Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Got bitten by a dog....Update next day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Got bitten by a dog....Update next day Next Topic
Page: of 2

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:08:47 AM  Show Profile
...... this morning I was doing my mailroute, and was going for a coffee at my friends house. Their dog came barking (normally he is behind the fence, but the husband just got home and forgot to close the fence) and bit me! He didn't bite through but...still hurt like H*** yikes. I was asked inside, examined my leg and saw the bite marks in my back knee area. When I got home I called my dr. just in case. She wanted to see so went to her. She told me (it is very bleu etc) it was a bad bite, but indeed not through and through because of the jeans I was wearing (PTL for jeans lol)BUT got a Tetanus shot and she cleaned it. Now home, have to take 2 paracetamol and keep the leg elevated this eve. YIKES it really hurts. I never been bitten by a dog etc. so this was quite a scare.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on May 19 2011 10:02:23 PM

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile
That is scary...I hope you feel better soon. Do what your doctor says and keep your leg up....praying for you:) Erica
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I am glad you are ok. I've been bitten by a dog and I can understand your feelings. It is very scary to be attacked by a dog. Sending hugs and consolation.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Dutchy! I am so sorry that you got bitten! That is a terrifying experience for sure! *hugs* I hope your leg feels better soon with the antinflamitory that you have taken. Was this on your mail route? I hope you can take a day or two to rest your knee! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee, yes during the mail route lol. Have to work tomorro, but if my leg feels stiff i MIGHT call and tell them. Not sure...depends on how I feel tomorrow. :)

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:29:35 AM  Show Profile
PS My friend (the dogs owner) just called and she was SO sorry that happened. I told her not to worry, it was not their fault :) She and her hubby are good friends and it was their dog so I can understand how she feels. But told her not to feel guilty etc. She's coming by for a visit tomorrow. I told her to let the dog stay home haha. AND that I have a "feral" kittycat

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness, Dutchy!! How frightening. My husband was attacked by a Bull Mastiff a couple of years ago and he is still wary of large dogs. Scared him to death. It ripped his arm to shreds and so I am soooooooo glad that you had on tough jeans. Shots are no fun. Hopefully, you are up and around now. Watch those muscles because they can still take some healing even though the skin wasn't broken. Okie Hugs to you!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:30:28 AM  Show Profile
sounds like reason enough for at least 2 days off. ouch so sorry you were bitten, so glad your ok. hope your better soon. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth...yikes!! THAT sounds so bad, compared to that this was a little thing. Yes I have to keep the leg moving, dr. told me to do that to prevent stiffness in the leg...so hobbling around lol

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6674 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6674 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Marian I am so happy it did not break the skin and that your friend is concerned about you. You need to rest and take care of yourself. And, I would say you are a very special friend as well.
Now, here is a story to give you a chuckle. When I was 16 years old I was walking to the little store, "the neighbors dog who was very vicious and had bitten people before" started chasing me. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, well guess what the little bugger bite me in my behind, and it hurt like the dickens. Well, by the time my parents came looking for me they found me on the roof of a car and the dog trying to get to me, seems a neighbor called them. Well, to make a long story short I did end up in the hospital as I was bitten very badly. Sadly, for the dog I was his last victim, he had used up all his warnings. The sad part of all this is it was not the dogs fault but the owners, as they should have kept their dog fenced since it clearly did not like people. To this day (40 years later) I think about that poor dog and feel so bad that it had to lose its life because of me. Thankfully it did not scar me for life as I love animals and have 4 dogs.
Hang in there Marian, enjoy a nice cup of tea.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on May 19 2011 07:43:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, I had to chuckle, as I can *see* you upon the roof lol.

Yes in a way it IS the owners fault, they also know the dog is yappy happy.....The dog is not at fault...he was following his instinct. PTL nothing worse happened here :)

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  08:07:59 AM  Show Profile
Marian, NO dog bite is a little thing!! It's just plain scary anytime an animal attacks because you just feel so helpless and vulnerable. I am just so glad that it wasn't any worse than it was and that your friends are being good friends. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  5:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Sorry this is late...but WOW!

