kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  3:28:43 PM  Show Profile
So the 2 game hens that have been sharing a nest of eggs for awhile now are finished. I have been checking on them every few days and they were still there. I got to thinking today that the eggs should be hatching if not already hatched. So I checked them. I lifted each hen up and there were no eggs under them. I smelled something rotten. I started moving bags of Christmas stuff around. That's when I saw maggots. And that's when I grabbed a dog crate and put them both in it and took them out to the new chicken coop with the Buff hens. They jumped out of the crate and did their little momma strut and then both dove into a dirt pile to fluff up in. Then started to eat. Then started to chase the other girls around a little to let them all know who's the boss now. So there's 2 game hens caught. And done with egg setting. Til they take over the one nest they love to lay eggs in. But I am on to them now.

The other Buff hen who's been setting on 5 turkey eggs is still at it in the garage. The eggs should have hatched by now. So a few days ago I stuck 6 Buff eggs under her. Poor girl. They should hatch June 4th. (I am feeding her and she has water right next to her.) These eggs will hatch. I just don't think Harper was doing his job back then. He is now. And I have found 8 turkey eggs. I have another little young Buff hen that went broody a few days ago out in the front coop. I may stick these eggs under her and see what happens. We saw Harper on every single hen the other day. So these eggs should be fertile.

Any others with broody hens right now? And any chickes yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 broodies and once they're done, that's it. I am not allowing any more broodies. I have 6 chicks already that I really don't need and probably about 6 more coming....so, I am going to put any future broodies in a separate pen to break them of it. I'm glad I have some dedicated hens, but I just don't need any more chicks right now.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  3:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, this is where I get all the roosters. I just butchered 5 of them last week. That's why I want to keep them all penned up so I can get rid of the roos when I see what they are. I don't mind if the turkeys are male. But roos are so much trouble with so few hens. And they just jump all of them all day. Poor hens could not move without a roo chasing her then all of them would start trying to get her. It really was getting bad.

The game roo has really settled down alot since the other 2 roos are gone. He is not always on the lookout for the other roos. He can enjoy life here now.

When a hen goes broody, it seems to slow the other hens down. I don't know why but they do. I have not gotten any eggs from the 10 hens out back yet today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  07:24:49 AM  Show Profile
hey there, YES YES YES i have a broody hen. she is in the rabbit hutch. i gave her 12 eggs. she is very happy and in the mind set. so i am hoping for more broodys. i have 2 more places for them to hatch chicks safely. i so want more hens from my girls. hows your mama doing with her eggs kris. i do remove my broody girls from the others. happy chickens sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  3:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherrye. I have been thinking about this all day and night about where to put all these broody girls. And I came up with the coop that I have the 6 meat chicks in right now. It's 10x10 and the hens would stay in their boxes and leave the chicks alone, (I hope) and they could raise the chicks in there away from the other hens. It would be perfect. And that way all the normal hens that are still laying will still lay. So I will do that tonight. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks, Sherrye!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile
I just had a moving party. I put all the broody hens in with the meat chicks. Fixed them all up with nice nest boxes and their very own eggs. The hen with the turkey eggs kind of looked like she was going to get up and leave so I had to put a board over her box. Once she gets used to her new surroundings, I will take that off. Then the hen that's been in the garage in a box of old papers, she is NOT a happy hen to have been moved. I had her a nice box with hay in it. She jumped right out. I had to put her in the dog crate with the door to keep her in after she ate and drank. Then the 2 game hens are still eating and drinking right now. I have a big box FULL of eggs just for them to share. I put 8 game eggs and 6 Buff eggs in it. I hope they'll get in it and get back to being broody. They were all being nice to the little meat birds. Then I moved the big cage in there with the 7 little Buff chicks. So now this will be the brooder coop.

Later tonight I will go get the 4 new hens and put them up front with the 4 Buff hens and the roo. There's plenty of room for them. And the 3 Auracana hens keep getting out from the coop out back.

