walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  06:18:58 AM  Show Profile
So, I know that many of you cloth diaper, but I just wanted to offer assistance. I cloth diaper, and have since the beginning with my DD. All the different websites and language can really be confusing, so I'd love to help any farmgirls with the decision to go with cloth diapering! Cloth diapering has evolved SO MUCH in the last 10 years! Over the two-three years a child is in diapers, if you use disposables you'll spend from 2,000-3,000 on disposables! I bought 24 one size all in ones and I'll never have to buy another diaper again. I love cloth diapering! If you'd like more info feel free to email me. I can help you find a system that works for your family!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  06:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree! Cloth diapering is amazing. And we actually calculated thebyearly cost of disposables (haha) to be about 2 grand so depending on how long your child is in diapers- you could save even more than you expect. We also did reusable wipes about 90% of the time and I made my own baby lotion. Nora never wore pull ups and was completely potty trained including nights by her third birthday.

I made most of our diapers but Theravada some amazing companies out there that make excellent kits. I almost wish that more children were an option forbid as I miss cuddling that nice clean baby after a diaper change. They are always so cuddly. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  8:01:08 PM  Show Profile
I went old school with the prefolds and pins and rubber pants. That way I can use the diapers for other things when we're done with them for butt covers!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  07:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angela- I did a mixture of everything and we use the flat folds still today too! They worked really well as an infant. Also the diaper covers they have these days are remarkable!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  04:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Those diaper covers are SO much better than those plastic pants! When I was diapering my daughter in them, I kept thinking "This cannot be comfortable." My personal motto is "Would you wear paper underwear? If not, then why should your kids?" And I felt the same way about those plastic pants. The covers that Everything Birth has are SO MUCH NICER. If you all need some, let me know, I can get you a discount!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  7:25:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm starting to look at diapers now. I was hoping to make my own all in ones, but am having to be a bit more practical and accept I can't do it all. There is some good stuff on the websites you ahve suggested.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

7 apples
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Ronee
Hazelwood IN
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  7:36:01 PM  Show Profile
My stash is stinky, I have done the funk rock thing and still bad.... I would love any help. I have only been cloth diapering for 4 months!

~barefoot farmgirl Ronee,wife to one amazing apple and mommy to 5 baby apple's..
God, family and my garden are all I need in life <3
Farmgirl Sister #3103
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=538005128
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  8:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't know what you mean by the "funk rock" thing but have you tried washing your diapers in vinegar? If they are really stinky I would put a quart or so in the wash part of the cycle. Then put another quarter cup in of it in the fabric softener part of the washer. Another trick to try is washing them in ammonia. The vinegar does not need to be rinsed out and it denatures the urine and feces. I always washed Nora's with some vinegar in the wash. If your washer allows for a second rinse- that is not a bad idea too. The ammonia if you have to wash with ammonia does need to be rinsed very well out of the fabric. I would send it through another straight wash after the ammonia.

Normally you shouldn't have to wash your diapers this extensively, but if they are holding on to the smell then you have a bacteria load that needs to be killed and washed away. I also would recommend letting them dry outside in the sun at least once a month if it isn't your habit to do so as the natural UV light is a powerful disinfectant.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  9:02:00 PM  Show Profile
9 weeks to go in my second pregnancy and I will be cloth diapering. I loved the fuzzi Bunz but not the price. I looked online and figured out how to make my own, with my $200 investment, I have been able to make 28 diapers! I even have the button hole elastic in them so I can make them whatever size they need to be. I was very proud when the first completed one rolled out of the assembly line.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  9:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great job, Emily!! I made most of Nora's and it really does feel great to make your own, doesn't it? :) Even my husband liked cloth diapering and that is saying something! He is all about convienence!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  07:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Emily that is SO awesome. I wish I had that ability! I can sew basic stuff, but a diaper needs to be pretty exact, so good for you!!! :)

Also, Ronee, what type of detergent are you using? And just to make sure, you are NOT using softener, right? And are your diapers showing any color changes? Also, what is the smell? Is it an ammonia smell? (I'm trying to figure out if it's a residue, yeast, or bacteria smell.)

