Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 using sunflowers as decoy plant for stinkbugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic using sunflowers as decoy plant for stinkbugs Next Topic  

free bird
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laura
Victoria Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  4:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi all--I just thought of something I tried to help keep the stinkbugs away from my tomatoes a couple years ago. Here in south Texas, stinkbugs seem to be the bane of all tomato growers. This decoy crop trick did seem to help me, so I thought I'd see if any of you wanted to give it a try.

As I set out the tomato transplants, I planted sunflowers adjacent--not right next to them, but right across a few feet from them--one sunflower per every 4 or 5 or so tomato plants. (I planted 2 or 3 seeds per spot, to end up with one sunflower plant per spot after thinning.) I didn't use the big sunflower with the huge head, instead I used the tall variety "Evening Sun"--a lovely sunflower with multiple 5-inch flowers in all shades of red, gold, brown. Sunflowers grow fast, and right about the time that the sunflower plants began to get tall, before their first blooms opened--and long before the adjacent tomato fruits were of any size to attract stinkbugs--the stinkbugs decided to make their assault on the tall juicy sunflower plants.

Stinkbugs just love the thick sunflower stems and leaves. They especially love to lay their eggs on underside of the biggest sunflower leaves, out of sight. But I was sneaky, because I knew to look for them right there. Sure enough I discovered lots of big flat sheets of stinkbug eggs (and sometimes hundreds of tiny hatchlings near them on the sunflower leaf) and it was a simple matter to get a pail of water and cut off the affected sunflower leaves and throw them, along with the new baby stinkbug colonies, into the water and do away with them before they ever set their feet on any of the nearby tomato plants.

Since "Evening Sun" sunflowers are so pretty might not hurt to give this a try. To make sure you have tall sunflowers to attract the stinkbugs before ripening tomatoes, you might want to plant the sunflowers just a tad earlier than the tomatoes to give them a head start.

I love my chickens

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2005 :  07:18:55 AM  Show Profile
Here in Kansas we don't have the stinkbugs bothering tomatoes. It is usually leafwilt and fungus... I do think that we have stinkbugs eating our squash and melons and pumpkins because they lay on the ground oftentimes. We call them squash beetles. They emit a bad odor when stepped on... I cannot stand them!!! I always battle them when trying to grow pumpkins, which they love.... Sunflowers grow well here so I will try your idea freebird...thanks. Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic using sunflowers as decoy plant for stinkbugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page