "need to finish" pile. It's not cheery. It has a raven and a silhouette of a tree. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I always loved the aprons they wore in Sense and Sensibility.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  09:49:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking at something based loosely off of this:

but not this This style is already quite common among historical-esque clothes sites.

Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  2:26:40 PM  Show Profile
looks wonderful!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  9:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Finished 2 trials. I did both with "heirloom quality" quilting cotton prints.

The first I tested out using pillow panels from a really pretty gold overlay tudor print with it's same dye lot coordinate print.

I did a fully lined and reversible 3 ways to wear it apron.
One side is a panel on the "bib" with the skirt done in print and a double pocket in the mid front of the skirt.

It can also be worn on this side as a half apron with the bib tucked underneath.

On the reverse side, the print is on the bib, and the panels make up the skirt.

I opted not to put a pocket on this side so I wouldn't obscure the scene.

I still have a set of material cut to make another one in this motif, but the next time I will set the bib differently so it looks more like the same on both sides.
When putting it together, I liked the full coverage of the full size panel bib, but finished, I think it will look more polished if I trim it to be narrower. Looks good as it is I think, that's just what I'd do differently next time. The weight is great! I feel like I could take a pan out of the oven with this one.
A success I think.

The next is my favorite. So perfect for 4th of july!!

This one is a fresh draft based on my original.
The bib is tied behind the neck with a white, gold edged sateen ribbon and embellished with a gathered pinwheel that resembles an exploding firework.

The skirt is 2 and 1/4 yards and offers full clothes coverage.

It's gathered into "cartridge pleats"--the traditional mid 19th century method.

I wanted to make sure none of the pleats or creases were marred by my machine, so I finished the waistband all by hand.

It still needs a pocket applique'ed to it in my opinion (I like to stash things), and I'm also thinking about concealing built in pot holders on the corners.

Anyway, first run! I'm happy with what I've got. I haven't done much sewing in a really long time, and now it's nice to have a reason to sew in inclimate weather, which in Phoenix is.. next month!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  9:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Finished 2 trials. I did both with "heirloom quality" quilting cotton prints.

The first I tested out using pillow panels from a really pretty gold overlay tudor print with it's same dye lot coordinate print.

I did a fully lined and reversible 3 ways to wear it apron.
One side is a panel on the "bib" with the skirt done in print and a double pocket in the mid front of the skirt.

It can also be worn on this side as a half apron with the bib tucked underneath.

On the reverse side, the print is on the bib, and the panels make up the skirt.

I opted not to put a pocket on this side so I wouldn't obscure the scene.

I still have a set of material cut to make another one in this motif, but the next time I will set the bib differently so it looks more like the same on both sides.
When putting it together, I liked the full coverage of the full size panel bib, but finished, I think it will look more polished if I trim it to be narrower. Looks good as it is I think, that's just what I'd do differently next time. The weight is great! I feel like I could take a pan out of the oven with this one.
A success I think.

The next is my favorite. So perfect for 4th of july!!

This one is a fresh draft based on my original.
The bib is tied behind the neck with a white, gold edged sateen ribbon and embellished with a gathered pinwheel that resembles an exploding firework.

The skirt is 2 and 1/4 yards and offers full clothes coverage.

It's gathered into "cartridge pleats"--the traditional mid 19th century method.

I wanted to make sure none of the pleats or creases were marred by my machine, so I finished the waistband all by hand.

It still needs a pocket applique'ed to it in my opinion (I like to stash things), and I'm also thinking about concealing built in pot holders on the corners.

Anyway, first run! I'm happy with what I've got. I haven't done much sewing in a really long time, and now it's nice to have a reason to sew in inclimate weather, which in Phoenix is.. next month!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  9:43:25 PM  Show Profile
http://imageshack.us/g/6/apronsgarden002.jpg/

Pictures didn't work in original post, but here is a link to the album.

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Very nice Jen! I like the 4th of July one best too! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  11:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I cant go back and edit my posts >_<

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  07:27:00 AM  Show Profile
I like the 4th of July one too.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:53:49 AM  Show Profile
I love those rosettes you made on the straps! SO CUTE!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Thinking about designing a line of aprons.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page