Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile
I just posted at the blog what I did with a BOATLOAD of mushrooms that I got on sale for 69 cents per 8 oz box. I love mushrooms and they are usually so expensive.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on May 17 2011 07:46:22 AM

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Mary Beth, the sealed mushrooms in the jars are so pretty!! I think I'd leave them on the counter.
Do you not have a problem with washing your mushrooms? I always found they absorb too much water, and it dilutes the flavor. I always just wipe them off with a damp paper towel. I guess is its going in the dehydrator, you don't need to worry about the excess water.
I visit your blog often, and think it is great. Pretty pics, and I just am so jealous and in love with the Good Ol Days fest. My whole family is from Tulsa, and I fell in love with your name. I've been called an Okie all my life. When I first met my DH, he used to use the term "Okie-fied" when someone rigged something. I had to kick him many times to eliminate that term LOL

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  11:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Annette, I am so glad that you enjoy the blog. I have so much fun writing it and taking the pictures. I have to admit that my least favorite part is UPLOADING the pictures, because of the time involved, but the end result is that much more fun. Actually, I have no problem washing my mushrooms or having them get mushy. You are right about not worrying when you are dehydrating them, but I have another reason. It's kinda icky, but I'll share it.

When I was in high school, we lived not too far from Lenoir City, Tennessee where there was a huge mushroom farm. I use the term "farm" loosely, as the mushrooms were grown underground. They used horse manure as the "dirt" as horse manure seems to be the most favorable for growing mushrooms. We bought tons of mushrooms on a regular basis and ate them on everything, including salad. Anyway, my mother started having stomach and intestinal trouble and it was getting pretty acute. Nobody could figure out what was wrong. Then one day she found a monstrously huge roundworm. She made a beeline for the doctor and they did find that she was infected with these huge roundworms and had to go on really toxic meds. It was determined that she had gotten them from eating mushrooms that had not been cleaned well enough. I've never, ever failed to wash my mushrooms since!!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh, your poor momma! How awful! I'm looking into growing my own mushrooms. I saw the kits, and I have 2 closets in the guest room with lots of space, that never get opened. The only thing in there is our ski gear. Then, I don't have to worry about what's on them, or the price! And plant, animal, child, fungi, I LOVE to watch things grow.
I truely never thought to dry them though, so thank you for this blog post.

I post a lot of pictures from my phone to my blog. The quality is just phone camera quality, but its so simple. I have a little Sony cybershot I toss in, but uploading really can demand time I am short on. Then, for Valentines day my DH bought me a cannon Rebel. I have had the 35mm, but quietly and secretly, I thought, oggled the new digital rebel. I was so excited, but for some reason my computer accepted the software, but will not connect to the program when I put the camera on the usb. I have to take the card out, put it in my digital picture frame, hook the frame to the computer, use it as a removable drive, then download pics to computer, then add to my blog. I have a card full of beautiful pictures, just sittin there! Ugh.
One day.....lol

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  1:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Ooohhh. I'd LOVE to have a Canon Rebel. A Nikon would be awesome too. I'll just be happy with my Minolta for awhile.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love photography. My daddy is a retired police decetive. He had to take a lot of photography classes, and spent a lot of time with me, showing and teaching me. It's funny, you should see the pictures my DH takes. He is a point and shoot guy! His still live is pretty good, but, kids, life is moving!! LOL

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I love your blog too! It's really pretty and well written with lots of interesting topics. Also love dried mushrooms! The flavor intensifies sooooooo.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Judith!! You're sweet for saying that. Getting ready to make pizza with some of the mushrooms that were dried! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dried Mushrooms Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page