LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farm girls....as I am getting ready to leave for Pa. I am constantly thinking about our home and what I want to do to it to make it feel like mine. So, I have a question...we have a bedroom that is wallpapered completely with a very charming "blue willow" type theme wallpaper. I really like it, but find that it would be better suited for a dining room instead of a bedroom, but that is just my opinion. Anyway, it seems to me a full paint job is in order, but I don't know where to begin. Should the wallpaper be removed first, or can it be painted over? Since this is a job I will be doing myself.....is removing wallpaper difficult and how do you do it? Have any of you ever had experience with this? Thanks for your advice in advance...Hugs, Erica

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Check with home and garden tv on line. They have a lot of info on that subject.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  09:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey Erica,

I have never done this but my Mom used to wallpaper and paint when I was growing up. I remember her wetting a sponge and resting it on the spot where the wallpaper was and then using a putty knife to scrape off the wallpaper. I'm not sure how well this works there are probably products on the market now to make this easier.

I think I would rather remove the wallpaper and start fresh. Good luck with your project and I hope you will be having sunny weather soon!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  10:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, well, the sun is trying to peek through, but it is still very cloudy..but at least it isn't snowing....yeah!!!!! I actually have capri pants on today:) I knew about the wetting and scraping, but it seems all by myself that would take a really really long time. Yet on the other hand, I am really not interested in using caustic chemicals either....I noticed that Lowes or Home Depot does have a paint that will cover anything (there was a commercial about a Mom who painted over a zebra stripe design)...has anyone tried that? Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  12:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i use a spray bottle full of vinegar water and spritz the wallpaper in small sections then use a putty knife to scrape it off. Some paper can actualy just be pulled off once its wet.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Wallpaper Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page