sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  4:57:35 PM  Show Profile
well we called unemployment to find out if we qualified for the extended benefits. the man proceded to tell us an error was made. we owe them 14,000 dollars. yes dollars. so goodie. we have a benefit amount 198.00 a week. so in a few yrs we could maybe get it paid. so as of this second we have NO income past my 550.00 for disability. they are going to give us credit for the weeks we qualify for unemploy. benefits. so no money from our benefits. they get to keep it. even though it is their mistake. i am sad. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  5:03:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh My Gosh - Sherrye that is just mind blowing... I am so sorry for this - I know that you have been working hard to keep that head up and deal with life but this is a low blow. I am sending all the prayers and good thoughts I can and just know that I am hugging you like the Momma Bear that I am. I wished you where closer because I would be right over and we would roll up our sleeves and sharpen our pencils to come up with a plan.

It just seems like everyone including me are dealing with financial issues and at times it seems as if we can't catch a break. As I said to myself today - I know that there is a reason for all this and I am will to do whatever it takes to learn the lesson quickly and move towards my higher good.

Let me know what we can do or just know you are loved, hugged and prayed for.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6672 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6672 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  5:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I am so, so sorry, I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
I too wish there was something I could do for you and your family. But, know you have farmgirls that care and are sending lots of hugs to you.
Farmgirl ((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  5:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh that stinks. My unemployment ust ended, so I know how hard it is. ((((hugs))))

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile
I cannot imagine how hard this is for you and your family! Is there ANY way this can be amended??? These are harsh economic times...ugh! Did just pray for you for wisdom and such! Wish I has more answers!!

