snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  7:45:20 PM  Show Profile
I so appreciate all the advice and input we have gotten so far about our ponies! I would love your input on this one too...
We have had a horse/riding trainer come over to help my 9 yr. old daughter learn a lot more about her pony, and to get some ground work done. The mare seems to be picking up on things quick. She has been doing great, so the trainer decided to start working on riding skills. She rode her at first, then got my daughter on. Today she lunged her with my daughter on her back, on a saddle, and somehow the saddle came loose, and was leaning to the side, when I looked over, it appeared my daughter was sliding off sideways and the pony started running (in circles, as she was on the lunge line), then down my daughter went, taking a pretty hard fall.
So....she is okay, but shaken. I know with horses, there are risks, and things happen. I just wanted to be as safe as possible, and it appeared that this would be okay, until things went downhill. All the prior training we have been doing has gone well. Also, we have been watching closely since she has the foal, and she has seemed very mellow, and unconcerned, and her foal is always close by during the training. What are your thoughts? Should we have her just get back up on her? Should we make sure the mare is trained a lot better first? Is this something we should just move on from, or be more concerned about? Thanks so much for your input!!

Michelle
Snowberryfarm.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  8:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I guess it depends on your trainer's skill level, the level of the horse and the level of the rider. If you daughter is just now starting to take lessons and the horse is very green, I don't think it is a good idea for her to be riding just yet, and especially not at a fast pace. I am of the school of thought that slower is better as long as you are making progress. When I trained Tala, I took over a month to get her used to the saddle and me stepping up to the mounting block before I even got in the saddle. The first couple times I got in the saddle I had a friend hold her while I just go up, sat in the saddle and rubbed her all over, moving around a bit, talking and moving my arms. Then I got off and she was done for the day. I also did A LOT of round penning. This served several purposes. It let Tala warm up, got her a bit tired before I tried the more dangerous stuff, it got her thinking of me as the "leader", and if she wanted to buck or run, she got it out of her system before I was on her back.

Also another thing that concerns me is that the girth was so loose that the saddle was sliding around. I like my girth to be nice and snug. Especially with an untrained rider you don't need the aids giving problems such as sliding and moving under them.

It could have been an honest mistake on your trainer's part and I am sure your daughter is eager to start riding. But perhaps speaking with them both about taking the slow approach? Also does your daughter ride with a helment? I strongly recommend it! I just bought a new helment and it was only $50. I never ride without it. The few times it has slipped my mind I have immediatly gotten off and found one to wear.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  8:10:27 PM  Show Profile
First off, who tacked her up, if it was the "Trainer", she should know to #1 re-check the cinch before saddleing -up your daughter, and re-check after a few minutes, horses/ponies will bloat to keep the cinch from being tight in their mind, and after a few minutes will release that air, which in turn causes the cinch to be loose.#2, does the saddle fit this pony mare properly, it is not a one size fits all, which in turn can cause sores on the mare, and discomfort at the least, it will make her saddle shy, and hard to deal with. I am sure glad that your daughter was not hurt, other than bumps and pride. I would have a experienced rider get on her first, just to make sure that she is not going to panic incase the saddle slips, make sure your trainer knows how to fit a saddle, and double checks the cinch, then at a safe walk, and a lead-line , not a lunge line(not enough control with a lunge line)have your daughter re-mount and walk till she is comfortable...then go from there...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  8:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Good advice, thank you! The trainer did saddle her up, and we worked really hard at getting it cinched correctly, so we are not sure why this happened. We even used a smaller cinch this time. I will talk to her and let her know we want to take it much slower. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  08:44:37 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with this...the trainer should have known that when the two of them were on top of the horse the saddle had to be re-adjusted for the weight differences...I trained & exercised horses in my early 20's & you never got on a horse without double checking the saddle or mouth piece....plus a horse no matter how well mannered can go along time calm with what you are doing to it then decide its had enough...plus I am sure there was a bit of fear when both riders & saddle started moving to the sides where they are not used to the weight...definitely get your girl back on a horse so she doesn't get fear built up, the horse will feel her fear & act on it....I would recommend not doing lunges for a bit until your girl is completely comfortable & feels safe again.....also remember your fears will go to your daug...I had my son on a horse by 3 & he loved it until his grandmother went nuts on the idea & to this day at 33 he is afraid of horses which is a shame as they are wonderful animals to be around....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
You have gotten great advice! I hope your daughter is feeling better, and ready to get back on her horse! Some things you may wish to think about, one: horses pose a safety risk to us any time we are around them. Two: is a given, if you ride there is always the potential to fall off, get stepped on, or injured some other way. Training on a mare with a foal at her side often complicates the situation, although it does not sound as if this was the issue. A good trainer will attempt to ameliorate any situations where a student can get injured, but you must decide if you and your daughter are ready to accept this risk. Riding scared is an invitation to disaster. I would suggest that if you have not done so already, check out the trainer's credentials. IMHO a good trainer would not have made a rookie mistake such as not checking a girth.

Margaret

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
Henry David Thoreau

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  6:01:46 PM  Show Profile
I bet I know why the saddle slipped-- I agree with olebitty.
smart saddle horses and wily ponies have a habit. When you saddle them, they often hold their breath to stick their guts out as far as possible so that the cinch isn't tight to them, then they let the air out when they are all tacked up.
Always make sure to tighten up the saddle early in the tacking process, then walk the horse around and tighten it up again just before getting on.

Get your daughter back on the pony as soon as she's up to it, even if it's only a bit while you lead her around. Falling like that breeds fear that can last a long time.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A fall.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page