Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I need some cheerleading please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I need some cheerleading please! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been out for just one week and have missed 3 classes for my Accounting class. I emailed the teacher telling him I expected to be back in class by next week and could we schedule some make up time. He replied that I should really consider dropping the class! I am blown away! I am out on a medical issue and he is suggesting I drop the class!

Now I know it is a condensed summer version of a full semester class. That's okay- I actually like the condensed classes. But all night I tossed and turned trying to figure out what I should do.

So I am going to do a quick pick up around the house to try and get myself stimulated and then hit the books- but inside I feel all...unresolved. Now I am have this doubt in the back of my head. One half of me thinks the professor is right- that I have missed a lot of teaching and it will be hard to catch up.

The other half of me wants me to just do it and try to get through it the best I can... I am pretty much torn down the middle.

So please share your thoughts and ideas- and any cheerleading would be helpful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Ouch! Well, he is the teacher and he probably knows that it will take alot of work to get caught back up again. But he should also understand what you have just been through too and try to work with you to get back to where you need to be. I think this is something you and he need to talk about. I hope you can come to some kind of agreement soon. I'll be rooting for you either way, Alee!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SarAvery
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sara
West Stockbridge MA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:28:55 AM  Show Profile
Your professor is right- you have missed a lot. But LISTEN to that other side of you that wants to put in the effort and do your best! You won't be happy if you don't give yourself the chance to try and you just drop the course.
YOU CAN DO IT!!
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,
what a hard time for you. Being physically challenged in any way is so hard! I have MS and have had to change my entire life to fit around that pain in the ass disease.

If you feel well enough to do the work, then just sit the man down and say, look, this was the situation, this is what I can do, this is what I will do. It sounds like you're a really strong person. Hang in there. Being in between decisions is harder than the time the decision is made, even if you hate the choice.
Sorry, I'm not more help.

Kathie

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile
is this an onground? or online?

i have to agree with kathleenshoop- tell him wher ethe bear poos in the buckwheat-and then do it!!!

alee- use your GUT feeling about this....hugs!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  1:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee~ Get hold of the dean of students and be armed with a dr.'s note. They have to accomodate you somehow if you are willing to put the time and effort into it. Listen to your heart - if you think you can do it - then do it - advocate for yourself!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Alee, is there a possibility of finding a tutor OR another student in the class who really knows his/her stuff who might be willing to study with you to help you catch up? If you've missed three classes in accounting, yes, it can be difficult to grasp, but if someone is willing to help you, you might be able to catch up. The only concern I have is that it is a CONDENSED class, which means a lot is really crammed into those classes. If you miss one step in accounting or have difficulty grasping a concept, you really shouldn't move forward until you know what you're doing. I'm sure that's what your professor's concern is. (I have an Associates in Accounting...) I wouldn't try to rush through it - it can be pretty technical. If you want, please email me. Maybe I can help you a little. Or maybe once I see where you're at with your classes, maybe I can help you better discern what you should do. Hang in there! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  6:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone-

Nini- Yes- I know exactly where you are coming from. I am in my junior/senior year of my degree in accounting and this is the third tier of Intermediate accounting. We are starting to get into CPA prep and such. I am still not feeling great and not up to putting in a huge amount of study time so I am thinking of dropping th course contingent on my dean letting me taking it along side another course which it is a a prereq for in the fall.

We'll see how it goes. I am going to give myself over the weekend to try to catch up and see how I feel about the class and I need to talk with me dean too. :) I wasn't expecting for the surgery to get me down. I had planned on doing homework all this time and mostly I have been sleeping a lot- unable to stay awake from the medicine.

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you ladies!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I didn't realize you were that far along! LOL! DUH!!! That's so great, Alee! I'm excited for you, and do understand your desire to finish and get on with your career! I know it's hard. Just follow your heart - you know what works best for you! :) My personal goal has always been to take my time and get it right the first time - that way, I don't have to do it more than once. I was always one of those "lock me away and don't come looking for me 'til I'm done studying," kind of students. My husband is the exact opposite - reads something once, and he's got it down pat. Drove me cuckoo whenever we took a class together! LOL! Whatever you decide, know I'm praying AND cheering for you! :) I KNOW you can do this - you GO, girl! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Nini!!

