Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Raising rabbits lands family outlandish fee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Raising rabbits lands family outlandish fee Next Topic  

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, it seems even raising rabbits can land residents in hot water!
Go to http://www.naturalnews.com/032476_rabbits_USDA.html to view the whole story.

Utterly ridiculous!!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile
That is just unreal... - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile
This is the exact reason I refused to sell jelly to a guy who came to our little farmers market. He was lookin to use it in his restaraunt. I understand havin locally made products and homemade products at local eateries is good for business, but I want absolutely nothing to do with business!

I am only doin things like that as a hobby and to cover my gardenin expenses. I can do that from a roadside stand where I can tell anyone askin for things like that, 'I can't. I have a limited quantity on hand and no time to make larger amounts. I would be willing to sell you my recipe and teach you to make it exactly as I do. What you do with your knowledge and recipe is your business.'

If I could find a way to keep the government out of it, I would do it. I just don't see how it can be done without stayin out of actual business and keepin things small, cash, contract free, under the table, and out of all advertising. Word of mouth works well enough for me.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  7:29:26 PM  Show Profile
This makes me think of that movie V for Vendetta and the quote:"People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Hopefully they've gotten in touch with a legal watchdog group that will get them through this, because this case is garbage.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  11:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Angela, but that thinking may not save you. The USDA and FDA are coming down hard on all sorts of small farms, managing to even find those under the radar, as was an example of the upcoming movie "Farmageddon": where a woman who raised sheep was reported by her NEIGHBORs who knew she just imported sheep from New Zealand. While she had ALL the legal paperwork, the USDA actually came in and destroyed the sheep over MAD COW DISEASE, which sheep don't contract, by the way.

I think all small farms should be afraid, be very afraid. Check out the movie here:

http://vimeo.com/16513455

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  11:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it is crazy what the government is doing these days when it comes to farms and our food. I think all animals should be raised humanely- and it sounds like these people were raising the animals perfectly fine. Let's take on the huge factory farms where the conditions are wretched before we start casting stones at small family businesses. I hope this family finds an awesome lawyer that will do pro bono work and I hope they get some sort of restitution! What craziness!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile
Huh! Well THAT explains why no more Alpacas are allowed to be imported.

quote:
Originally posted by Farmtopia

Sorry Angela, but that thinking may not save you. The USDA and FDA are coming down hard on all sorts of small farms, managing to even find those under the radar, as was an example of the upcoming movie "Farmageddon": where a woman who raised sheep was reported by her NEIGHBORs who knew she just imported sheep from New Zealand. While she had ALL the legal paperwork, the USDA actually came in and destroyed the sheep over MAD COW DISEASE, which sheep don't contract, by the way.

I think all small farms should be afraid, be very afraid. Check out the movie here:

http://vimeo.com/16513455

View My Work:

N

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  7:21:11 PM  Show Profile
The problem here is that BIG FARMING CORPORATIONS (the ones who seem to do the most dastardly things to animals and plants: Can we say "Tyson" and "Monsanto") OWN the government AND media. They have basically bought out the politicians and judges so that whatever LAWS they can wrangle WILL BE wrangled. Such as the new law where these god-forsaken factory farms CAN prosecute you for coming into their "Closed door" operations! What the heck? Why should honest people close the door on honest farming? It just makes my blood boil, and I don't technically have a farm!

View My Work:

N
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  7:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It will be interesting to see how this case fares. I hope they get the fine overturned. I can only imagine it feels like a nightmare for this poor family.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing that link Zan. It is so shameful the way these big corps are dictating and the government is just at their disposal to eliminate those of us who want to grow and provide pure, true, natural and healthy food.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:02:39 PM  Show Profile
I think it will be up to the citizens to change the laws of government of this country. I think gov't has gotten too big and too full of itself to think it can be stopped, unfortunately

View My Work:

N
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is another article about this and the last couple paragraphs are updated:
http://dailycaller.com/2011/05/24/usda-fines-missouri-family-90k-for-selling-a-few-rabbits-without-a-license/

It looks like they have a lawyer on their side and their Senators! That is good! Hopefully they will get some good support in this and the USDA can be made "an example of"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  4:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Alee, for posting an update. I think there are a lot of prayers out there for these folks. Something has to be done about this and future atrocities as this. Small farms need the chance to succeed without fearing every step they make.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I know where I live, if you are caught selling homemade or raised ANYTHING, you better be licensed and inspected, or you are in major trouble,big fines and they will take anything they think you might be selling, jams/jelly, eggs/chickens, cheese/milk, etc, etc, etc...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  09:50:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Farmtopia

the USDA actually came in and destroyed the sheep over MAD COW DISEASE, which sheep don't contract, by the way.

While I agree that the case you mention is wrong and stupid especially since all the sheep had health certificates and (I presume?) tested negative, I feel I should point out that the virus that causes Mad cow (CJV- Cretsfeld ((sp?)) Jacobs Virus)is multi species, hence the danger to humans.
Furthermore, it is in the books that it traced originally to sheep, then jumped to cows, and spreads to any creature that eats infected organ meats of any origin. Disgusting and wrong, yet true of a lot of cheap commercial animal feed.
Yet another reason why grass fed = better.

Funny thing is, that this is the ONLY thing I remember clearly from my high school physiology class!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Raising rabbits lands family outlandish fee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page