I'm kind of shaking for you. I was bitten twice as a kid 2 different dogs, 2 occasions, so I know how you feel!

Were it not a friend, you would have had grounds to have the dog tested for rabies. Sadly they have to euthanize the dog and send its head away.

I really can;t stand it when people don't socialize their dogs.

Glad you are alright and there are no hard feeling btwn you and your neighbor
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  5:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Hope you are up and feeling better soon! I know that's very scary! When I was about 10, a friend's Lab shoved me down a flight of stairs and stood over me, growling. Her dad pulled him off of me before anything happened, thank God! :0)

Anna, they typically only euthanize if there is no proof of vaccine or if the dog is deemed vicious or dangerous to the public. Often, a dog can be quarantined either at home or at a vet's office or animal shelter for 10 days for signs of neurological disease which may signify rabies. Of course, in that case, the victim would have to get rabies vaccine anyway. This happened to my SIL who was viciously attacked by a pit bull and a Great Dane. :0(

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  6:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Marian! OUCH! You poor thing!!! 'Hope you'll be quick to mend! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  9:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Hear! Hear, Mary Beth! I wholeheartedly agree that "NO dog bite is a little thing!"

Marian, keep us posted, please.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Morning y'all. Thank you all for your sweet messages. It is now the following morning. Had a good night sleep and feeling better. The leg is still sore and stinging somewhat. A little stiff and the color is changing from red to a pretty blue lol. the area surrounding the bite is swollen ...but that was to be expected. All in all.....doing fine considering. I will go to work today, I feel fine enough to do that and it will keep the leg moving :) AND it is only one more day (1 1/2 hrs to be exact) and then have a long weekend to rest)

The dog does not have rabies, he was injected etc. so NO worries about that. Normally the dog is either inside or behind the closed fence so this was a one off...and I happended to be "in his way". Indeed NO hurt feeling towards my friends, none what so ever. She will come by this afternoon for a coffee and a chat (plus a hug knowing her ;) )

I AM a little scary now to go near dogs...and hope that will get better too. I LOVE dogs but usually keep my distance from them, esp. when they bark. And this dog....he is a German Shephard mix so kinda big lol.

What is the saying? His bark is worse than his bite?? WELLLL lemme tell ya........I'd rather have him bark at me All in all, it was a scare but doing fine. And it will NOT interfere with my visit to my brother! I told him (brother) "even if my legs were both in a cast, my arm in a sling and a bandage around my head....I AM coming to Thailand lol.

Hugs from Marian

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on May 19 2011 10:15:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dutchy-

I am so glad that you are doing so well, all things considered! You are going to have a wonderful time in Thailand! I am so happy that you get to go! Do you have a friend watching your kitty for you while you are gone?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee, yes my neighbour will watch her :) And thing my BFF will also keep an eye out for her so...not to worry about Pinkadoodles aka Miss Pinky :)

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Tried to make a picture, it turned out kinda blurry. But you can somewhat see how it looks

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on May 20 2011 07:53:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  05:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Pretty colors Marian! So sorry this happened. That poor dog was probably confused because he is usually behind a fence. I hope you feel better soon and have a good time in Thailand with your brother! I also hope you find some raffia there for your hat...pink of course. If you can't find it, I could send you some.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  06:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you had a decent night's sleep. Sleep is good to heal.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6674 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6674 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  06:33:36 AM  Show Profile
So, happy you are feeling better Marian and you are going to work. Enjoy your visit with your friend.
Have a beautiful day.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:07:51 AM  Show Profile
My friend brought me a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of flowers, all white with Hydrangeas etc, SO pretty.

My leg is hurting some more now after work...but now have the long weekend off so time to relax :) (it is getting blue-er by the hour duh)

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on May 20 2011 07:54:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Marian,

I am so glad that you are doing better and was able to get a good night's rest. How sweet of your friend to bring you a bouquet with Hydrangeas,they sound perfect.

When are you leaving for Thailand? I am so happy that you get to visit your brother and have quality time with him. Praying you get the rest and healing you need before your trip :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I am leaving on June 2nd, just 13 days from now

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Got bitten by a dog....Update next day Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page