So lots of chicken moving going on here. Or I should say chicken dancin'. What fun. I feel lots better knowing that the hens with new chicks will be contained and the chicks will be safe with their mommas and it will be so much cheaper to raise them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  8:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Lol, trust me, it's Musical Chickens around here all of the time. Sigh. Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  4:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, it looks like the 2 game hen sisters decided they didn't want to be mothers and have flown the coop. So I took all the eggs back in. Silly birds. The 2 Buff hens are still on theres so far. We shall see.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  06:02:23 AM  Show Profile
I am not having much luck with the broody hens. I went out to feed this morning and the hen that was on all those turkey eggs was out of the box sitting right next to it. I had a board across the top and I guess she couldn't get back in. So all those turkey eggs were cold. I am so mad. I should have left them all alone and never moved them. I have yet to get turkey poults. I guess I won't any time soon either. I have found one nest where one turkey lays her egg every day. But there are 3 more laying somewhere. I just need to go out there and watch them. It's so frustrating.

I hope someone else is having better luck with eggs hatching. I still have the one hen in the crate with the Buff eggs. So maybe some little Buff chicks June 4th if nothing happens to them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  07:07:52 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, i am so sorry it did not work. we had a surprise yesterday. a amaerivana came out with 2 babies. so we will see if they are ok today. i have my one red star still sitting on a clutch. i hope it works. we caught up the fryers and put them in a pen. i will butcher this week. i hope i get another broody girl. maybe your buff one will hatch some out. well off to do chores. hope all you girls are good today sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  05:05:31 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, how are the little ones this morning? I bet they are so cute. I am getting a little annoyed at my hens. I don't think I will ever get any turkey eggs to hatch. She had 2 weeks to go too. I might just stick a few Buff eggs under her and see what happens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  06:59:13 AM  Show Profile
our babies are doing good. we think she hatched them under the pig feeder. so very cute. we had a heifer calf last night. so exciting, so good when they are girls. my one sitting is still doing good. hoping for sure. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, who had the calf? I know you were expecting one. That's exciting to get a heifer.

So now the last hen that was on the 6 Buff eggs is done. So 6 more rotten eggs. I am ok with it but really wanted some turkey poults. I am finding turkey eggs all over. Well, 2 of the nests. There are 4 hens and they are free ranging right now. So they are going all over. I now know where 2 are laying. I still need to find the other 2 nests. I did see a few broken eggs out in the front over grown pasture this morning.

So no more broody hens. The 2 game hems are still running around. I still see all 6 of the game hens. I need to catch the Buff and put her up. I wish I could catch all the game birds and get rid of them now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:03:19 AM  Show Profile
I've got one of my hens sitting now-I'm so excited-it'll be my first batch! My husband also bought me an incubator, so I've got my first set of eggs in there as well. I had a hen sit for a few days, but she gave up for some reason. But this one has been sitting for 2 weeks now. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Megan, good luck with your eggs. I might need to get an incubator too if I want turkey babies. Let us know when they hatch. It's so fun to have a momma hen with a bunch of little chicks following her all over.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:44:13 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would show my 2 game hen sisters. They do everything together. This is when they were sitting on a nest together in my Christmas stuff in my milk room.

This is another hen. They will lay eggs anywhere around here. It's always an egg hunt.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 25 2011 7:46:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile
I placed fake eggs in other boxes to deter the other hens from thinking they needed to lay right where Soliel(my sitter) is at. Well one of her chicks hatched and the other has started. She decided to get up and move to the fake eggs when her little chick hatched out all the way. I have the baby in a warming box in the garage now and I am constantly waiting on the other chick the come out so I can move it too since Soleil seems to only have half the mommy thing down.

I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Amber, I hope the other egg hatches so the other chick will have a bubby. I always like to have at least 2 of something. Good luck. At least it's warm now. These hens are so silly sometimes. One of my game hens is in a bushel basket in the garage sitting on eggs that fill the whole bottom of the basket. I guess I'll wait til the chicks hatch this time to move her to the coop.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Broody Hens, Again Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page