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:23:26 AM  Show Profile
I commend all you you cloth diapering momma's. When I had my daughter I was in the military, and the daycare on base wouldn't let me cloth diaper her, so I just gave up on the entire notion. If I have more I will do that next time.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- That is too bad! When Nora had to got to daycare and was still in diapers- they just had us pack some plastic bags and they would send home the dirty diapers. It's too bad the base daycare was so inflexible!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:40:01 AM  Show Profile
They were really weird about a lot of things. I nursed for over a year, and when I would bring in bottles of breastmilk they thought I was nuts since I wouldn't just give her formula. And they wanted her to start eating so young! I made all her baby food, which they didn't like either.I swear, next time I am staying home for at least the first six months. 6 weeks just wasn't enough.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile
wool, I've been blessed that my husband has decided that he wants me to be a stay at home mommy. I've also been blessed to be able to breastfeed-I think breastfeeding can be very difficult for some women, and I'm excited that I've gone this long (I hope to bf for a year)!

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:55:26 AM  Show Profile
PS. 7 apples, I emailed you!

Go to Top of Page

7 apples
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Ronee
Hazelwood IN
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile
I got back to you :)

~barefoot farmgirl Ronee,wife to one amazing apple and mommy to 5 baby apple's..
God, family and my garden are all I need in life <3
Farmgirl Sister #3103
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=538005128
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  2:05:38 PM  Show Profile
Diaper's exact?

Not really, they are like curvy pillowcases more than anything. The hardest part was the time and patience it took to do all the snaps with the snap setter. But in terms of technicality they are not high on my list. Here is a list of everything I used:

I bought the 7 different colors of PUL fabric, microfiber fleece here: http://kidsinthegarden.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=c48113829847111dc143bdbbfa6ca573
--I made my own pattern but they sell them on the site also for a similar diaper, I probably would have ordered the proper fabric for some make your own inserts too if I had not purchased a ton of cloth diapers from babies r us already.
The snap setter was a second quality from this place: http://www.kamsnaps.com/
The button hole elastic I found to import from china for $14 for about 28 yards.

In terms of sewing these were not that hard, just a curvy pillowcase. Also the time involved, they take about 1.5 hours each so its now at 42 hours of work.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  07:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I'd be too scared of making legholes too big, therefore getting leaks. LOL.

Go to Top of Page

nv2kenu
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Natasha
Ontario
Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Greetings all!

I am having my 3rd child and planning on cloth diapering from the get-go. I started my second child in cloth at about the age of 4-6 months, and he will be 6 this October.

I cannot remember what I used to wash his diapers, and I have changed what we use now, to something I make myself, and really don't want to go out and purchase laundry soap if I don't have to.

I purchases some Bummis Organic Prefolds, but they suggest I purchase the recommended soaps.

My recipe consists of:

1 C Borax
1 C Washing Soda
2 C Pure Soap Flakes

I then use 2 tbsp per load in a front load washer. This is for our regular household clothes, as I have not started with diapering yet, as I am due in Sept.

I also use Vinegar in my washing cycle for disinfecting, for whites and towels only, and in my rinse cycle for all clothing.

I emailed the company, and they stated that borax may leave a residue.

Anyway, I just wanted your thoughts on this. Thanks for your time.

Natasha

Pure, Potent, Fresh Organics
Visit: www.GrailOrganics.weebly.com
for Certified Organic skin, hair, body, and more!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  09:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Natahsa, I don't think there is anything wrong with continuing to use what you have been. I plan to do the same. Several of the ladies on here have mentioned doing the same. There are a few other threads though you may have to search to find how folks have handled the washing. Several talk about hot water and rinsing first.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

nv2kenu
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Natasha
Ontario
Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Laurie for your input. I will keep searching and looking around here. I am sure I will find more.

Take care!

Natasha

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  06:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Natasha- I used a similar recipe when I cloth diapered and did not have a problem!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

nv2kenu
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Natasha
Ontario
Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee for responding. Saves me some time searching the forum!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  1:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Good to know about cleaning the cloth diapers!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  7:51:30 PM  Show Profile
I cloth diapered both of mine and saved a bundle. I'd do it again. I had the all in ones and it is so easy to do. I also liked the idea that none of the chemicals on the disposables was touching my babies sensitive skin. Highly recommend it. I used mostly Fuzzy Bunz and thought they were great but there are so many varieties others may be as good or better.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth Diapering Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page