Yes- I don't want to have to do this class again. I have been doing really well and want to keep that up. I am just so tired :( We'll see. I'll let you know what I decide!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  9:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Hugs to you Alee.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  10:37:34 AM  Show Profile
rah rah sis boom bah. that is my cheerleading...drop the class you will feel better. I have been there and dropping the class in a suumer class that you have missed 3 times is the right thing to do...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  10:50:51 AM  Show Profile
How are things going with it this week Alee?

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  11:25:47 AM  Show Profile
I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Alee and know that life will unfold in the correct order. I am so sorry that your professor is not very supportive but know that we are there behind you at all times and want your highest good to be in front of you.
Hugs from this gal to you...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies! I did decide to drop the class as I can take it in the fall and still keep all my registered classes. :) I think it was the right decision so I can just concentrate on getting better.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  1:44:18 PM  Show Profile
I just saw this post and was going to say "drop the course", so I'm so glad you did. Summer classes are so hard (winter accounting classes are so hard too.)and concentrating on getting well seems to be the first priority. You can hear that you are a good student and determined and will get thru this once your are well. Sure hope you are feeling better soon. Big, gentle hugs, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  6:35:09 PM  Show Profile
A wise decision. Your GPA will thank you for it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Alee. I just saw this post too, cuz Joey "re-bumped"it. Thanks Joey! I'm sorry the less are making you so sleepy. I think you did the right thing. Now you can re-coop, and tackle the class going at "Alee 100%". Then you will blow them all away. Still cheering, and praying for you. Feel better, enjoy Nora and Tala(sp?) and your DH. Refresh, recharge, and relax, then hit Fall courses at a run!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  9:45:28 PM  Show Profile
I just know you're going to knock that class out of the park next semester, Alee! I'm so glad you're giving yourself time to get better - hopefully this decision will help you get the rest you need! Be healthy, my friend! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  05:45:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I have been out for just one week and have missed 3 classes for my Accounting class. I emailed the teacher telling him I expected to be back in class by next week and could we schedule some make up time. He replied that I should really consider dropping the class! I am blown away! I am out on a medical issue and he is suggesting I drop the class!

Now I know it is a condensed summer version of a full semester class. That's okay- I actually like the condensed classes. But all night I tossed and turned trying to figure out what I should do.

So I am going to do a quick pick up around the house to try and get myself stimulated and then hit the books- but inside I feel all...unresolved. Now I am have this doubt in the back of my head. One half of me thinks the professor is right- that I have missed a lot of teaching and it will be hard to catch up.

The other half of me wants me to just do it and try to get through it the best I can... I am pretty much torn down the middle.

So please share your thoughts and ideas- and any cheerleading would be helpful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Unfortunately, that is how most professors are. They are sticklers to their work and work only. I was taking classes from our university on-line, just before my mother's heart surgery (the first one), and eventually dropped the goverment class. I could not concentrate on the class to pass it. The on-line ones are harder than taking the classes themselves.

Hoping all goes well with you and your class.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Alee! I just got in on this. It doesn't matter what the decision - just that it's the right one for you. Girl, I have a lot of faith in you -- after all, you ARE a farmgirl! I hope you're feeling better. Take care, and if I can do anything from down here in the South, just let me know!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone! Actually I love the online classes because I can work on them at my own pace instead of being tied down to a "class time". But I do see the advantage to in-class sessions as well.

Julie- I am feeling a lot better but still have some healing to do. I have to return to work next week :( I wish I could keep staying at home. Maybe someday I will have my own CPA firm based off my ranch!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee, so glad you made the decision to pull back until you're as healthy as you can be! Hope all is well.

Kathie
http://www.amazon.com/Winner--Best-Regional-Fiction-Midwest-ebook/dp/B004XR50K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307026524&sr=8-3

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I need some cheerleading please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page