Married to my High School sweetie for 22+ years. Stay at home mom to the amazing 4--Megs (19), Ryan(17), Josh (14), Zack (13). A born and raised Brooklyn, NY chickie girl that has been trying to figure out this country thing in PA for the past dozen years!
"The thing about family disasters is that you never have to wait long before the next one puts the previous one into perspective." ~Robert Brault
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile
well thanks girls, we are trying to get creative. what i dont understand is ...if its their error? how can they take all our money? maybe a low pymt? but all our unemployment till the dollars are credited back seems way wrong. its our only means of money right now. it is something we qualify for. we paid into it. it was their error. so we will contest it. time will tell. papa told me to buck up. so yes grace i need to crunch numbers and write lists and figure out more ways to generate income. i think i have a girl who comes here that will help. her and husband do farmers market on friday. so we are putting our marketable stuff there. i am scared straight. i keep trying to remember my perspective. this is dirt and money stuff. this is not loved ones being lost. so i am going to keep my cup more than half full. so i am open to ideas. i know apple jelly is in our future. as is other foods. a friend just gave us a bred sow and a boar. the sow is bred. she is said to be huge. i am a little concerned. but if it doesnot work we will eat her. i have been given some challenges and some gifts. so i am going to do what is ahead of me and breath. i wish you were closer grace. i would love that hug. i went to my friend and cried on her shoulder. she said i had to fight it. so i will go see seniors and disabilities tomorrow also. so thanks so much girls. i will let you know how it goes. so i am applying for food stamps tomorrow too. probably need an appointment and proof of claim denial. so one foot then the next foot. thanks again girls sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye - I know what it is like when you are trying to deal with agencies and they make the mistake and still you get screwed. A couple years back the IRS took me for $36,000.00 because of an error they made - they charged me interest, penaltizes and then tried to freeze all my accounts - I luckly have a background in law and so I went on the war path. Believe you me I was so scared but I was not going to take this and let them win - they do such fear stuff that most fold.
The farmers market sounds like a good start. Are there other things that you can make for the markets?? With the land you is there a way to rent part of it out or take in care for animals. Are there skills that you are really good at that maybe you can place ads out for? I know I am having to think outside the box right now too. I have even been considering that if the money situation does not get better I might have to sell the farm - hate to even thinK of that but when folks are folding all around me and my customers are folding too a person just has to find new things.... I will be here for you however I can and I hope you feel my arms around you... I will not squeeze too hard but just a little so you know I love and care for you very much... Love and Light to You sweet one.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:24:43 PM  Show Profile
But for the grace of god any one of us could be in your place. I'm sending prayers and love your way. We are struggling with keeping our business open in these hard times and have had to make many sacrifices and lifestyle changes. We are at the not much else can give place ourselves. So I can relate Sherry. I have started calling the situation the "New normal" so I'll quit looking back at the way things were. : )
I also know that nothing stays the same in this old world. What seemed like the worst that could happen 10 or even 5 years ago is long over and a distant memory and I made it just fine. This will be the same in 5 or 10 years.
I'll pull for you!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherry- did they say what the error was? Maybe you could ask for them to re-audit the records?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I just saw this. I am so sorry. I have no ideas but I am sending you a great big hug and some prayers. Oh, I will buy some soap from you. She makes the best sudsy soap.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  8:06:43 PM  Show Profile
thanks so much farmgirl sisters. i feel the love all around me. alee the error was we qualified for a newer claim. instead they gave us extensions on an older claim at a higher amount. i would never have known we qualified for a new one. thats their job. i reported all earnings. so they made the error. it equals 382.00 dollars for 28 weeks. that includes deducting the new claim amount of 198.00 a week or there abouts. so if they keep it all it would take 1 1/2 yrs at least to pay it back. their mistake. the internet says do not call or come to unemployment ofc. we are too busy. so we have to hang and wait. thanks kris. i am making soap tomorrow with my new friend and helper. her name is crash. i mean not a nick name her name is crash. so thanks you all for the support. grace i will bring my cows and we can farm together. you do fiber i will milk cows. i love farming. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  8:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye- I am so sorry to be reading all of this. I must say though, your positive attitude is going to pull you through this. As you said it is paper and dirt- not a loved one...somehow you will find a way to make ends meet and make it through this. I am sending you hugs and prayers that it works out. DO pay attention to what they tell you and DONT let them walk all over you. If I were you I would fight it so that they take the least amount possible each week/month. Who care if it takes 20 years to pay them back- it was their mistake and they must realize that they can NOT just stop your payments completely which you rely on for day to day living. There must be a law against that. Talk to everyone you know and try and get advice! You never know who has been in this situation etc and may be able to help you resolve this amicably. Good luck to you- I know you will be okay.
Farmgirl Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  9:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sherrye, I'm sorry to read this so late. How awful. Oh I'm so mad for you. Their mistake, now you catch the repercussions. I'm so proud of your Outlook, and your quick planning, and stick-to-it-iveness! You will pull through. Praying a simple game plan all falls so easily into place for you. Tons of hugs!!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  9:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye - I went numb as I read your words. How on earth do they make a mistake like that - when it is their job to know the laws, the programs and the claim qualifications - and then come back to hit you up full throttle, penalizing you for their mistake? That is soooo wrong, and seems like such a severe way to resolve this situation! Are you able to see an attorney about this at all? I know here where we live there is a lawyer referral service where each participating lawyer offers so many hours of service on a pro bono basis. You call, they give you a few names, and before you know it, you have free representation. There has to be some other, better way to fix this horrible mistake. I think it is absolutely horrifying that they can do something like this to you while you are already suffering so much financially. Even if you must pay them back, how can they justify taking every penny of what little they are supposed to be currently giving you, and leave you with nothing? The system is supposed to protect people from suffering severely - not make it worse! Surely they can work something out so that they take a little bit from you each period - or maybe that they can take payments from future tax return refunds until they are paid off or SOMETHING. This is so outrageous. I just feel so bad for you. Like Laurie said: so WHAT if it takes you 20 years to pay them back - it was THEIR mistake!! I am going to pray for you, and I really hope you can obtain pro bono legal help with this. It's just so wrong. BIG hugs to you, and lots of prayers. Try to stay strong, okay? There has to be a silver lining here somewhere. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  10:35:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye - I think something is up with Oregon in particular as another friend of mine was receiving benefits and she was just informed that she was overpaid and owed them money too!!! She lives in Portland. I think they said she owed $16,000 or some such crazy amount. She lives on disability too. I am so sorry this is happening. I think Oregon has had some major accounting issues that someone should look into. A little weird that I know of two people in the same boat at the same time.....I'm not big on coincidences - Perhaps you should investigate just how many folks are in the same boat at the same time???? Sounds a little strange as the amounts are so high. Just a thought.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  05:41:01 AM  Show Profile
sheri, i think you are right. i think oregon has some problems. i will check into this for sure. i feel sick today from the shock and stress. i will get to seniors and disabilities for sure today. its raining a lot today. i wish the sun was out. thanks for all your support girls. it means a lot to me. hanging in there sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherry- Keep looking at this from all angles! Perhaps you could continue to get the adjusted payment and they could just take tax refunds? I don't know. I do think that you should try to find someone local to speak with that would do some Pro Bono law work on your behalf to see if there is anything you can do. I would also try to speak with a supervisor or write you senator. Infact, I would try really hard to get in touch with your senators and explain the situation, perhaps they can do something to help. Write the govenor! I would start getting the story out about this because not only did they make the mistake and directed you not to contact them- you probably aren't the only one that this is happening to!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic need hugs and ideas - Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page