True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  6:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone else seen this show?

On one hand it blows me away and I am really tempted to throw myself into couponing with gusto- but on the other hand it looks like a lot of what is bought is processed food and we don't eat a lot of that in our house and now with my new sensitivity to chemicals I can't imagine stocking our cupboards with it.

What do you ladies think?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Alee, my sentiments exactly..I have started to look at coupons, but so far, the only ones I am clipping are for condiments, batteries & razors
I do not eat processed foods..period.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  8:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I'm a little addicted to this show... But like you and Lisa, I agree that most of the foods they purchase are not very healthy, and it seems to consume their lives. They all say they do it for their family, but what time do they spend with family when they're always clipping coupons! I do think that it's cool when they have overages and they can then buy their produce, meat, etc. with that, but otherwise, it's all junk food!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  9:23:07 PM  Show Profile
I finally watched it on the tivo today.... It sounds good in theory, but like most of you, I just don't buy that much processed food anymore.

I had to whip up a thing of Mayo today because we ran out and I wanted tuna for lunch. We decided last year that we would no longer buy canned veges, so I bottle everything we use. That cut down our food budget right there!

I plan to try a little harder to watch for coupons, but I already buy in bulk and do the sales. Besides, none of our local grocery stores offer double coupon day that I know of. It's interesting, but I think I'd rather spend that 40+ hours a week sewing, gardening, or being with family. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  9:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad I am not the only one! I mean- it's a great concept and I think it is great for the people who can work the system and make it work for them. Maybe if I can get my hands on some organic coupons! ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  06:49:13 AM  Show Profile
I agree. I stopped using coupons many years ago, we do not eat many processed foods and when was the last time you saw a coupon for organic apples? I do not watch the show because we only have what is available on anntena tv, but I have heard about it. If people would put that much effort into growing and preparing their own food we would be a much healthier nation!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  6:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I look at the coupon section in our Sunday newspaper and I really don't find much to use them on. My husband always wonders why you never see fruits and veggies listed on the coupons or things that really are good for you to eat and like Alee stated not processed?

I eat some bad things but not many. I'm waiting for our farmers market to start back up this summer.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile
This shows woman saving tons of money but they spend a huge amount of time looking for coupons for items that are not .... shall I say real food ! I have always used coupons but never to the extreme. I buy household and personal items with coupons but it is more difficult when it comes to food. We just don't eat processed food stuff. Although I can find and do use coupons for things like Kashi, Muir Glenn, ect. There are plenty of organic coupons out there. And my extended food pantry looks pretty good between the garden produce and the store bought ... but I would rather spend my energy on my family, garden, sewing or reading.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  07:53:27 AM  Show Profile
I agree. But I do use coupons for shampoo, razors, etc. I combine the coupons with the CVS/Walgreens extra bucks/register rewards program and thus get them almost free. That leaves me more money to buy the type of groceries we like.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Extreme Couponing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page