LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile
What do you use Duck eggs for? I have made a cake and frosting with them but do you have any good ideas on what else to make with them. Or anyway to use them?

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  2:51:51 PM  Show Profile
they make great omletts and scrambled eggs, pancakes,just remember they are usually larger than chicken eggs, and way richer...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  4:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tina I wasnt sure if I could do the omlett thing or not I will give it a try

Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  5:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Pound cake, custard and lemon curd (the yolks) I love ducks and haven't had any for about 9 years until now..my 8 are 3 weeks old...just blogged about them today.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  7:40:43 PM  Show Profile
You can use them just like you use chicken eggs, the flavor is just richer. I guesstimate that 1 large duck egg = 2 medium chicken eggs.

Duck eggs are supposedly the superior egg for people with diabetes and autism (can't remember why at the moment)but I'm planning to raise egg ducks instead of chickens for a sell-able egg crop. Too much competition for farm fresh chicken eggs around but the duck egg market is untapped. French style cooking favors duck eggs too!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile
love our duck eggs, we have 20'ish ducks, about the same in chickens maybe more. goats, children(boys3), and a dog...

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  4:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. Looks like I am doing some baking tomorrow. Jen-Duck eggs around here go for 5.00 a dozen. Makes good sense to sell them if you can.

Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  5:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I need some seed money to get going and buy ducklings and put together a fence :( I just found out there's a farmers market that targets to the more pretentious hobby chef crowd (translation, too much money, too much time!) that would be a perfect venue for duck eggs.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  05:17:50 AM  Show Profile
when we had ducks we used the eggs for anything we'd use chicken eggs for. I LOVED the duck eggs and they were SO much bigger!
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -My handcrafted Bath & Body Product line

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/farmgirl-crafting-group/ - A group for all farmgirls wanting to share their craft. Many resources and how-to's included in this group.

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Nature Maiden Blog- http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/

Edited by - naturemaiden on Jun 04 2011 05:18:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  7:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Traditionally Duck Eggs were used for baking (especially in French cooking) as they have a higher protein and fat level than chicken eggs, hence their richer flavor. However, that said, we use them just like we use chicken eggs.

Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Duck Eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page