Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Lousia May Alcott, Eight Cousins, copy 1874
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lousia May Alcott, Eight Cousins, copy 1874 Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile
I have a very old 1874 copy of Eight Cousins. It my Grandma's but I have to think it might have been her Mother's because of the 1874 date. I handle it vereeeeeeeey carefully. I posted picture but don't touch the book.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  05:53:43 AM  Show Profile
I love that book, Nancy, though mine isn't nearly as precious. So nice that you have these wonderful things from your family. It's almost as if you COULDN'T have been anything else but a farmgirl, with all the things these ladies passed on to you :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, that's tremendous. How blessed you are to own such fabulous heirlooms. A treasured book. Can't you just imagine her hands turning the pages in between baking bread and mending the socks?

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Yes Jonnie and Kathleen I'm luckey to have this book. I always think of those before me when I touch or use old things. I have two of my Great Grandma's diaries that I love to read. The nice thing is I was brought up in the same farmhouse as my Great Grandma so when she write in her diary about cleaning the upstairs or sweeping the side porch I know just what she is writting about.
NancyJo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  09:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever done any research as to how much it is worth besides being priceless to your family? It would be interesting to know. What a treasure, among your many treasures!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lousia May Alcott, Eight Cousins, copy 1874 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page