Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  11:25:32 PM  Show Profile
We got Nigel a new fish tank since he has been working hard at eating new foods. Its a 10 gallon tank and has 6 goldfish. How much do you feed them and how frequently. ALso any other tips would be helpful, please! Thank-you!

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  04:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Robin -

Only feed them what they will gobble up immediately - if food is sinking to the bottom uneaten, you are feeding too much. Once or twice a day should be enough. Also, overfeeding causes the water to get cloudy because uneaten food is decomposing on the bottom. You might also think about adding a "bottom feeder" fish like a catfish or pleco because they clean up the excess.

The water should be cleaned/changed frequently but don't remove all of the "old" water - leave a little as a starter. If your tap water has chlorine, fluoride, etc. let it sit for a couple of days in a container before you put it in the tank.

Hope this helps!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  05:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Same advice as Beekeepersgirl. I had a 10 gallon tank with goldfish up until March. The goldfish GREW! We had to put them outside in our "pond." At one time I had gotten a plecostamis(sp?) to eat the algae and help keep the tank clean but the goldfish ate him! I usually fed them once in the morning and once in the evening.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest snails as a tank cleaner. Their numbers will rise and fall with the amount of food available. While goldfish are okay without a tank heater I would recommend one and you should have a good filter. Goldfish are "dirty" fish. They produce a lot of waste and it can really dirty the tank. You should also be putting some aquarium salt in the water. If you keep your tank properly salted you should not have any disease. Even freshwater fish like bettas and goldfish need salt in the water. I have always used about 1 teaspoon per gallon of non-iodized salt.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  08:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. The pet store lady told us to wait a few months to get a plecos because there wouldnt be enough algae in a new tank?
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee is right, a small bit of salt always helps. There is always a bit of orange *yuck* that will build up over time on the walls of the tank. The snails, ghost shrimp, or those "sucker" fish help, but about once a month, I always siphon the water out to about 1/3 left. The ph in the remaining water is ideal for the fish. As the water siphons out, stir the rock you have on the bottom. I take the artificial plants out and wash them too. you will need to get a rag, when you start the siphon, and use the water to clean the inside walls, and pay close attention to the corners and seams. The first time I did this, I didn't think about the corners, and boy did it make the missed spots stand out!!! LOL! An old neighbor had a fish store, and had a 3000gal tank of sharks in his livingroom, so that's where I learned.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Salt for goldfish too? like how much in a 10 gallon tank?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can use as much as 10 teaspoons. It helps keep the right electrolyte balance in the water. In nature, most soils do have some naturally occuring sodium which is often removed by our water systesm or water filters. It also prevents bacterial growth such as Ick and Fin Rot.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  9:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Its actually a 20 gallon tank. Not 10. I will put some salt in. Do I dissolve the alt first then add or just dump it. I would think the fish might eat it.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would dissolve it in the water you add to the tank during your next 50/50 water change which should be done every couple of weeks.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts